Why add 5 levels?

Zasszz

I played WoW for a (too) long time and with every expansion new level get added. We play through the story or pvp or just do dungeons/flashpoints, get appropriate gear of the current max level and do our stuff. But I dont get why we have to get new levels? What are the benefits?

One thing I can think of is that players will have to start gearing anew. But thats just a short term thing. In the long run the situation will be the same.

70 looks better than 65 tbfh. Just for that alone it's worth levelling up.

It looks or feels better isnt something beneficial there. Consider the problem with more expansions. The more you have, the more levels will be added and the longer it takes for new players to reach max level. New players who dont know the tricks to level fast, before people jump on leveling time.

Wow started with lvl60 and is now at lvl110. And I dont even want to go into the chaos of low level balance which doesnt exist there anymore because the new "talent" system, which swtor is going towards too, is messed up.

Purely from my perspective I took a year off and have only just started kotfe so for new a new level cap is great I no longer have to play catch up with gear since it'll all be outdated soon, this could be the reason creating a blank slate and giving all players something new to work towards on equal footing is good and in the long run I'm sure it's healthy for the player base too after all your far more likely to sub with more to do rather than less.

I played WoW for a (too) long time and with every expansion new level get added. We play through the story or pvp or just do dungeons/flashpoints, get appropriate gear of the current max level and do our stuff. But I dont get why we have to get new levels? What are the benefits?

One thing I can think of is that players will have to start gearing anew. But thats just a short term thing. In the long run the situation will be the same.

New skills & abilities?

It looks or feels better isnt something beneficial there. Consider the problem with more expansions. The more you have, the more levels will be added and the longer it takes for new players to reach max level. New players who dont know the tricks to level fast, before people jump on leveling time.

Wow started with lvl60 and is now at lvl110. And I dont even want to go into the chaos of low level balance which doesnt exist there anymore because the new "talent" system, which swtor is going towards too, is messed up.

Getting from level 1 to 65 hasn't exactly been harder than it was from 1 to 50.

Exp required usually always gets reduced, or quest exp given get boosted.

If you want to say, "But you need more levels" then yes you do. But it doesn't matter when the amount of levelling is drastically faster.

Edited by Eshvara

There really is no benefit in leveling up in SWTOR given how they down level so much.

Might as well have given new skill for classes in a mission and leave off leveling. It really brings nothing to SWTOR anymore other than a gating system to make sure others can't do galactic command.

your last sentence is exactly the reason. to force people to re-gear. and since gear is now locked behind subscription paywall? the real reason is to try and force more people to subscribe. and since they are also locking gear behind RNG wall? I'm guessing they are hoping to just increase levels... again, by the time people gear up again. I wish that of all the things they borrowed from GW2, they borrowed some of the better ones:/ like mob/resource tag sharing and instead of gear treadmill - actual content/challenges.

Basically, gearing up to a new higher level gives you something to do. The more you have to do, the more you play. The more you play (and sub) the longer the game makes enough money to stay in business.

It depends. As a subscriber you earn throughout the storyline up to revan/forged alliances roughly 1.000 datacrystals, depending how many you spend on gearing your char for leveling. Then I buy a full set of 208 gear and probably send some more crystals from other chars over if its not enough (legacybank trick). Now Im good for operations. So Im geared up which took a few minutes.

Now if I want to raid beyond my current ilvl, THEN I have more gearing up to do. If I dont raid with that char then Im done gearing.

Why not?

Because you don't like it? Not a good enough reason in my book.

Cant you do better than a strawman?

Basically, gearing up to a new higher level gives you something to do. The more you have to do, the more you play. The more you play (and sub) the longer the game makes enough money to stay in business.

It's the illusion of something to do. Since there hasn't been any new repeatable content as incentive and Austin's "let's do it again!" schtick is getting really tired I suspect many people are going to go "why bother?"

Level 70 is really nothing. Trying leveling to level 90.

*shudders* Every time the stray thought of going back to WoW crosses my mind I just think about its 110 levels and go "LOL, Nope."

To me levels in an MMO are anathema. They're just busy work between me and end-game. Since I've had characters invalidated in the past thanks to class monkeys (my poor pre-3.0 Combat Sents, and pre 6.0 Dest. Warlock) I've vowed to have a stable of end-game capable classes in any future game.

Deep levelling is an instant turn off.

Because bigger numbers mean moar power!

Why on earth wouldn't they add new levels?

Honestly? Because it's what is expected. And because SWTOR is clearly still wanting to compete with games like WoW in some capacity, so keeping to certain aspects of design that they've kept to means appealing to their playerbase.

All of this - which are all the same answer from different points of view.

"Because that's what one does."

So why 5 levels? Why not 10 or 20? You're the Outlander now, not merely the Wrath or the (presumably) best bounty hunter in the galaxy!

So why 5 levels? Why not 10 or 20? You're the Outlander now, not merely the Wrath or the (presumably) best bounty hunter in the galaxy!

Because it's the smallest they thought they could get away with, and probably makes some math easier. Levels are basically an illusion.

Because else it does not feel like progression...that is the point.

Pretty much the same answer as for the "why even bother to gear up" question.

Games are all about progression, it is what we like because it gives a false sense of accomplishment. Which is fine to me. I want those 5 levels, I want to be level 70. Though to be fair, they can try harder to make it look like progression than they did in KotFE. I want more than just the number to change.

Edited by Gokkus

That's not a bad question. Realistically, it's not like you're doing anything to earn them; the leveling content is so easy we just go through the motions and five levels land in your laps after a couple hours. At this point we aren't learning our classes either, or even gaining much in the way of new powers. Boosting the cap lets Bioware hide the end game behind a higher level requirement, so that we have to play the story first, but they could just make finishing the story a requirement to get into Hard modes and Ops anyway.

I guess there's really no reason to not add more levels, since they're something will get regardless, but it does kinda seem like they only exist to make the numbers go up, even though the numbers are meaningless.