Please consider opening cross-faction communication (RPers look here!)

Mirura

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... then it's our bloody right to be dissatisfied.

Not sure that quantifies any sort of "bloody right" to customise an entire game for personal preference, I think that's what a lot of people misunderstand with the whole "Rights" movement that's bringing everyone down right now; one persons' "rights" don't magically nullify someone elses'.

Please Bioware :(

swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=131399&page=5

And yet there are numerous pvp changes coming.

One of the big things that highights the disparity in how RP is treated compared to PVP:

As soon as I login on a RP server, I get told I've joined a "[PVP]" channel straight away, to um, apparently help us in our need to discuss PVP? (along with [General] which of course can never be used for RP due to the spam)...

Why is it important to put everyone on a [PVP] channel but not [RP], on RP servers even?

Players have made some channels, but people have to seek it out, it just doesn't work for the majority of people, there's usually about what, 30 people, on the player channels out of hundreds upon hundreds on even the two main RP servers The Progenitor (EU) or Lord Adraas (US)... It just isn't working anyone can see at it if they look at the numbers on the channels, it'd be nice if it did but it doesn't, hell the game doesn't even tell you the /cjoin command EXISTS unless a player tells you :(

Most new players don't even realise there are actually channels full of people talking about RP or actually doing RP over channels sometimes too, 0 signposting so most new players tend to assume the people talking about PVE stuff on general is all there is unless they have had someone specifically guide them to the RP channels (especially since there is no channel search feature either) :(

And then to make it worse even when players make chat channels, then block them from being able to talk between factions or even in tells, on a RP server? It's so anachronistic to be blocking chat, if you are scared of PVPers ranting at each other than leave it an option like the profanity filter, but with RP it actually seriously affects the whole community because it restricts what we can do, we can only talk to people from the other faction if we happen to be in the same place by chance or have to arrange it on websites. It's a terrible situation and stops anything just spontaneously happening amongst RPers because there's no way to announce stuff to a lot of people in game whereas if someone wanted to organise a server PVP event they could just say :( (not that anyone ever actually uses the PVP channel that I've seen, ever, on the two RP servers whereas even with the many obstacles there's still a few people that use the player-created ones)

Edited by SelinaK

I understand your points, but I'm not entirely sure this is a great idea.

Part of planning a feature to be implemented isn't just about planning how people envision it could be positively used, but also how it could be negatively used. Let's say someone ticks you off in a Flashpoint or in general. What's to stop them from coordinating with the opposing faction to grief that person?

Or what about raiding a world boss, and coordinating with the opposing faction to preeminently stop a guild from killing it? Sure, they could create a character on the opposing faction and do it that way, but what you are asking for just removes a step and enables it far more easily.

Lastly, even though they are private channels, there would be griefing and harasment. Maybe not someone's idyllic a, rP-only channel, but maybe in the zerg-fest "everyone come here" channel.

Idk, I'm not set for or against, those are just my concerns.

The barrier between two factions in a game which is not based on RvR competition did not work in CoH/CoV and did not work in EQ2. Not that the TOR devs could be bothered to learn from the past mistakes of other games when it is more fun to blindly repeat those mistakes themselves!

This thread is about opening cross faction communication for RP sack and that is cool. I would like to suggest another added benefit for opening cross faction communication.

When I craft in games, I craft across all of my characters and I am able to have a larger range of crafted items available to me and not have to rely on a market that might not make what I need or want. At least, open cross faction communication up on an account bases so that one can diversify one’s crafting across one’s account.

Yeah, but that means cross-faction RP is pretty much limited to mostly chance and the occasional pre-organised events on the http://www.swtor-rp.com site - there's no way to say to people "hey, you lot, there's some interesting stuff starting up here about x and such, you should hop IC and come looK" etc :( Edited by SelinaK

In a couple other MMO's I've played, not only is there full communication between factions (if you toggle it on), but there are even social locations both factions can meet at, and in certain zones, they can even team up to complete missions.

More than that, if you know the login of the person, you can /whisper that no matter what side they're on.

It works great.

If you think cross faction communication is a big opening for harrassment, that's because you either intend to, or you're too used to WoW kiddies.

In a couple other MMO's I've played, not only is there full communication between factions (if you toggle it on), but there are even social locations both factions can meet at, and in certain zones, they can even team up to complete missions.

More than that, if you know the login of the person, you can /whisper that no matter what side they're on.

It works great.

If you think cross faction communication is a big opening for harrassment, that's because you either intend to, or you're too used to WoW kiddies.

Exactly, please Bio-Ware, open up for the cross faction RP.

EXACTLY, it always worked perfectly on cityofvillains.com / cityofheroes.com, even before they gave people the ability to switch between dark/light side: i52.tinypic.com/zurvia.png - intra-server too!

Edited by SelinaK

I've never played a game that limited cross-faction communication before, and I absolutely HATE having it limited like this. I've always been able to chat with my friends and plot /oocly with my enemies and it's been wonderful.

A lot of my friends want to play Republic and sure, I'll have an alt there eventually, but not right now and to not even be able to send a /tell to my friend asking where they want to hang out is not fun. That I would have to alt-tab out of the game to talk to a friend is ridiculous.

I'd like to at least have mutual friends-list tells, cross-faction player-created channels, and emotes freely open. That would solve a number of my current problems. Cross-server communication would be excellent as well if you are talking about friends-lists and player-created channels... that was a massive boon to planning in my last game.

Cross faction tells and emotes just cause cross faction griefing on pvp servers and that's why it's not there.

Yes which is why it should be disabled on those servers, but it is crippling the playstyle of role-players. I'm really getting tired of PvP dictating the play style of any game in general. RP servers need a special rules set and cross faction communication is a start.

Yeah, the guild i'm part of is a neutral RP/PVP guild and absolutley no thought was given towards this type of guild. Seems really strange that this happened since they made the game so you dont have to be either light side or dark side, there is an option for neutral. Makes it a pain for us because there is no way to communicate in-game with our cross-faction guild members. I understand there is not really any need for it in Normal + PvP servers, but its a feature that is deffinetley needed in any RP servers.

Yeah, the guild i'm part of is a neutral RP/PVP guild and absolutley no thought was given towards this type of guild. Seems really strange that this happened since they made the game so you dont have to be either light side or dark side, there is an option for neutral. Makes it a pain for us because there is no way to communicate in-game with our cross-faction guild members. I understand there is not really any need for it in Normal + PvP servers, but its a feature that is deffinetley needed in any RP servers.

Yeah...I know.

This is actually a very good point. Many guilds would have loved to be cross faction and without the ability to have a cross faction channel makes it very difficult to communicate in-game.

/support with a toggle possibility so those who don't even want to acknowledge the existence of the enemy can still do so and play in their single faction perfect world ;)

If it was just me, I would open All except a /Republic and a /Sith channel. The more options the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, I'd be all for cross-faction communication. If only between friends.

My boyfriend and I have several characters on both factions, and it'd be lovely to be able to play different factions, and chat while doing so. Sharing experiences and asking "Hey, dear, mind popping on your <this faction> character(s) and giving me a hand here?" And all the other questions, quotes and similar we usually share.

Having the ability to make a custom channel to chat between the two of us would be splendid.

I'm not asking for general channels to be shared. Just for the option to create a shared cross-faction channel to hang out in.

How exactly is verbal harassment across imaginary faction lines somehow worse than verbal harassment on the same faction side?

You will not get rid of verbal harassment in a game where two or more people can talk to each other.

This does not stop harassment, but it does stop cooperation, and that is the real problem.