Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hello...Noob questions... :)

MurkyDregs

So, I started playing this game as a Gunslinger about a week and a half ago.

It seems that I'm "Over-leveled." Meaning that just through the available heroic missions, story, and story Flashpoints I'm up to level 41, and I haven't repeated anything. IN the meanwhile I'm only up to Tatooine as far as planets go...which is a level 20'ish planet.

Needless to say, the gameplay is a real snooze. I mean nothing hurts, or worries me combat wise... I've done some PvP and had my butt handed to me, but I'm not here for PvP...Star Wars, for me, is about story...

Is this where toggling "Veteran" for PvE comes in? Or will I just be unrealistically mobbed?

Another note...I have this goofy chest piece with a cape, and everything that drops seems to have the goofy cape.

Smugglers don't wear capes? I honestly don't know what's going on gear wise but I'm finding the whole game experience really boring, and the variety seems terrible as far as outfitting a character goes...unless of course you pay, and I am a premium subscriber, even so...you need tokens to buy from the "Cartel Market."

...and yes, I have everything modded to the hilt, highest mods I can get for my weps & armor.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any advice!

Veteran content is harder than story content. But there is no veteran version of class content.

Smugglers may wear capes if that is what you like. And gear drops are random.

Everyone has to pay for items on the cartel market.

If you are overleveled, the content will be easy.

What are you looking for? What do you feel is missing?

In terms of gear, there are lots of sets available without a cape, you just have to identify what you like and where to get it. Starting with a site like tor-fashion will help you determine what gear looks good to you and will tell you where to find it. It is possible to get cartel market gear without spending cartel coins if you use credits and buy it from the GTN, but that is possible only if someone has listed the pieces / set you want, and for a price you consider reasonable or can afford. However, smuggler-specifc gear without a cape would include the chest piece available from the adaptive gear vendor in the supplies section of fleet (for 600 credits, I believe) so you might want to start there and see if you like the appearance, then move on to looking for other options if you don't.

Have you done Flashpoints or Heroic Missions? Those can be quite challenging -- especially if you do them at harder levels of difficulty.

Also, if gameplay gets stale, I recommend switching it around by trying other classes. I found my favorite class on a whim and never looked back!

You can use the appearance tabs on your character sheet to change the way your outfits look.

If you look through the GTN and search for 'chest', 'jacket' or 'coat' They're probably going to list scores or hundreds of items, some are really cheap - only a few hundred credits. - You can put these in your appearance tab, while still having your best stat-gear on the front tab.

This way with a few credits you can have several outfits if you so wish.

You can breeze through Tatooine and the next couple of planets to re-balance your level with the planet- and possibly skip heroics, planetary story arcs and needless mob-killing - or as others have suggested, put your companion on DPS or Tank mode, so they don't keep your health constantly topped up. - You'll start needing to use some of your utilities and defensive cool-downs a bit more- Which will be beneficial later on. - Also switch to a low influence companion if that's still too easy. - Or turn them off (dismiss) them completely.

IIRC you can also click off any consumable XP boosts by R-clicking the icon above your portrait. - The 2x XP boosts will really rocket your XP along especially in Heroic missions.

GL.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Yes it was said there is no increase in difficulty for the class stories and yes, as a premium account you overlevel stuff too fast mainly if its your first play through and you are doing everything.

Level sync will lower you to several levels over the planet but thats still too powerful. You dont even need gear and can run around naked (with weapons equiped ofc). This is bad for new players as they will then be overwhelmed by higher difficulty in end game.

Anyway gear comes only from vendors or drops, unfortunately a lot of vendors were removed form game so your best way is to use GTN for cosmetic gear if u have the money for it.

Thanks again...Had restarted my character, back up to level 37...I'm headed to Balmorra as Gunslinger.

Any point at all doing the non-story missions if you don't want to over level?

All the side and exploration(1) missions have a self-contained story, and those stories give colour to the worlds where they are.

I would recommend doing the holostatue stronghold mission on all characters. Pick this up from the holostatue, either in the Strongholds and Crew Skills section of the Fleet or on the faction capital worlds, on a character who is at least level 15. You can go to an existing stronghold - your sixth character isn't screwed by being unable to buy a stronghold. The reward is a bunch of useful decorations. (Remember to walk around the stronghold a bit to trigger the mission to complete.)

(1) To see exploration missions, turn on the checkbox in the top rigth corner of your "M" map panel. If this is off, you cannot see their mission givers on the map, and they do not have mission-giver markers over their heads, and they do not give missions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.