The New Content is Not Even an MMO!

Meraxos

Last night my wife was playing through the last of the KotET content and was struggling at one point. We are older gamers and one of the main reasons we play MMOs is so we can help each other and do things together. But last night I realized that all of the new content does not allow grouping at all.

Personally I don't play MMOs so that I can be dragged along like a puppet through a pseudo-interactive cartoon. Especially not if it's in mandatory solo mode. There was a bit of this back in the original game's class stories but at least those stories were tailored for each class, mostly made sense, and COULD BE DONE IN A GROUP IF DESIRED!!

Other major MMOs like WoW and Final Fantasy are now channeling the player down a very narrow and controlled path. Open world elements have fallen away and you are forced to be the big hero in THE BIG STORY. But at least you can group and in some cases (Final Fantasy) you are forced to group.

I've played SWTOR on and off since release and have had a lot of fun with it. My desire to play took a huge hit back when all the companions were homogenized. But I still came back. This current emphasis on layering a single player story game on top of the half-dead carcass of an aging MMO is almost certainly the thing that will now drive me away for good.

While it is true that first run-through on story mode on chapters is solo effort... ..

....It is incorrect to say there is not group content released in 5.0, and that it therefore is not and MMO.

They did launch with some group content, and more is on the way in the next few months.

Story chapters ARE designed, and tuned for solo. And you know.. there are ways to help your wife through something without putting your character in play with her. You can help her work out strategies to overcome things that are posing a challenge and even sit next to her and observe and advise.

Like someone said, just because you can't share one thing in 5.0 (story) doesn't make it not an mmo.

While I don't find it interesting, it would have been a nice option to have other players enter your story for those who desire it.

I guess it's difficult when everything is basically instanced and there's no way to really leave the area or enter it aside from pressing play. I also wonder if this is because they want to stop f2p players or people who don't have the expansion to be part of it.

But maybe that's just me tinfoil hatting.:rak_03:

....It is incorrect to say there is not group content released in 5.0, and that it therefore is not and MMO.

They did launch with some group content, and more is on the way in the next few months.

They released the BARE MINIMUM for people like you to be able to say that... that you buy into it and repeat it shows a lack of insight on your part...

Technically we have new PvP content in the past year, there were two new maps, but it doesn't make up for the completely inattention to PvP for years...

They released the BARE MINIMUM for people like you to be able to say that... that you buy into it and repeat it shows a lack of insight on your part...

Technically we have new PvP content in the past year, there were two new maps, but it doesn't make up for the completely inattention to PvP for years...

Exactly. Grouping with three other people for 10-15 minutes at a time is a rather liberal interpretation of "massively multiplayer."

The OP is incorrect. Others can join you in your personal chapter stories. All you have to do is go into the chapter, right click your portrait, and then summon the person in your party to your instance. You are more than able to play with your wife in these chapters should you choose to do so. This applies to KOTET and KOTFE. It has always been a feature. The problem is BioWare never articulated it very well, so many assume these chapters are solo-only. They work the same way class stories did at launch.

Edited by Aowin

I agree,

Now I am glad that other people couldn't steal my kills in the new story, last thing I wanted was to travel to **** in the middle of a war and find everything was dead and I was just taking a walk from point a to b.

But to say 4 Uprisings make this an MMO thats like saying any single player game with 4 player co-op missions is an MMO. The original game and all that went with it was an MMO 5.0 is single player co-op. Which doesn't make it a bad thing just doesn't make it a living breathing massive multiplayer world where you feel you are living in the star wars universe.

Its not a MMO its a movie with a few sections where you may or may not get to move 20 or 30 feet before the next cut scene, I will not run another character through a movie.

I found myself wishing to log off because I found I was merely sitting and watching and not getting to do much of anything. I log on to play, not watch.

Even in the big boss fight, cut scene after cut scene,

So the group only uprisings, aren't MMO content. Okay then.

Are you suggesting that anything with 4 man group play is an MMO?

There are no new open world areas, no new open world content.

All that was added was solo play and a 4 man mini zones (4 in total) that are independent of all other aspects of the game, arrived at through a lobby style system of waiting for 4 people get together. You can't even enter them if you don't have a 4 man team and want to explore.

To suggest that 4 uprisings an MMO make is a not a good argument. Had they added even a single open world area there may be an argument, but you could take 5.0 place it into a game like mass effect 3 and nobody would realize it was meant to be MMO content.

The OP is incorrect. Others can join you in your personal chapter stories. All you have to do is go into the chapter, right click your portrait, and then summon the person in your party to your instance. You are more than able to play with your wife in these chapters should you choose to do so. This applies to KOTET and KOTFE. It has always been a feature. The problem is BioWare never articulated it very well, so many assume these chapters are solo-only. They work the same way class stories did at launch.

Oh wow. Cool! Thanks for that!

Thanks for that. I had no idea. In fact, nobody I know had any idea of this feature. But it helps.

By the way, I was not saying that the entire game is no longer an MMO. I was saying that the new content is fundamentally not MMO content. Which it's not.

:eek: I didn't know either, thanks! :D

Apparently that is not the way they want people to play the game. :t_eek:

Are you suggesting that anything with 4 man group play is an MMO?

There are no new open world areas, no new open world content.

All that was added was solo play and a 4 man mini zones (4 in total) that are independent of all other aspects of the game, arrived at through a lobby style system of waiting for 4 people get together. You can't even enter them if you don't have a 4 man team and want to explore.

To suggest that 4 uprisings an MMO make is a not a good argument. Had they added even a single open world area there may be an argument, but you could take 5.0 place it into a game like mass effect 3 and nobody would realize it was meant to be MMO content.

You can enter them solo if you want, just wont get very far even in story mode. I only made it to the second boss and then failed epicly... silly companions don't know how to hide from snipers :D

I'm not sure (yet) but I believe you can group to do the new content in "Veteran" mode.

you should have used air quotes for ''content'' too

new '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''content''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

like that tbh

Edited by Menetes