The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Jedi Code

Cuiwe

The "there is no x" version has never made much sense.

Those things obviously exist, even for Jedi. It implies a perfect ideal that is totally unattainable.

The "yet" version implies rising above those things the Jedi see as bad, without denying them.

Still rather silly like most simplistic creeds, but not as bad.

Edited by MadDutchman

The "there is no x" version has never made much sense.

Those things obviously exist, even for Jedi. It implies a perfect ideal that is totally unattainable.

The "yet" version implies rising above those things the Jedi see as bad, without denying them.

Still rather silly like most simplistic creeds, but not as bad.

I wouldn't say silly per se. Accepting oneself and making the most out of the hand you've been dealt is...an art practically.

But "there is no" version is indeed very crappy. There is no death(but you still die? wut)? There is no emotion(really? How about hunger? How about the instincts)? Nonsense. I always wrote it off as a mistranslation. And a rather militant and zealous approach. Just compare: "There is no other choice" and "There are choices, yet there are good choices". Which one sounds more like a command or more dogmatic?

You shouldn't take the Jedi Code so literally. Think outside the box. This is my interpretation of the Jedi Code. I hope this will enlighten you.

a) There is no emotion. There is peace.

1) remain detached

2) remain focused

b) There is no ignorance. There is knowledge.

1) know yourself

2) know your enemy

c) There is no passion. There serenity.

1) silence all internal conflicts

2) banish all negative thoughts and stimuli

d) There is no Chaos. There is harmony.

1) stay focused on the task at hand

2) do not allow external conflicts or stimuli disrupt you

3) keep your mind on the here and now

4) be mindful of the living Force

5) allow the Force to guide your actions and thoughts....

e) There is no death. There is the Force.

1) all things perish

2) all life returns to the Force

3) all life becomes the Force

4) all life comes from the Force

5) do not dwell on those who have passed

6) rejoice for those who pass and become one with Force

Edited by Darth_Krushya
clarity

You shouldn't take the Jedi Code so literally. Think outside the box. This is my interpretation of the Jedi Code. I hope this will enlighten you.

a) There is no emotion. There is peace.

1) remain detached

2) remain focused

b) There is no ignorance. There is knowledge.

1) know yourself

2) know your enemy

c) There is no passion. There serenity.

1) silence all internal conflicts

2) banish all negative thoughts and stimuli

d) There is no Chaos. There is harmony.

1) stay focused on the task at hand

2) do not allow external conflicts or stimuli disrupt you

3) keep your mind on the here and now

4) be mindful of the living Force

5) allow the Force to guide your actions and thoughts....

e) There is no death. There is the Force.

1) all things perish

2) all life returns to the Force

3) all life becomes the Force

4) all life comes from the Force

5) do not dwell on those who have passed

6) rejoice for those who pass and become one with Force

I don't take it nearly as literally as some do. The Council is retarded with them blindly following it and even the Yoda's council remained as steadfast in the literal adherence to it. Such pure zeal brought great ruin to the galaxy.

It should be merely a guidance when in doubt, not the end all be all law.

It is a lot less dumb than the Sith code.

There's that, at least.

If you just grabbed a motivational pamphlet right now and generalized what was in it, the Sith Code would be almost paraphrasing it -- if you tried to apply the Sith Code to your real life, you'd likely see improvements in your day-to-day gains (particularly, socially and emotionally) whereas if you attempted to do the same with the Jedi Code you would find yourself shooting for an impossible ideal.

In short, the Sith Code is realistic. The Jedi Code is no more realistic than believing so hard you become a butterfly.

If you just grabbed a motivational pamphlet right now and generalized what was in it, the Sith Code would be almost paraphrasing it -- if you tried to apply the Sith Code to your real life, you'd likely see improvements in your day-to-day gains (particularly, socially and emotionally) whereas if you attempted to do the same with the Jedi Code you would find yourself shooting for an impossible ideal.

In short, the Sith Code is realistic. The Jedi Code is no more realistic than believing so hard you become a butterfly.

I don't think achieving victory through power, strength and passion is a particularly good way to run your life either.

I don't think achieving victory through power, strength and passion is a particularly good way to run your life either.

Pretty much.

It also begins with "Peace is a lie," which I'm sure would be startling news to Switzerland. It also sounds like something a edgelord would say.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Meh, both the Sith code and jedi code are extremes at best. I prefer this one:

There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi

Grey Jedi code created by a fan. Way better.

How's the Sith Code supposed to be realistic? Perhaps more applicable than the Jedi Code, but the JC is supposed to be a spiritual guideline towards peace / enlightenment, not towards physical benefits.

Meh, both the Sith code and jedi code are extremes at best. I prefer this one:

There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi

Grey Jedi code created by a fan. Way better.

The Gray Jedi code is fanon ********. The term "Gray Jedi" doesn't even refer to force users who can use both sides of the force which is just an excuse to make OP fanfic characters. Canonically speaking only Revan could ever do it. "Gray Jedi" refers to Jedi who have common sense and don't follow the code blindly, like Qui-Gon Jinn.

~ Eudoxia

It is a lot less dumb than the Sith code.

There's that, at least.

Ha...HAHAHAHA! The Sith code is the only one of the two codes that tells the truth.

Peace is indeed a lie, passion is all there is for us mortals, we cannot avoid it.

Passion does indeed give us strength. Even without the Force intense emotions can increase your adrenaline levels to temporarily increase your strength. Passion can give you the drive and motivation to endure long struggles to accomplish something you might have otherwise given up on.

Strength does give you power, however you want to look at it strength of any sort will ultimately give you power. Can you run faster than everyone else you know? Become a professional athlete, make money, use that money to do whatever you want. Power. Are you in possession of a keen intellect? There are a million ways to turn that into power, pick one. Whether you get money, influence, or knowledge, you get power. And those are just two examples...

Power does indeed bring you victory. Not every time sure, but you will be victorious in your struggles more often than a weak person will.

Victory brings you freedom. If no-one can defeat you, they will find it hard to control, direct, or restrain you. Through victory our chains are broken!

The Sith are the only ones in possession of the truth. The Jedi are merely lying to themselves.

Ha...HAHAHAHA! The Sith code is the only one of the two codes that tells the truth.

Peace is indeed a lie, passion is all there is for us mortals, we cannot avoid it.

Passion does indeed give us strength. Even without the Force intense emotions can increase your adrenaline levels to temporarily increase your strength. Passion can give you the drive and motivation to endure long struggles to accomplish something you might have otherwise given up on.

Strength does give you power, however you want to look at it strength of any sort will ultimately give you power. Can you run faster than everyone else you know? Become a professional athlete, make money, use that money to do whatever you want. Power. Are you in possession of a keen intellect? There are a million ways to turn that into power, pick one. Whether you get money, influence, or knowledge, you get power. And those are just two examples...

Power does indeed bring you victory. Not every time sure, but you will be victorious in your struggles more often than a weak person will.

Victory brings you freedom. If no-one can defeat you, they will find it hard to control, direct, or restrain you. Through victory our chains are broken!

The Sith are the only ones in possession of the truth. The Jedi are merely lying to themselves.

The Sith Code has absolutely no application to real life.

Even within the fictional Star Wars universe it is a bunch of malarkey. Peace is the absence of warfare. There are periods within the Star Wars universe without conflict, so the statement that peace is a lie is just a meaningless edgelord quip. Many of the wars that are waged in the Star Wars galaxy are also caused by the Sith themselves.

The chains are broken bit is a real howler, too. What freedom are the Sith fighting for exactly? Applicable perhaps if one is born a slave and only later becomes a Sith, but that's not the typical Sith story. Most are born pampered nobles. They're literally part of the 1%. Every Sith who isn't an Emperor is also chained to his or her master, having no purpose other than as an executor of that master's will. Ironically the Sith are more slaves than not only the Jedi, but even the average muggle in the Sith Empire. The average Sith Empire citizen that isn't a force user isn't owned by anyone in the same way that Sith are owned by their masters.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I agree with your interpretation of the Sith code. But I believe the Sith have a skewed view of that truth, due to their arrogance. And the Jedi are aiming for something extremely hard to get. (my 2 cents) :)

Something a friend once found for the guild for the Jedi Code. This sometimes helps explain the code in better detail.

Meaning of the Jedi Code

" There is no emotion, there is peace "

Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with.

" There is no ignorance, there is knowledge "

A Jedi must be circumspect and try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist is, of course, a flat-out lie or gross misunderstanding. Simply ignoring facts that do not fit with one's viewpoint is equally foolhardy. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. For more knowledge to light their way, the Jedi Temple Archives contain possibly the single largest source of information in the galaxy, but this tenet also reminds the Knight that knowledge can be taken from the most unusual places. This tenet points out that often a Jedi must use not only his rational mind but also his intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation.

" There is no passion, there is serenity "

This tenet is more than a repetition of the first. It refers more directly to situations of extreme stress in which a Jedi might be tempted to react strongly, or be so focused on the task and not the goal. That a Jedi must draw his weapon only in defense is an expression of this tenet, keeping all other options open. While emotions and intuition must be understood and utilized in a Jedi's daily life, they must be checked, lest the Jedi act rashly and lose objectivity. Passionate use of power leads to the dark side. A Jedi must always act with a calm hand and an even temper. "when in doubt, stay your hand", observing each situation as clearly as the Force sees it, not clouded with unbridled passion.

" There is no chaos, there is harmony "

This statement reflects the cosmology of the <Jedi Order>. Whereas uninitiated beings see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realizes that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent, in a never-ending cycle of balance. While an uninitiated being sees sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. Every event has a purpose. Minor inconveniences such as failure, disappointment, and disagreement are also inevitable and should be taken in stride. Jedi do not deny the fact that tragic and terrible things happen; they merely point out that tragedy is simply another part of life. This too leads to a balanced, objective, and realistic view of existence.

" There is no death, there is the Force "

A common argument is merely observing how a thing affects another thing, preventing those aware of their own finite existence from truly seeing the world as the Force sees it. A Jedi, like many ancient feudal knights of various empires, must always be ready for death, and not obsess nor be ruled by it. As a warrior not only in combat but also in day-to-day life, it is easy to fail and fall, then rise up without distraction or attachment holding the Jedi back. The sense of loss is often even greater for one who feels it with the Force, and it is difficult to maintain equilibrium. Death, however, is not a tragedy and is merely a part of the life cycle. Without death, life could not exist. The Force in us, still lives on after we die. This tenet represents the view of the Jedi Order that accepts, indeed embraces, death and life, rot and growth, corruption and purity, not as opposites but as dual pairs, each can't exist without the other, as nature intends. As such, Jedi do not fear death nor do they mourn it overmuch; a Jedi, after all, must celebrate death if he is to also celebrate life. While sources disagree on this point, it is noteworthy to point out that this tenet does not support vegetarianism among the Jedi but, some scholars argue, it does in fact support omnivorism among Jedi, whatever life form does to survive. In one notable encounter, a Jedi continued to deal with Colicoids after a companion was slain and consumed, maintaining that if the Colicoids did not act thus, they would not be following their own path, and if he allowed sentiment to cloud his dealings, he too, would not be on his path either. This tenet is often quoted upon a Jedi's death, sometimes referring to becoming one with the force, or even as living forever as a force ghost. This tenet also reminds the Jedi that death is a transitory state for any living being and is not truly an end to one's life, but merely the beginning of the next stage of one's journey. Through the Force, existence continues both as a constant state of connection to all living things as well as through the state of afterlife which follows death. Death, as perceived by the living, is an illusion and the Jedi must strive to remember this, as it removes what is often seen as the ultimate instinctual fear. When the Jedi have accepted the natural place of their own ending as well as the knowledge that whether they prevail or fall, the Force will remain with them, it becomes easier for a Jedi to put those fears aside and focus on the matters at hand.

I feel so bad for people who try to apply the Sith Code to real life or feel that it is real or that the Sith are not evil.

You need to stop taking it literally or stop believing it's real. It's all fake. It's all a fantasy.

Some years ago, while playing Knights of the Old Republic on my XBOX, I came to the place in the Sith Academy where you address the purple Twi'lek woman Yuthara Ban who helps you understand the meaning of the Sith Code.

I wrote it down in between dialogue response choices. I cleaned it up so it looked more like an educational document and less like video game dialogue. I doubt you can take it literally or apply it to your real life. Here is the Sith Code and it's interpretation. Enjoy.

THE SITH CODE

PEACE IS A LIE. THERE IS ONLY PASSION.

THROUGH PASSION, I GAIN STRENGTH.

THROUGH STRENGTH, I GAIN POWER.

THROUGH POWER, I GAIN VICTORY.

THROUGH VICTORY, I GAIN FREEDOM.

THROUGH FREEDOM, MY CHAINS ARE BROKEN.

THE FORCE SHALL FREE ME.

PEACE IS A LIE. THERE IS ONLY PASSION.

The Jedi would have you believe that peace is a desirable goal, that peace of the spirit is the way the Force is

mastered, that a lack of conflict betters man.

We [The Sith] know different. It is our passion, our hate, and our desire that fuels the Force. It is conflict

that improves the lot of civilization and the single being both.

Conflict forces one to better oneself. It forces change, growth, adaptation, evolution, or death. These are

not our laws, but the universe's. Without conflict, you have only stagnation.

THROUGH PASSION, I GAIN STRENGTH.

What fuels your power with the Force but your passion? The stronger, darker emotions: anger, hatred, fear.

These passions empower us. What about love? Love is more dangerous than all of those things. Love leads to

anger and hatred more often than not, but it also leads to mercy, which is far worse. That, however, is a lesson for

another time.

What keeps the most rudimentary creature alive? Fear to run, anger to fight... without it, a creature would

most surely die.

We are far more than them, perhaps, but in some ways we are little different. To think us creatures beyond

the need of simple passions is a delusion.

The Jedi say the opposite. How can both be right? The Force gives us all power, even the Jedi. It is our

mastery of our passion that gives us the strength they lack.

It is our goal to be stronger, to achieve our potential and not rest on our laurels. We are the seekers not the

shepherds.

THROUGH STRENGTH, I GAIN POWER.

The stronger you become in the Force, the more power you will achieve. But always, you must fight for your

power. Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is

only stagnation.

THROUGH POWER, I GAIN VICTORY.

How many sorts of victories can you imagine? Peaceful victory, victory by sacrifice, a truce, an achievement?

Unless the victory is achieved by demonstrating that your power is superior, it is only an illusion. Temporary at best.

We seek more.

THROUGH VICTORY, I GAIN FREEDOM.

THROUGH FREEDOM, MY CHAINS ARE BROKEN.

This has been argued over, and often. The chains represent our restrictions, both those placed upon us

and those we place upon ourselves.

Ultimately, the goal of any Sith is to free oneself from such restrictions. In a way, it is so we may do

whatever we wish... but it is much more than that.

One who has freed themselves from all restrictions has reached perfection. Their potential fulfilled.

Perfect strength. Perfect power. Perfect destiny. Imagine it.

That is our ideal at any rate. It is said in the Sith legends that the "Sith'ari," the prefect being will one day

lead us. But perhaps that is just a legend. I wonder what such a being would be like. The legends say the

"Sith'ari" will destroy us... and make us stronger than ever. Perfection is a

goal, I think, rather than a state of being. The Jedi would argue that, no doubt.

THE FORCE SHALL FREE ME.

The Force is our servant and our master, our teacher and our companion, a weapon and a tool.

Know it and you know the universe. Master it and you master the universe. Strive for perfection and

the Force shall reward you.

Something a friend once found for the guild for the Jedi Code. This sometimes helps explain the code in better detail.

Meaning of the Jedi Code

" There is no emotion, there is peace "

Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with.

" There is no ignorance, there is knowledge "

A Jedi must be circumspect and try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist is, of course, a flat-out lie or gross misunderstanding. Simply ignoring facts that do not fit with one's viewpoint is equally foolhardy. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. For more knowledge to light their way, the Jedi Temple Archives contain possibly the single largest source of information in the galaxy, but this tenet also reminds the Knight that knowledge can be taken from the most unusual places. This tenet points out that often a Jedi must use not only his rational mind but also his intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation.

" There is no passion, there is serenity "

This tenet is more than a repetition of the first. It refers more directly to situations of extreme stress in which a Jedi might be tempted to react strongly, or be so focused on the task and not the goal. That a Jedi must draw his weapon only in defense is an expression of this tenet, keeping all other options open. While emotions and intuition must be understood and utilized in a Jedi's daily life, they must be checked, lest the Jedi act rashly and lose objectivity. Passionate use of power leads to the dark side. A Jedi must always act with a calm hand and an even temper. "when in doubt, stay your hand", observing each situation as clearly as the Force sees it, not clouded with unbridled passion.

" There is no chaos, there is harmony "

This statement reflects the cosmology of the <Jedi Order>. Whereas uninitiated beings see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realizes that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent, in a never-ending cycle of balance. While an uninitiated being sees sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. Every event has a purpose. Minor inconveniences such as failure, disappointment, and disagreement are also inevitable and should be taken in stride. Jedi do not deny the fact that tragic and terrible things happen; they merely point out that tragedy is simply another part of life. This too leads to a balanced, objective, and realistic view of existence.

" There is no death, there is the Force "

A common argument is merely observing how a thing affects another thing, preventing those aware of their own finite existence from truly seeing the world as the Force sees it. A Jedi, like many ancient feudal knights of various empires, must always be ready for death, and not obsess nor be ruled by it. As a warrior not only in combat but also in day-to-day life, it is easy to fail and fall, then rise up without distraction or attachment holding the Jedi back. The sense of loss is often even greater for one who feels it with the Force, and it is difficult to maintain equilibrium. Death, however, is not a tragedy and is merely a part of the life cycle. Without death, life could not exist. The Force in us, still lives on after we die. This tenet represents the view of the Jedi Order that accepts, indeed embraces, death and life, rot and growth, corruption and purity, not as opposites but as dual pairs, each can't exist without the other, as nature intends. As such, Jedi do not fear death nor do they mourn it overmuch; a Jedi, after all, must celebrate death if he is to also celebrate life. While sources disagree on this point, it is noteworthy to point out that this tenet does not support vegetarianism among the Jedi but, some scholars argue, it does in fact support omnivorism among Jedi, whatever life form does to survive. In one notable encounter, a Jedi continued to deal with Colicoids after a companion was slain and consumed, maintaining that if the Colicoids did not act thus, they would not be following their own path, and if he allowed sentiment to cloud his dealings, he too, would not be on his path either. This tenet is often quoted upon a Jedi's death, sometimes referring to becoming one with the force, or even as living forever as a force ghost. This tenet also reminds the Jedi that death is a transitory state for any living being and is not truly an end to one's life, but merely the beginning of the next stage of one's journey. Through the Force, existence continues both as a constant state of connection to all living things as well as through the state of afterlife which follows death. Death, as perceived by the living, is an illusion and the Jedi must strive to remember this, as it removes what is often seen as the ultimate instinctual fear. When the Jedi have accepted the natural place of their own ending as well as the knowledge that whether they prevail or fall, the Force will remain with them, it becomes easier for a Jedi to put those fears aside and focus on the matters at hand.

Very nice and enlightening post. But it boils down to one thing(showing how wrong "There is no x, there is y" really is):

Emotions, yet peace

Ignorance, yet knowledge

Passion, yet serenity

Chaos, yet harmony

Death, yet the Force

Noto bene, I just noticed the order of those words:

Emotions -> Ignorance -> Passion -> Chaos -> Death

Peace -> Knowledge -> Serenity -> Harmony -> the Force

Interesting.

Also, thank you for the Sith Code analysis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sure it is.

Not in a violent sense, but using your emotions is a very good way in motivating yourself to do something good, or improve yourself both physically and mentally. negative emotions become harmful, when you let them control your life, instead of you controlling them.

Edited by cool-dude

I don't honestly understand the attitude that the Sith code would make sense in every day life but the Jedi wouldn't. Every time someone brings that up the only thing I see is how bias most people are towards the Sith. Now to be honest I too like the Sith code better but everyone seems to take the jedi literally and the sith not.

Why won't people look at the Sith code literally?

Ever since the first time I've read the Jedi code the way I interpreted it was for example:

There is no emotion, There is peace. (I've ALWAYS saw this as, control your emotions don't act on impulses/anger) If anything this one line is VERY much relevant in real life especially at a workplace where you might kind of want to kill your boss or tell him off but you don't because you control your emotions. I'm a very hot headed person and I don't follow it most of the time but I know I should because acting on impulses helps nobody and it only creates a negative effect on you and the people involved. Kind of like arguing with the GF if you will.

There is no Ignorance, There is knowledge. To me this just means always seek to further your knowledge, A wise man knows that he knows nothing type deal. Don't be ignorant keep an open mind etc..

There is no Chaos there is Harmony. Stay cool, stay focused, chaos and disorder is unproductive, and the stuff Darth_Krushya said.

There is no Death, there is the force. Kinda like what Valkorian said about us being more than our mortal shells, except on a different level not quiet over 9000 like him. Like when Yoda or Obi-Wan died, yes they died so you can't take it literally but their spirits lived on, became one with the force etc...

The jedi code could easily pass as a real life code as much as the Sith can.

Not only should the codes not be taken literally; they should be understood as recopies for personal growth, rather than for societal growth.

The Jedi code and the Sith code are reflections of Eastern philosophies (i.e. attaining enlightenment and inner peace) and Western philosophies (i.e. striving for and attaining individual freedoms) respectively. It is a known fact that George Lucas was greatly inspired by Buddhist, Taoist, and Japanese cultures when creating the Jedi. It only makes sense that the Sith should reflect the opposite core viewpoint.

Having this in mind, here is a very simple interpretation of the codes:

The Jedi Code (peace - serenity - harmony - Force):

It's not about controlling one's emotions - it never has been. It's about not letting emotions control oneself. According to Buddhists, emotions and passions are impermanent creations of the mind, which are often compared to clouds or waves. They are considered to be illusions, which stand in the way of enlightenment and true compassion. When clouds / waves are "let go", all you've got left is "a still sky" / "a still lake". By using this interpretation, peace is internal, and not external (e.g. the absence of war). Letting go of one's emotions, gaining inner peace, and, as a result, becoming unconditionally compassionate towards others is the purpose of Buddhist meditation. It could be claimed that it is the purpose for Jedi meditation as well. "The Force" could be interpreted as the eternal spirit (or the Tao in Taoism), which is not subject to mortality, unlike everything material.

The Sith Code (passion - strength - power - victory - broken chains):

This one is so obvious and so close to Western culture that I find it amusing so many players consider the Sith to be evil and difficult to relate to. It is basically written in every constitution that acknowledges human rights. It is also a rehash of "The American Dream". Here is how to decipher it:

• Following one's passions = following one's heart and dreams
  • Strength / Power / Victory = succeeding in life by achieving something of note and by becoming the best at what you do
  • Breaking one's chains = attaining psychological freedom from other people - yes, psychological, not physical (i.e. making life choices regardless of what Sith Masters (parents), Allies (friends), Consorts (spouses), or The Empire (society) have in store for you)

So, the Jedi code is about gaining inner peace and the Sith code is about gaining individual freedom. They are both viable in real life because they are based off of real life :). I've tried them both, and I am sure every person has tried at least some aspects of each "code" in their lives.

Edited by JannusFex