Sniper in PvP

Everlovin

I'm coming back to the game from a very long layoff and it appears I have a free character boost. Does anyone have any insight into how snipers are preforming in 5.0 PvP? Are there any queuing times or faction balance considerations to rolling a Republic Gunslinger over a Sniper? Thanks for the help!

Personally from what I've seen of snipers (and it is my main for HM/NiM raids, so I know the rotations) since 5.0 is that they simply do not have the Burst damage to be very effective in PvP. They put up solid damage numbers, but from what I've seen a lot of it looks like fluff damage that just gets healed through.

Granted I've tried MM, and Eng, and this is just my thoughts.

Top 3 dps pvp classes, particularly in ranked setting:

Snipers, Maras, Mercs. Sniper is a superb pvp class that benefits from the most uptime of any class in the game thanks to entrench and cover. This is why in PvE marksman is quite an awful spec (uptime is not as much of a premium) but in pvp you can often top damage charts if you are skilled. Virulence is also strong,

5.0 also brought us self-healing and survivability utilities that really addressed our glass cannon issue and let us look after ourselves while dishing out the pain.

Edited by EnzoForMe

Top 3 dps pvp classes, particularly in ranked setting:

Snipers, Maras, Mercs. Sniper is a superb pvp class that benefits from the most uptime of any class in the game thanks to entrench and cover. This is why in PvE marksman is quite an awful spec (uptime is not as much of a premium) but in pvp you can often top damage charts if you are skilled. Virulence is also strong,

5.0 also brought us self-healing and survivability utilities that really addressed our glass cannon issue and let us look after ourselves while dishing out the pain.

I disagree snipers are top 3 DPS classes anymore. Our ability to survive is a lot less than other DPS classes. We are static - and our burst isn't close to the top 3.

Snipers are good in Warzones - but not in ranked. If you want to kick *** in ranked - play a merc. Stupid easy to play, stupid easy to master.

I disagree snipers are top 3 DPS classes anymore. Our ability to survive is a lot less than other DPS classes. We are static - and our burst isn't close to the top 3.

Snipers are good in Warzones - but not in ranked. If you want to kick *** in ranked - play a merc. Stupid easy to play, stupid easy to master.

My perspective is always from ranked, and being top 3 in the class for 6 seasons in either solos or group.

Snipers bring more utility to a group ranked setting and their cc Immunity via entrench is always a godsend.

Edited by EnzoForMe

Personally from what I've seen of snipers (and it is my main for HM/NiM raids, so I know the rotations) since 5.0 is that they simply do not have the Burst damage to be very effective in PvP. They put up solid damage numbers, but from what I've seen a lot of it looks like fluff damage that just gets healed through.

Granted I've tried MM, and Eng, and this is just my thoughts.

Very true if there's a healer of any kind most of our damage is nulled / cleansed. If they're being focused and or the healer isn't there is when the class shines. They really have to use their range now since within 20m there is a high chance they'll lose that fight. Due to their channels at times leave them sitting ducks.

My perspective is always from ranked, and being top 3 in the class for 6 seasons in either solos or group.

Snipers bring more utility to a group ranked setting and their cc Immunity via entrench is always a godsend.

Question: I find that it is way too easy for a group to simply LOS the damage of MM. Most our damage is through channels, FT only procs after channel skills (except the execute). How do you deal with people who draw your group to a LOS heavy engagement?

I'm thinking the group should be withdrawing to open, but am unsure if that'd be enough since every map has LOS EVERYWHERE.