Koth *Spoilers*

JTSpalding

I HATE Koth.

I don't care about Arcane or his sister or Scorpio or whoever.

Just let me KILL KOTH.

The last chapter was such a let down. I accomplished ***NONE*** of my objectives.

Arcane's still alive.

His sister is still around.

Scorpio is still powerful.

And Koth just stole the only ship capable of stopping the Eternal fleet.

Scorpio and Vaylen haven't kill us yet because (insert lame plot device here).

It has to get better only cause it can't get worse.

I HATE Koth.

I don't care about Arcane or his sister or Scorpio or whoever.

Just let me KILL KOTH.

The last chapter was such a let down. I accomplished ***NONE*** of my objectives.

Arcane's still alive.

His sister is still around.

Scorpio is still powerful.

And Koth just stole the only ship capable of stopping the Eternal fleet.

Scorpio and Vaylen haven't kill us yet because (insert lame plot device here).

It has to get better only cause it can't get worse.

But you made Koth mad. You were probably killing his people, so therefore he got the last laugh on you. Remember, it's Arcann, Vaylin, the Knights, and droids that are your aggressors. The rest of Zakuul are just sheeple.

It makes sense for him to abandon you.

It's true that all of those story points are left unresolved. Bioware's argument is that KOTET is coming to continue the story. What they're forgetting is that storylines become stale and lose their interest factor without certain incentives to make people want to read more. One of those incentives is: major supporting characters DIE at some point well before the story climax. It makes you want to see how the other characters use those deaths as galvanizing points to grow and become stronger.

Several players have pointed out very valid arguments on how the player character is all but a tragically incompetent leader, but led by the nose, unavoidably, into traps that we can see coming and have time to avoid. If we were reading this from a third-person perspective, it wouldn't be quite so terrible, even though we'd still feel the main character was a "scrub." But it hurts more that it's US. We know what happens based on a certain choice we make in Chapter 10, but the effects of that choice do NOT have any major effect on the remaining chapters of KOTFE. It's a rather minor effect. Only now do we find out it comes back to bite us at the end of Chapter 16, but we still have no idea whether that is going to be a major or minor effect on the KOTET storyline.

I like the ongoing story ENOUGH to stay subscribed, but I also find enough dissatisfaction to speak out about. I won't hesitate to point out what I think are plot holes and just bad story hooks.

And for what it matters, I hate Koth too. Enough that I wish I'd antagonized him a lot more, on more of my characters in the hopes they'll get to off him one day.

In my opinion, Koth is one of the best written character in KotFE. Let's not forget he is a Zakuulan patriot. He hates Arcann, but still admires Valkorion. And rightly so, might I add. In his point of view, Valkorion was a good ruler. When we look at Zakuul and compare it to the Sith Empire he ruled as Vitiate, it is a great place to live and a brilliant civilzation. What was happening in the greater galaxy was not a concern to Zakuulans. The fact that Valkorion was indeed that monster called Emperor Vitiate is rather new and hard to swallow for most people. If Valkorion had not been assassinated, Koth would be an enemy instead of an ally. It is no surprise that he gets angry and that he leaves you if your deeds hurt and killed his people. Even more so when you consider that most of Zakuul's army is composed of droids. They are not used to see ordinary people die in wars. Let's not forget also that shooting at civilians was precisely the reason why he left the EE's army. Since Koth does not believe you are the right guy to save his people against Arcann anymore, it is no surprise either that he steals the Gravestone. That ships belongs to Zakuul's history, and it's the best weapon to fight the Eternal Fleet. He may believe that he can get a better crew to free his people himself.

Koth rebelled against Arcann when he was ordered to kill a bunch of innocents, but he's perfectly willing to accept that the Emperor committed genocide, PERSONALLY, on a scale only galactic civilizations can achieve. I think, at some point, the Commander should have just taken him and Senya to Ziost.

It would have made a very good excuse for some of the more ruthless actions the Commander takes.

-Koth and Senya watch, still stunned into silence, as the Commander reaches down and takes a handful of ash. The Commander looks them in the eyes as the ashes fall through loose fingers.

"Are you going to stand here, in the ashes of a billion dead souls, and tell me that honour matters?"

The Zakuulans stay silent, barely able to process the atrocity they can still feel the effects of.

The Commander nods, as if they've proven a point.-

Koth rebelled against Arcann when he was ordered to kill a bunch of innocents, but he's perfectly willing to accept that the Emperor committed genocide, PERSONALLY, on a scale only galactic civilizations can achieve. I think, at some point, the Commander should have just taken him and Senya to Ziost.

It would have made a very good excuse for some of the more ruthless actions the Commander takes.

-Koth and Senya watch, still stunned into silence, as the Commander reaches down and takes a handful of ash. The Commander looks them in the eyes as the ashes fall through loose fingers.

"Are you going to stand here, in the ashes of a billion dead souls, and tell me that honour matters?"

The Zakuulans stay silent, barely able to process the atrocity they can still feel the effects of.

Reminds me of Javik about his war with the reapers.

I'm pretty sure Koth and Senya don't really believe Valkorian and is the one that destroyed Ziost. They never met Vitiate. When Koth said "He was always good to Zakuul," the implication was "He was good to us, so it doesn't make sense he would do that to you" not "He was good to us, so it doesn't matter what he did to you."

It's the same with Senya. She knows what Lana and the Outlander claim he did, but that's the opposite of her experience. Really out only evidence that they are the same person is Valkorian's testimony that only we hear, and the fact that we feel Vitiate's presence when we are near Valkorian. Zakuulans don't have the same experience of connecting the two. Heck, even for the Republic and Empire characters, it doesn't really add up that they can be the same person. We just haven't had the discrepancies answered yet.

Perhaps if we did take Senya to Ziost or Yavin, she would also feel the echo of presence in the Force the same way we did, but we couldn't know that for sure.

Edited by OldVengeance

It's not so much that Koth doesn't believe we can defeat Arcann, leaves then comes back to steal the Gravestone, cause frankly I don't care about his opinion, it's that as players we can't do anything about it. KOTFE pulls the same trick too many times.

I would have been happy with the option to assign a group to track Koth down and kill him either when he first leaves or at the end of chapter 16 and that we could tell Senya no and send someone else to deal with Vaylen. Neither would change the outcome Senya could still save Arcann (but the pc knows nothing about it) and Koth has already taken the ship, it's giving the player a choice to be pro active against a problem they're genre savvy enough to see coming.

Scorpio taking over the Eternal Fleet and Vaylen joining her are big enough plot twist that we didn't need to be so on the rails for everything else. I'm surprised that a Bioware company doesn't seem to know how important the illusion of choice is for a game.

Edited by kellerkat

I get what you are saying but I doubt that'd make the blindest bit of difference to Koth. All he would say is "So because our Emperor allegedly killed your people you think that makes it ok to kill my people back?"

But you made Koth mad. You were probably killing his people, so therefore he got the last laugh on you. Remember, it's Arcann, Vaylin, the Knights, and droids that are your aggressors. The rest of Zakuul are just sheeple.

It makes sense for him to abandon you.

I actually really like Koth, but my dark side warrior would like to execute him for his treason. It makes sense that he would leave, but it also makes sense for some characters to see him as a traitor and security risk and want him silenced.

was talking about the chapters tonight with a friend , and was thinking for those (like me) who were an D-bag to koth . He come back and steal the ugliest ship ever.....

I think it would've been nice if you could yell an order say to Theron to try and stop him and he shoot him and then say something like ''That was on you! You don't care for your peoples , and that's why I'm taking the gravestone'' .

And how did he even get on the ship when it was in ORBIT!!!