End of dialogue confirmation box

MollyDresden

I know a lot of people who play this game don't care all that much about the story part of it, but for some of us, the story is the primary appeal of the game. And how many times have we accidentally chosen a dialogue option which didn't turn out how we wanted, only for the dialogue to immediately end and that choice to be locked in? Maybe we accidentally reject a companion's romance option, thus locking us out of that romance on that character permanently. Or maybe we made some major class storyline choice which we'd rather have done differently. Myself, I most frequently run into these two: I want to see as many of the dialogue options as possible, so I click through and watch them, trying to escape out before the dialogue ends but don't always manage it because there's no warning; and often the text that you click on when you make your choice doesn't match up (or not in the way you expect it to) to what actually happens/is said and you end up with a dialogue/action choice which is totally unfitting for your character.

For a long time now I've wished for some kind of "redo last conversation" feature, but then it occurred to me that there's a much simpler way to do this. Just make an option in the system preferences, right there next to the ticky box that lets you skip cut scenes entirely, for players to choose to have a confirmation box pop up at the end of conversations that let you choose to either confirm the end of the conversation and progress or cancel out of the conversation so that it's still available (as if you'd clicked the escape key). And before anyone starts complaining about how annoying it would be to have to click a box after every conversation, note that I'm suggesting it be an option you can turn on or off in your system preferences at will. If you don't want that feature, you'd never have to see it or be bothered by it. But I know that for me, being able to know that the conversation won't end until I'm satisfied that it played out in the way I like best would immensely increase my enjoyment of this game.

TLDR; ticky box option in system preferences to require player to confirm conversation ends (or allow redo), which the player is in complete control of whether they want to require that confirmation box or not

Good idea. I've occasionally been bitten by the abrupt end of some conversations. I'd recommend having it only work in "solo" conversations. That is, not in TFPs, HMFPs, and Ops, and not in Star Fortress missions if you do them in a group. (Might be simplest to say that the confirmation box only works if the player is not in a group.)

Oh yeah, solo only makes total sense. Another way to accomplish pretty much the same thing would be to have it not on repeatable missions, since those are usually the group ones and the whole point would be to not miss or make a mistake on one-time-only dialogues.

/notsigned™

You can always press ESCAPE up until the final choice but after that and you can't then, well, take more time to consider your responses instead of space-barring or speed-reading through everything.

It's not up to others to always take care of your issues. Own them and take responsibility for your decisions. It's not the end of the world.

Wow, PetFish, you clearly didn't read anything I said. Just telling people to own their choices is really not helpful and kinda rude.

Also, I *never* space-bar or speed read through the dialogues (except in flashpoints, which obviously isn't what this suggestion is for). So again, please read the actual explanation that I gave before jumping to assuming I'm a complete idiot.

Edited by MollyDresden

/notsigned™

You can always press ESCAPE up until the final choice but after that and you can't then, well, take more time to consider your responses instead of space-barring or speed-reading through everything.

It's not up to others to always take care of your issues. Own them and take responsibility for your decisions. It's not the end of the world.

Agreed.

Anyone coming from other Biowar games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect know how to own our bad choices...and we don't even have the Esc feature in those games.