Don't force us to choose a side in DvL war!

AlCiao

So with the new ongoing DvL war thing, pretty much everything we do, including crew skill missions, earn us LS or DS points.

But for lots of my toons, I like to see where they end up, alignment-wise, based purely on story choices. That means, if I want to avoid 'artificial' alignment gains, I can't do crew skills on those toons!

PLEASE give us the option not to pick EITHER side in the DvL war!

Thank you.

Maybe I misheard in the dev live stream, but I was under the impression that the whole DvL war wasn't supposed to affect your own personal alignment? I was really pleased with myself in making pragmatic decisions that resulted in my Sith Warrior being gray at the end of her story, but if I want to keep that standing, I have to keep flipping the DvL switch...? Also, it makes no sense to me why anyone should get Dark/Light points for neutral activities.

But for lots of my toons, I like to see where they end up, alignment-wise, based purely on story choices.

Good luck with that. Check out the new range. Where it used to be -10k to +10k it's now -100k to +100k. No clue if they adjusted the levelling story gains but the flashpoint ones are still the same as they were under the 10k system.

If they haven't you'll be lucky to hit Dark or Light 2 by the time you're 70.

You get light- or dark-side points just by going out and defeating enemies. :/ My knight was solidly in the middle of Light III, so out of curiosity I turned on the "dark side" alignment. Two missions and a lot of dead enemies later, he'd slipped to Light II. Yeesh.

*turns on dark-side alignment*

Knight: AND THE FEVER BEGAN TO SPREAD. FROM MY HEART DOWN TO MY--

*turns on light-side alignment*

Knight: Everything's coming up rooooses and daaaaaffodiiiils--

Knight: WHOSE SIDE AM I ON. WHOSE SIDE AM I. WHOSE SIDE AM I ON--

Knight: I'm waaalkin' on suuunshine, whooa-oh! I'm walkin' on suuunshine, whoooa-oh!

...He's starting to get just a little confused.

Yeah, I'd definitely like an option to turn off dark/light-side points for something as meaningless as completing missions. Unless it has an explicit dark/light side choice (in a cutscene: kill this enemy or let them live, for example).

Edited by Jagaimee

Yeah, I'd definitely like an option to turn off dark/light-side points for something as meaningless as completing missions. Unless it has an explicit dark/light side choice (in a cutscene: kill this enemy or let them live, for example).

Wont happen, this is their way to simplify story writing even more and make your decisions even more meaningless.

You get light- or dark-side points just by going out and defeating enemies. :/ My knight was solidly in the middle of Light III, so out of curiosity I turned on the "dark side" alignment. Two missions and a lot of dead enemies later, he'd slipped to Light II. Yeesh.

Knight: AND THE FEVER BEGAN TO SPREAD. FROM MY HEART DOWN TO MY--

Knight: Everything's coming up rooooses and daaaaaffodiiiils--

Knight: WHOSE SIDE AM I ON. WHOSE SIDE AM I. WHOSE SIDE AM I ON--

Knight: I'm waaalkin' on suuunshine, whooa-oh! I'm walkin' on suuunshine, whoooa-oh!

...He's starting to get just a little confused.

You win the Internet today. :)

----

But yeah, I agree with OP. I do have some toons I'm very happy to be Light V or Dark V, but I have a bunch I want for headcanon reasons to be grey. I don't mind flipping back and forth to keep them there, but I'd rather just be able to opt out of alignment changes entirely. If I could still pick a side, but not change my personal alignment, I'd be okay with that, too.

Edited by AlixMV

Going to chime in here. I started out F2P just over a month ago because I was on a serious star wars kick and wanted an rpg that wasn't replaying Kotor or its sequel for the umpteenth time. So I came here, played through the Imperial Agent story (thank goodness for the DvL event's xp boost) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I figure that experience was worth a bit of my money and I'd like to see what other stories the game has to offer.

This anecdote should underline that I am here for the rpg/story and nothing else. Now this update drops and that cute little morality system that has to be there because jedi v sith is suddenly a progress bar to grind, not a representation of a character's rp. I loved the agent story because I ended up grey at the end of it, without jedi or sith dogma guiding a character you're free to choose and I love that it was reflected. Sometimes saving people would endanger your mission and blow your cover, other times going full dark side and executing prisoners would be a foolish waste of a potential resource and intel.

The entire point of the system's been lost and I'm sad that I was here to see it go.

On a related note what does the whole force balance thing actually do other than be an annoying pop up every half hour or so?

... Now this update drops and that cute little morality system that has to be there because jedi v sith is suddenly a progress bar to grind, not a representation of a character's rp...

I think you just hit the nail on the head there of why I don't like the change. :(

I was reading this thread as I started a new crew skill on my consular, switched to archeology, so, not like diplomacy where you get both light and dark side points from some of the missions with this dvl thing.

And it made me curious as to whether my light side points would drop( was light all the way up to 65, and now with this dvl, chose dark) and yes, I'm sitting here seeing my light side points drop with every mission.

Edit: Which obviously is fine by me, since I chose to align with the dark side, but I can completely see how it is annoying and then some, for people who would prefer to just progress their dark or light side through story choices.

Edited by djungelvraaal
Adding things

And we were told that "it won't affect our personal levels"?????

Exactly, something else I think they forgot to mention, was that, which someone has pointed out already, it's not capped at 10k anymore, it's 100k, and I believe someone said something about that aswell, it makes no sense to raise the cap, if the things we do in game, like crew skills, and whatnot, wouldn't affect our personal levels.

Edit. still grinding my archaeology, and I get about 44 ds points for each mission( at lvl 4 mind you, I expect those numbers to go up as I get higher lvl with the crew skill)

Edited by djungelvraaal