User configurable spam filter

Skauron

For too long now, or at least as long as i can remember, we have been plagued in General, Mail and whispers from credit selling organizations who seem to never get banned in the way we would hope as subscribing players. It would be nice if we saw some evidence of the spammers being dealt with, but when was the last time you ever had a response to a report spam?

What i am asking for I feel is very simple.

If BW can not effectively control the spam at their end and allow them to constantly recreate, then please allow US the players to control things client side in order to limit or completely stop the spam from being seen by us. This could easily be achieved with a spam filter that looks for certain words within any chat about to be displayed or in mail we receive and suppress the action from occuring so that credit spammers who constantly use the same spam although perhaps on yet another level 60 bought character could then be blocked by anyone who chooses to do so.

So yeah, a spam filter please, and give some power back to the players. Heck make it a subscriber perk too if you want.

As someone who has been deal with spam for well over 2 decades both for myself as well as for clients, I have to cast a negative for this.

It's too easy for folks to mess things up by throwing an incorrect term into the filter and then have them wonder why they can;t see anything in their chat.

We'd have to teach folks how to use the filter as well. As someone who already get to to that with soccer moms, that's a lot of fun.

As someone who has to put up with spam for credit selling companies each and every day, then i would like to have the choice at my disposal whether i want to see this spam when a feature could easily be added to allow me to filter it out of chat altogether. This includes mailbox, whispers and the like.

When spam bots have got so organised now that they are now casting out level 60's (purchased) to spam in fleet, it is pretty obvious that they are actually being allowed to remain.. as i see no evidence to the contrary. We see no reassurance that our reports of spam are dealt with either.

If folk truly did add a wrong word to their spam filter, then so long as BW make it easy enough to correct the list by offering an easy remove filter option then i see no reason why this should hinder anyone. Soccer moms or not, i would run with what the majority would make special use of, not what the minority manage to mess up simply through not following a very short guide or tooltip. You could even add an enforced warning when adding a filter to remind them that 'the following word when presented in chat/whisper/mail will now deny that entire message being displayed' should suffice for most.. and if that does not.. then they simply should not tinker with what they will never understand.

As someone who has been deal with spam for well over 2 decades both for myself as well as for clients, I have to cast a negative for this.

It's too easy for folks to mess things up by throwing an incorrect term into the filter and then have them wonder why they can;t see anything in their chat.

We'd have to teach folks how to use the filter as well. As someone who already get to to that with soccer moms, that's a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, yes, please!

Alternatively:

99% of the spam that I get is for the exact same web site, and has been for as long as I can remember - let's call them "rpgdog.con". So I would be quite happy with a filter that tosses any mail which:

1. Is not from a friend, and
  2. Where the subject or contents matches the regular expression /\br\W*p\W*g\W*d\W*o\W*g\W*c\W*o\W*n\b/i (based on the bogus web site from above).

Of course, the regular expression can be improved - this one will simply match the site name with any number of non-"word characters" thrown in between the letters. And the site name should be an easily updated list.