Disappointed with KOTET/KOTFE storyline, anyone else feel that way? (Spoilers)

yaorderstank

Is it just me or is KOTEE is basically Sith Inquisitor rehash? You have a "mentor" guiding you and trying to take your body in the end, you also absorb and recruit spirit to help you defeat the big bad, and after killing the big bad, you take over his position. Edited by BattlebloodMage

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is KOTEE is basically Sith Inquisitor rehash? You have a "mentor" guiding you and trying to take your body in the end, you also absorb and recruit spirit to help you defeat the big bad, and after killing the big bad, you take over his position.

We didn't trap anyone in a monster though! Unless ... no wait ... Valkorian was trapped in us, were we the monster? :eek:

Hugely.

I play a Star Wars game for the feeling of being part of the Star Wars universe, which means running around being involved in/against the back drop of the battles between the Republic and the Empire, the Jedi and the Sith.

Not to get railroaded into a generic third mono-faction in a generic mono-story that ignores 99% of everything I've previously done because Bioware is determined to put as little effort as humanly possible into this game now.

Hugely.

I play a Star Wars game for the feeling of being part of the Star Wars universe, which means running around being involved in/against the back drop of the battles between the Republic and the Empire, the Jedi and the Sith.

Not to get railroaded into a generic third mono-faction in a generic mono-story that ignores 99% of everything I've previously done because Bioware is determined to put as little effort as humanly possible into this game now.

YES! That is the essence of what I felt, playing through these two expansions.

You know.. I'd just like to play some Star Wars, and get the feeling that I'm a Sith Lord, out for the blood of the Republic. And so on.. Not to get thrown into some weird alliance with all the "good guys". And as you said, not to play some generic storyline that could just as easily be from any other SciFi game out there. Everything about it seemed weird to me, and not the least bit Star Wars-like.

Disappointed... Very disappointed... :( Are you watching this BioWare? I hope you're taking notes. This is freakin' stupid.

Well that's my two cents. I just couldn't say it better than some of you other guys inhere.

(At least now I know to stick with the Star Wars portion of the game, from now on. Kotfe and Kotet is a totally different game.)

Edited by eighties-guy
spelling and wording

I think overall they could have done so much more with the Zakuul arc.

I'm not against the idea of the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic working together to fight a third faction, but I think SoR did the alliance idea a lot better than KOTFE/KOTET did.

On my Sith Warrior, I played him as a heartless *******, especially towards the Republic. After I had killed Aric and the Republic senator, part of me was hoping the portion of my Alliance that was made up of Republic soldiers would try to rebel and eliminate me for continuously being a **** towards their faction despite the threat from the Eternal Empire.

After becoming the Emperor of the Eternal Empire .2, I'm not sure I want to return to the Sith Empire. Empress Acina is cool, and all but I'm Emperor of my own power now, and I rather like the enormous fleet I have.

Then the next problem is where the story will go from now? I'll assume either Vaylin has taken Valkorian's spot in our head which will force us to do something stupid with the Eternal Fleet sending us into hiding (again.) or we'll get conveniently caught in the crossfire from the Sith & Republic.

And where were my companions?! My warrior is still waiting for Jasse to come back so I can kill her for dumping me.

And where the hell were the Scions?! I know they send you a mail about meeting you at the Maelstrom, isn't the 'Maelstrom' where the Empire had a secret space station? Oh, crap is he still alive?! :rak_02:

I played DS Inquisitor. I was more disappointed by KOTET than KOFE, but they're both terrible. I... thought the story should have been more drawn out. It should have focused more on alliance building, rather than cut scenes and auto dialogue. Recruiting different groups and companions was a joke, which involved no thought or effort. Bioware missed a huge opportunity here. The composition of your alliance would have been a great selling point, you know "choices matter".

THE FUTURE...

There only one way the story can go from here... betrayed from within. Think of all the factions in this "Eternal Alliance": imperials, republic, scions, heralds of Zildrog, eternal fleet, sith, jedi, knights of Zakuul, Mandalorians, and many more. They don't have the same goals, they were only fighting with you to free their respective faction. This alliance is doomed. Something is gonna happen and each faction will go their own way to acquire as much power as possible. It could finally force your character to make some tough choices or..... you know it could be just a bunch of cut scenes about children with daddy issues.

I played DS Inquisitor. I was more disappointed by KOTET than KOFE, but they're both terrible. I... thought the story should have been more drawn out. It should have focused more on alliance building, rather than cut scenes and auto dialogue. Recruiting different groups and companions was a joke, which involved no thought or effort. Bioware missed a huge opportunity here. The composition of your alliance would have been a great selling point, you know "choices matter".

THE FUTURE...

There only one way the story can go from here... betrayed from within. Think of all the factions in this "Eternal Alliance": imperials, republic, scions, heralds of Zildrog, eternal fleet, sith, jedi, knights of Zakuul, Mandalorians, and many more. They don't have the same goals, they were only fighting with you to free their respective faction. This alliance is doomed. Something is gonna happen and each faction will go their own way to acquire as much power as possible. It could finally force your character to make some tough choices or..... you know it could be just a bunch of cut scenes about children with daddy issues.

the action takes place in a galaxy with billions of worlds, plus measurements, plus the history, to find a new threat not long. But you do raise an interesting idea, to introduce such gameplay, something like a sandbox and development inside your Alliance. For example, if you play from the dark side, respectively, the Jedi your actions do not like, if you show weakness you do not support, Mandalorians, sith feeling in you weak areas and will try to take your place. this will add more realism and not so uprising flies to suppress via the Emperor/commander of the Alliance, instead of sending a fleet, troops and ambassadors

Edited by UghkoffR

I think overall they could have done so much more with the Zakuul arc.

I'm not against the idea of the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic working together to fight a third faction, but I think SoR did the alliance idea a lot better than KOTFE/KOTET did.

On my Sith Warrior, I played him as a heartless *******, especially towards the Republic. After I had killed Aric and the Republic senator, part of me was hoping the portion of my Alliance that was made up of Republic soldiers would try to rebel and eliminate me for continuously being a **** towards their faction despite the threat from the Eternal Empire.

After becoming the Emperor of the Eternal Empire .2, I'm not sure I want to return to the Sith Empire. Empress Acina is cool, and all but I'm Emperor of my own power now, and I rather like the enormous fleet I have.

Then the next problem is where the story will go from now? I'll assume either Vaylin has taken Valkorian's spot in our head which will force us to do something stupid with the Eternal Fleet sending us into hiding (again.) or we'll get conveniently caught in the crossfire from the Sith & Republic.

And where were my companions?! My warrior is still waiting for Jasse to come back so I can kill her for dumping me.

And where the hell were the Scions?! I know they send you a mail about meeting you at the Maelstrom, isn't the 'Maelstrom' where the Empire had a secret space station? Oh, crap is he still alive?! :rak_02:

You can't exactly dump someone if you think they are dead. :rolleyes:

Also I didn't think the Scions meant the literal Maelstrom Prison, just a generic maelstrom. Or... was that the joke?

THE FUTURE...

^^ this

But what I found lame , is how dueling with lightsaber.....make us look like we never used one . And holding it like it is a baseball Bat ! *facepalm*...really ? lol

You ever play a guardian? Ugh, that's the stance even when running. It's looks so stupid. Definitely go sentinel for Jedi knight.

You ever play a guardian? Ugh, that's the stance even when running. It's looks so stupid. Definitely go sentinel for Jedi knight.

yeah..I have 18 toons lol . One thing I wish for..was for Jugg-Tank to have some kind of holo-shield of some kind . That arm hanging there....is kinda weird .

I agree with most of the other posters that felt this story didn't fit my non-force users.

After playing though as light, dark, and sarcastic/neutral story I really feel that it is boring to have to replay on the other 5 classes because there is no variation based on on your class with the exception of a few lines in conversations here and there. By the time I played my 4th class I was spacebaring though the story while watching Luke Cage on netflix. And they expect us to replay it for the hell of it for CEXP.

I really wish Bioware would make this game a true bioware game. I miss having side conversations with my companions, even the ones my character is not romancing. If you think of Dragon Age for example, it really wouldn't be the same without your conversations with Varric. Having perspectives from your team members adds a whole other layer to the general narrative of the game. I think it is why I still like the old companions from the original class story more.

If you think about it with Quin for an example, you got to know him and help him with his crazy former commander, if you played they story without spoilers like I did you were actually pissed when he betrayed you. When Koth leaves and returns later only to steal your ship i thought "well, that sucks" but I personally didn't feel as pissed at him as I was at Quin. I still would be much happier killing Quin than Koth.

If you chose the DS option and killed Senya, I felt bad, but not that bad, but I did feel really bad about letting either Torian or Vette die. I felt really bad that Torian didn't at least die with some dignity befitting a Mandalorian. I would have expected him to die with guns blazing because I wouldn't expect a Mandalorian to be taken alive.

I will say that I did like having to choose between Vette or Torian (and to some aspect Jorgan and Kalyio depending on how you roll). I would be nice if they would do this more in the future. If the devs are still writing this stuff for a new expansion it would be nice to reintroduce companions in groups of 2 like they did with Gault and Vette. If your writers are having some sort of writers block here are a few scenarios and you can fill them in with your choice of companions

1. Both get recruited ex: like Gault and Vette

2. Recruitment of one will make the other leave forever

3. Sadistic choice #1 such as having to chose between Vette and Torian and the survivor joins your group and the other dies.

4. Sadistic choice #2 think of batman choosing between two-face and his girlfriend in the 2nd dark knight movie. You go to save one but when you get there it was not the one you intended to save and the one you wanted to save dies. (I think this last one would make people go nuts)

I am disappointed that we will not be getting the rest of our companions back any time soon. I am not going to renew my subscription for this of many other reasons.

And one final thing that did not make sense to me in the story is why an Emperor/Empress isn't consolidating his/her power on Zakul. From a political point of view it wouldn't make sense to stay on Odessen if you chose the Dark Side option.

I was a little disappointed too. Mostly because in KOTET, the only new companions were lightside. After getting

Arcann

in lightside I was so excited to see who we would get darkside, only to find that you get no one. No returning companions either, which is weird, since they still have so many romance companions that simply disappeared before Kofte.

I was a little disappointed too. Mostly because in KOTET, the only new companions were lightside. After getting

Arcann

in lightside I was so excited to see who we would get darkside, only to find that you get no one. No returning companions either, which is weird, since they still have so many romance companions that simply disappeared before Kofte.

Yes that is definitely diappointing, darkside you get nada, seems like they would have tried to balance it a bit, like being able to keep Lord Whatshisface, perhaps.

Yes that is definitely diappointing, darkside you get nada, seems like they would have tried to balance it a bit, like being able to keep Lord Whatshisface, perhaps.

Or Vaylin? No one would dare challenge the Eternal Alliance with her at my side. She may have even killed those companions who annoy me (Lana!!!!!!) ;)

Or Vaylin? No one would dare challenge the Eternal Alliance with her at my side. She may have even killed those companions who annoy me (Lana!!!!!!) ;)

Oh right! Why didn't that occur to me? I would only like that if she were forced into it, though. Like if we could have trapped her in Lord Whatshisface's holocron? That would have been a great reward for a dark play through. :)

Oh right! Why didn't that occur to me? I would only like that if she were forced into it, though. Like if we could have trapped her in Lord Whatshisface's holocron? That would have been a great reward for a dark play through. :)

Forced? Just tell her if she joins you, the pair of you will commit a level of genocide on the galaxy that will leave worlds screaming, stuff exploding and lots of pretties for yourself and Vaylin. Hell I think we have a possible cure to the Rakghoul plague with Vaylin.

Then as a bonus, if you give her a gift she doesn't like she'll kill you. :D

Forced? Just tell her if she joins you, the pair of you will commit a level of genocide on the galaxy that will leave worlds screaming, stuff exploding and lots of pretties for yourself and Vaylin. Hell I think we have a possible cure to the Rakghoul plague with Vaylin.

Then as a bonus, if you give her a gift she doesn't like she'll kill you. :D

Haha that would be hysterical. On the other hand though, part of me really wants to get one over on Vaylin, not be buddies with her. But I spose I'd be happy either way~

I mean what role does Arcann play in your story at this point? He's kinda tacked on at the end, what was it about Vaylin they couldn't do the same? They all going to be helping me click toxic bombs in Balmorra everyday anyway.

Haha that would be hysterical. On the other hand though, part of me really wants to get one over on Vaylin, not be buddies with her. But I spose I'd be happy either way~

I mean what role does Arcann play in your story at this point? He's kinda tacked on at the end, what was it about Vaylin they couldn't do the same? They all going to be helping me click toxic bombs in Balmorra everyday anyway.

Heh, check out this thread, all kinds of wacky ideas have come up about Vaylin. Either way I want Vaylin Bioware!!!!

On the Dark Side I think I've gone through quite a few characters (Kalyio, Vette, Scoprio, Senya, Arcann, Koth, Ex-Havoc dude on the Asylum.) It would have been nice to get someone for a DS character.

I have to Agree. For new content writing us off in carbonate sleep or similar start to scrap story content and become as weak as we did when we started playing... Sigh* poison carbonate reasoning can only go so far. Cutscene where painful to see being force push left and right like a doll, being save constantly by different sources or just dumb luck, even got me frustrated instead of feeling relief... I wont go into much detail but:

They need to refine the story and cut scenes to better reflect veteran character experience and past accomplishments and power... Seriously, I almost stop playing and cancel my sub half way through... I get they where a BIG powerful new enemy etc, etc... but any veteran class reaching that far in story should reflect how strong, resourceful and experience they are, add special unlocks or cutscene options choices, anything that reflects that, if not whats the use of a replay option? How many time can you see the same movie without added scenes? How many force push a character needs to be through for it to counter or land on its feet? Please... and don't even get me started on how force users felt playing in story... it...it did them no justice at all...you felt more epic in the class stories as an Apprentice or Padawan...that's all I will say, so yeah it felt like a downgrade.

They really need to consider this when adding to the story again or better yet refine or fix the content specially that now your can replay it.

This is a story driven mmo, its almost like a playing in a movie... stories are really good but this feels almost lazy... I know they must have their reasons for it; maybe a engine limitation, time limited for expansion to come out, I really, don't want to think its lazy writing... or worst; last expansion before Disney shuts down the game. Their running a BIG movie title, this seems to me at least, inexcusable... specially reading all the complains about PvE, PvP, horrible RNG, bad Marketing system and group content, when I return to sub for what apparently to be a good story (I thouhg to my self it was worth it and it was to a certain point)... but if they start to slip-off in what BW is know to be strong at: THE STORY driven quest gaming... then definitely things are not looking good for SWTOR team... either their short on personal, they need fresh blood to shake the rust a bit or they are having big problems to create, the Licence content now that Disney owns it. (I really hope its not all of the above)

Sorry for rant but Im glad you made this thread I really hope it turns into a mega threat and taken in consideration by the writers and devs. I was not happy how the story turn out in detail with our character and given choices in general for us... even though it was a very cool story at first. Im not saying the story content is bad, if it was I would not be playing right now or even finish it. Im just saying it really needs a bit work...it din't felt completely satisfying in the end. :confused:

Edited by Zehal

Something else that bugged me was our ships. We get them back during Chapter 9 (?) of KOTFE and for the rest of KOTFE and KOTET it does nothing but sit in that field outside the base. Couldn't we have used it to get to Voss?

The only thing I've used it for was to get back to zakuul to farm mats and it was 3k to get there, by the way, and another 1k to get to the swamp! Figured I was better off just living in the swamp than have to make that trek again..)

At least they put my companions back in there, the ones I got from the terminal. Though I have to admit, it feels like my character is having delusions when I see them there. :o

Edited by grania

The whole Zakuul diversion was a poor decision. The Jedi and Sith learning to get along and forming an Alliance just does not feel like Star Wars at all.

That said, I thought KOTET had some great moments despite being a continuation of some of the story blunders made with KOTFE. The redemption of Arcann, Nathema, Iokath, the bottle of Voss, the final confrontation with Vaylin, and the final battle with the Emperor were all great moments. I just wish they had instead been part of the old Republic vs. Empire story, with Arcann and Vaylin being Sith Lords instead of Zakuulans.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco