When will BioWare start to care about marauders/sentinel?

luanqueiroz

So... I've seen commanding assassins, sorcerers and juggs in the form of gods, and now I see how ridiculous the mercenaries are. It has not been that long since assassins were overpower, now they are top 2 again. Each class has at least "two HP bars" with low cooldown, maximum sentinel corresponds with at most one skill of duration between 4 / 6s every 2 minutes. I have no complaints about marauder's damage, it's great, it always was, but I would like defensive repairs, survival alternatives greater than they have today, because almost all classes today have much greater survival than sentries. Please give a defensive up in this fun class to play!

PS: Sorry my bad english.

Marauders have arguably the best defensive toolkit of any melee class right now. With the correct utility choices, you can have two DCDs that nullify almost all damage taken on short CD (Pacify and cloak), and a third DCD on a long CD (Guarded by the Force). The problem you seem to be having is that these DCDs are proactive instead of reactive. They require you to read a situation and activate them as soon as you see burst coming your way. Other classes have reactive DCDs that allow you to respond after you've taken burst damage.

Uhm... No. You haven't seen PTs and Guardians?

Guardians yes, I play both Guard and Jugg. I'm not sure what your'e saying here, Marauder is far easier to control than any jug/guard spec.

Never played PT, but dont' they also get the ring of "you can't touch me" yellow goodness that mercs get?

Edited by Vember

Sents (especially carnage) are a tier 1 dps spec right now. Jug, sorc, and pt dps round out the bottom performers- PT being especially in need of some love (although part of me vindictively likes seeing the class become irrelevant in pvp after seasons of carbonize comps). Edited by EnzoForMe

So... I've seen commanding assassins, sorcerers and juggs in the form of gods, and now I see how ridiculous the mercenaries are. It has not been that long since assassins were overpower, now they are top 2 again. Each class has at least "two HP bars" with low cooldown, maximum sentinel corresponds with at most one skill of duration between 4 / 6s every 2 minutes. I have no complaints about marauder's damage, it's great, it always was, but I would like defensive repairs, survival alternatives greater than they have today, because almost all classes today have much greater survival than sentries. Please give a defensive up in this fun class to play!

PT's and assassins (if we don't count vanish which mara is also capable) also don't have 2 hp bars.

Mara's DCD are focused on damage mitigation, not healing. And they are incredibly powerful if used correctly.

Sents have plenty of mobility tools. Multiple leaps, Blade Blitz, Transcendence, multiple ways to break roots, etc. Sure, they can be CC'd, but they also have some of the highest burst in the game if unchecked.

But they have no cc immunity, unless in Rage. Or if you take the limited cc immunity utility for saber ward on a 3 minute cool down. Pretty much everyone else has some form of short cd immunity, and let's be honest here, the real killer for a melee only class is the constant roots and snares that are ALWAYS applied, full resolve or not. As a Marauder, you can spend 90% of any given warzone RP walking around the map. Plus, with the influx of Mercs out there, electro net has become a permanent part of my wardrobe.

Rage dps I haven't really been impressed with, but Carnage is very nice. Annihilation dps is meh in pvp because of the ridiculous ramp up time.

Self healing for all three spec is crap compared to everyone else.

Edited by Vember

But they have no cc immunity, unless in Rage. Or if you take the limited cc immunity utility for saber ward on a 3 minute cool down. Pretty much everyone else has some form of short cd immunity, and let's be honest here, the real killer for a melee only class is the constant roots and snares that are ALWAYS applied, full resolve or not. As a Marauder, you can spend 90% of any given warzone RP walking around the map.

Rage dps I haven't really been impressed with, but Carnage is very nice. Annihilation dps is meh in pvp because of the ridiculous ramp up time.

Self healing for all three spec is crap compared to everyone else.

Guardians are the only other melee class with a built in CC immunity, which is only active after a leap, and only as Vigilance. Shadow's Resolve CAN be used to avoid stuns, but it is usually used to resist yellow damage burst or purge dots. On my sentinel, I have very little problems staying on targets as Combat. I think Sentinels overall are in a pretty good spot right now. (Although, I need to give Watchman more of a try.)

Guardians are the only other melee class with a built in CC immunity, which is only active after a leap, and only as Vigilance. Shadow's Resolve CAN be used to avoid stuns, but it is usually used to resist yellow damage burst or purge dots. On my sentinel, I have very little problems staying on targets as Combat. I think Sentinels overall are in a pretty good spot right now. (Although, I need to give Watchman more of a try.)

All guardians can and should spec for the post leap immunity, which is something I would kill for on a marauder.

You are mistaken. That immunity only applies to root, slows and knockbacks. Not stuns. Marauder's Predation takes over there.

Predation doesn't provide immunity, unless they changed it recently.

Edited by Vember

Predation doesn't provide immunity, unless they changed it recently.

It doesn't. However, if you take two of the three root purge utilities, you can usually have a purge available when you need one. I take 30s CD Transcendence and Transcendence purge, and the Blade Blitz root purge. These are on 30 and 35 second CDs, respectively. Because of these, and the fact that my core burst skills have a 10m range, I have very little uptime issues on my Combat Sentinel.

It doesn't. However, if you take two of the three root purge utilities, you can usually have a purge available when you need one. I take 30s CD Transcendence and Transcendence purge, and the Blade Blitz root purge. These are on 30 and 35 second CDs, respectively. Because of these, and the fact that my core burst skills have a 10m range, I have very little uptime issues on my Combat Sentinel.

How is it possible you're not chain rooted/snared repeatedly? I swear I get rooted/snared just walking out of the spawn area. i've popped predation to break a root and been rooted again in under a second. And that's a fairly common occurence.

Edited by Vember

How is it possible you're not chain rooted/snared repeatedly? I swear I get rooted/snared just walking out of the spawn area. i've popped predation to break a root and been rooted again in under a second. And that's a fairly common occurence.

If you're pushed back to your spawn, any class is going to struggle. That's different. In normal, relatively balanced games, it comes down to proper target acquisition and positioning. Healers should be a priority, but if they're sitting behind everyone with a tank watching them, they aren't a good target. It's better to attack the frontline dps first, or coordinate with another DPS to focus someone down. Look for the healer when they're vulnerable, or separated from their support.

I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but it's related. Don't overextend or dive the backline, and you'll receive a lot less roots and knockbacks.

Maybe it's because she's my main but I know why my AC and its mirror doesn't have more defensives and she does have a lot. I can literally tear through health and when I'm getting low, I pop things like Force Camouflage or Undying Rage among others, the latter is even funnier on a team with a healer because the attacker thinks they have you and all of a sudden.

We do not guard and we weren't meant to either. The CC situation, I admit, drives me up the frelling wall and I've said it when someone's left me to guard. 'Please come back, they'll CC me to death' but I have plenty of tools in my arsenal and read the situation- I can effectively use Predation... I'm an Annihilation/Watchman discipline and I know how to use my bleeds and burns to DoT someone squishy... like that idiot Guardian last night who kept trying to get the door on Voidstar. Dude, I'm hemorrhaging you and no amount of self-heals are about to save you- you are getting 1v1-ed by a Mara. But, no- he kept at it and gave me a massive kill count every time this idiot headed for the door... I could see him darting around behind the crates- it was pure zen.

I'd comment about my damage but the gearing situation is a big reason behind issues... the point is, see that idiot DPS throwing guard- absolutely savage their guarded subject, and then switch for example. A tank only has so many defensive saves and if they used them all up, they become much squishier. The only class that is downright dodgy at the moment are Mercs and their mirror...anything else is just having situational awareness of cooldowns/defensives and so on.

Guardians yes, I play both Guard and Jugg. I'm not sure what your'e saying here, Marauder is far easier to control than any jug/guard spec.

Never played PT, but dont' they also get the ring of "you can't touch me" yellow goodness that mercs get?

lol /5char

I feel your pain. I've been in many dps vs dps arena where I've felt like I have 1.3 lives to every one else's 2 or 3 lives. BUT, other than that scenario, I think sent/mara defensive abilities are fine, if not some of the best in the game. Further improving them would make the class op.

When in a match with a halfway decent/reactive healer, sent/maras can cycle through and situationally use camo, pacify, undying rage, awe (heck even blade blitz and force leap to get out of trouble) and receive a near heal to full during the duration of most of these abilities (probably no h2f during blade blitz and force leap obviously). If I had a nickle for every time I've seen a sent/mara use force camo for no reason other than....idk....it seemed like a cool thing to do in the moment...

This question was aked and rightly so about a year ago. For a long time then, marauders were awgul, and had no way to navigate through the root/snare meta that swtor loves so much.

Now? This class was given tons of shine in 4.0 (or around that time), and still has the ability to push out the extreme amounts of damage and navigate just fine through the CC using it's very strong defensives and abilities.

In a nutshell - the class is great and needs nothing. It's one of the few classes that atm seems to be about right where a class should be.

This question was aked and rightly so about a year ago. For a long time then, marauders were awgul, and had no way to navigate through the root/snare meta that swtor loves so much.

Now? This class was given tons of shine in 4.0 (or around that time), and still has the ability to push out the extreme amounts of damage and navigate just fine through the CC using it's very strong defensives and abilities.

In a nutshell - the class is great and needs nothing. It's one of the few classes that atm seems to be about right where a class should be.

It's in that spot where it's usually easy enough to keep from being kited... but still also able to be kited, if that makes sense. Just depends on the utilities you take and how you play. Which is good, I think.