No Carrie Fisher Acknowledgement From The DEVs

Rabin_Lorac

Well, if you don't want to discuss it in terms of moral obligation (I agree, they aren't OBLIGED to do anything. Would be just nice little show of humanity), we can discuss it in terms of Bioware incompetence then.

Because that was simple and cheap PR opportunity with minimal effort on their part. And they ****ed it up.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because that was simple and cheap PR opportunity with minimal effort on their part. And they ****ed it up.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Carrie Fisher, none of it Star Wars related. Her tenure in Star Wars was mediocre at best, and it's sad to see her so "type cast" by her fans after her death with some of these corporate "memorial demands". Carrie was so much more for her non-Star Wars activities and projects then her limited roles in the movies.

What I absolutely do not want to see the studio do is take advantage of her death with "simple and cheap PR opportunity". That is an atrocious idea that smacks of corporatism-at-any-costs... and I don't want to see it.

Carrie Fisher was a person....a gifted writer and actor, but not because of her Star Wars roles. She died. She deserves to be remembered by anyone who admired her. But corporations doing good will moves with her death with fans..... absurd.

This constant drumming for a memorial or some sort of "honorable mention" by the studio shows just how shallow so many people are these days. I'm fine with players, individually or in groups, doing their own thing in the form of remembering Carrie.... but can we please leave inanimate entities like corporations out of it?

Edited by Andryah

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Carrie Fisher, none of it Star Wars related. Her tenure in Star Wars was mediocre at best, and it's sad to see her so "type cast" by her fans after her death with some of these corporate "memorial demands". Carrie was so much more for her non-Star Wars activities and projects then her limited roles in the movies.

What I absolutely do not want to see the studio do is take advantage of her death with "simple and cheap PR opportunity". That is an atrocious idea that smacks of corporatism-at-any-costs... and I don't want to see it.

Carrie Fisher was a person....a gifted writer and actor, but not because of her Star Wars roles. She died. She deserves to be remembered by anyone who admired her. But corporations doing good will moves with her death with fans..... absurd.

This constant drumming for a memorial or some sort of "honorable mention" by the studio shows just how shallow so many people are these days. I'm fine with players, individually or in groups, doing their own thing in the form of remembering Carrie.... but can we please leave inanimate entities like corporations out of it?

That's what I think

So no memorial for Darth Vader or the Emperor? Obi Wan? Yoda?

What about like cases where there was a young and old actor for the same char?

Once the first memorial goes up, they can never say no again.

These things are driven by policy, write it up, what are the rules for memorials? How do you keep from having 100s of them? Do you use real life names or the names of the chars? If you use real life names how to you fit that in the story, or do we just pollute the story in their name?

It is easy for us to make demands because we don't have to deal with the fallout.

Are you still adding ridiculous scenarios to your arguments? Star Wars characters are not real. Carrie Fisher is real. A real human person, a person that contributed greatly to the Star Wars universe. MILLIONS love her. She was the main female lead. Like mentioned before she was part of the trinity of Star Wars. Luke, Leia, Han.

Why do you keep mentioning these 100s of memorials? Why are you making up this hyperbolic inflated number?

What is with you that once they do a memorial of any sort, that is some slippery slope? What are you so worried about? Are you that sad that your beloved uncle on your step father side's room mate never got credit for the boom crane operated when he stepped in for the day to a 3rd assistant director scene when the main boom operator called in sick?

Now you are trying to invent their corporate policy. Again, did you even read my post??? A good portion of it was slamming them for having the worst policy for showing tribute for important Star Wars icons. I stated that there must be an issue with EA, or upper management, and/or PR/marketing for them to be so silent. AND THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. I even stated how these policy show that they must not even be Star Wars fans.

You have written 3 posts now referring to the OP making the same exact argument with worse and worse points as you go. I have responded to everyone of them. You have not responded to any of them.

Easy for you to just keep posting and never responding so you don't have to deal with the fallout. Oh using your own words against you!

Cut the crap. You only seek attention by creating threads like this Do you want to get out of line? Show how big a fan you are?. There are other MAJOR issues this game has. AND YES, we know BW doesnt care about community. Also, stop using the argumentum ad personam. Has someone insulted you?

Draw attention to myself LOL. This from the person named GIRLKISS. Yeah LOL that does not have any meaning in it what so ever. You just happened to put the letters G I R L K I S S together coincidentally. I wonder if this name is even allowed in the rules? Sounds awfully sexual. Sounds maybe political too.

And yes EAware has insulted me about not carrying about the people who made Star Wars as it is. The people that put hard work and even suffered for it to give them this IP. This IP that enables them to make millions of dollars and gives them a job. All the while other companies are making a tribute in even just a tweet or a fb post and they have done NOTHING. NOTHING!!!

Welcome to the 37th thread on this topic. And no I'm not kidding.

Any other support forum would have nixed this a long time ago.

Or at least combined them all.

Do we really need 37 threads on her death?

This from the person named GIRLKISS.

This from the person who's spamming the forums on a topic that's already being discussed 36 times.

Just put her or him on ignore and move on.

Edited by dr_mike

Draw attention to myself LOL. This from the person named GIRLKISS. Yeah LOL that does not have any meaning in it what so ever. You just happened to put the letters G I R L K I S S together coincidentally. I wonder if this name is even allowed in the rules? Sounds awfully sexual. Sounds maybe political too.

And yes EAware has insulted me about not carrying about the people who made Star Wars as it is. The people that put hard work and even suffered for it to give them this IP. This IP that enables them to make millions of dollars and gives them a job. All the while other companies are making a tribute in even just a tweet or a fb post and they have done NOTHING. NOTHING!!!

Please, add sexual, political, homophobic, triskaidekaphobic etc. Conspiracy theories FTW :D

"!!!!"

I'm beginning to think that Op has some mental problems, but that's just me.

I'm amazed that people keep missing the point, or are just have cognitive dissonance on the issue. This is not as much about memorials, tributes, and whatnot. I think we can all agree - especially based on the radio silence so far - those actions would ring somewhat hollow at this point (though I remain in favor of something).

This issue is the complete failure to connect with the playerbase. As the EXCLUSIVE license holder to the SW gaming franchise, fans and players from around the world can ONLY come to one of the EA Star Wars entities (e.g. SWTOR, Battlefront). This, necessarily, makes EA and its subs responsible for being the torchbearer of Star Wars in the gaming community - they should be out in front leading on issues like these.

Many of us come to these games out of our long-standing love for the broader franchise - I'd dare say most of us do. Additionally, time and time again, these devs for this very game have claimed to be Star Wars fans themselves (and I take them at their word on that). So given all of these factors, the right thing to do here is at least ACKNOWLEDGE her passing and ACKNOWLEDGE the fact that more than a trivial number of fans are here and upset by it. To say NOTHING shows an unbelievable amount of indifference and nonchalance toward the base they claim to be a part of.

As I've said elsewhere, this is emblematic of their larger problem of connecting and engaging with their customers - simple, small, no-cost communications that the best companies do to connect with their customers. Over the course of years here, I'm baffled by how often the company fails to take the 30 secs needed to weigh in on the lowest of hanging fruit with "we here you, working on it," "acknowledged, added to list of bugs, no ETA yet," etc. Multiplied over many events, these simple gestures could have gone a long way toward keeping people engaged with this game, and giving the defenders of this game ammo against the haters. Only so much benefit of the doubt can be given...

Welcome to the 37th thread on this topic. And no I'm not kidding.

Any other support forum would have nixed this a long time ago.

Or at least combined them all.

Do we really need 37 threads on her death?

This from the person who's spamming the forums on a topic that's already being discussed 36 times.

Just put her or him on ignore and move on.

I havent done anything wrong. I'm just trying to show how the topic is inappropriate. 36 topics, well its good that you wrote it. Now I am sure that all this is crib and creating problems where there are none. Moreover, I believe that these topics are now insult to her death and making this a show entitled "Who loves more Carrrie Fisher?"

Well, they briefly brought it up in the Livestream. No comment on a tribute or whichever from BW themselves but Ben thanked those involved in the Alderaan ceremony that took place on certain servers so there's that.

This plus the whole GC debacle shows a real troubling sign of tone-deafness on the part of the developers.

I am happy that they acknowledged it as well as the events taken place in swtor in her honour, I, however, feel like that is plenty enough, she does not play any role in the game and is a figure in a very distant future. While it is sad that she passed away, I think that gamers obsession with a tribute isn't helping, let her relatives grief and put her as well as her mother to rest. If there is a future game taking place in her era, so to speak, I would like to think that some type of tribute will be made. Still, if there isn't I won't create a riot for it, she will be remembered for her role in the movies, not for a statue in a video game. Edited by RikuvonDrake

Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin

So what?

Great contribution, both of you!

Almost as great as your whiny hand wringing over a total non-issue.

Carrie Fisher died, its sad for her family, but all these tribute gatherings at House Organa and whatnot are frankly just cringey as hell, and I'd rather the devs resist the temptation to get involved and do something thats actually useful for the game (not that they do that either :rolleyes: )

!

What's sexual about the name girlkiss? Am I missing something?:rak_02:

But even if the name reeks of sex, sexual themes are a part of this game and his name being as mild as it is, I don't really see what's wrong with it.

Certainly not an offence.

On topic, I think it's sad the devs didn't talk about the obvious question regarding CF, I guess it's just not allowed. It's nice that they liked the tribute and all, but that isn't really what people wanted a word on.

Maybe they can't make this happen because then they would have to do it for everyone, not that all sw actors are near death, but they are old(er). Maybe they don't want or can't have a game full of statues and what not that have nothing to do with swtor?

/Shrugs

Edited by Eshvara

I am happy that they acknowledged it as well as the events taken place in swtor in her honour, I, however, feel like that is plenty enough, she does not play any role in the game and is a figure in a very distant future. While it is sad that she passed away, I think that gamers obsession with a tribute isn't helping, let her relatives grief and put her as well as her mother to rest. If there is a future game taking place in her era, so to speak, I would like to think that some type of tribute will be made. Still, if there isn't I won't create a riot for it, she will be remembered for her role in the movies, not for a statue in a video game.

Actually, I should have listened to the livestream before posting. If they at least acknowledged it, I'm cool.

Edited by Lium

Fisher is not part of the game lore, she was a person who played a char that was part of the future lore. Leia's Rest?

Other famous people have died who impacted all of us, this is a slippery sloop.

Rodenberry's Rest?

Nimoy's Rest?

Spock's Rest?

Nixon's Rest? lol

I'd be a fan of a "No in game memorials" policy, that way no one feels slighted.

Star Trek online handl d the passing of those associated with the fanchise with class. They added memorials listing all the people gone simply but nicely. It is fitting and felt very nice. Now a big difference is many Nimoy for one was part of that game. But still it might be nice.

They probably need Disney's approval to do any tributes in game and that probably takes time. Especially given that it was the holidays and Disney probably wasn't working either.

Disney issued all sorts of statements on Carrie Fisher. But anyway, as long as it was acknowledged on the livestream, that's at least something.

A tribute would be nice but I don't see BW doing that.