Dirty Fighting

sanholoo

Hello all, I've not taken part of any beta's so I'm going to fresh to the game. I have a few questions about Slinger - Dirty Fighting.

Has anyone played it in the Betas? It seems very underplayed and talked about but looks extremely interesting. I've read some people say it's more DoT oriented but it looks like between Sharpshooter and Dirty Fighting you can still do some decent burst damage in DF.

Any suggestions of end-game spec for it, how it is in PvP / PvE and any other facts about the spec and class would appreciated!

Thanks all!

Early on (on its own) it's not great---but the abilities at the top of the tree significantly enhance the dirty fighter. It's less icing on the cake and more "you must take this or be useless."

The prevailing plan is for people to train up another spec until they reach a high level, THEN respec to dirty fighter.

What precisely IS the difference between the various playstyles of the Gunslinger? Since it's a pure DPS class, it's hard to tell what's what.

Sharpshooter is focused on single-target DPS. Cover is very important here, because a lot of your abilities are unavailable without out.

The other two are more...mobile.

Saboteur is more about AoE effects.

Dirty Fighting relies on armor-penetrating damage over time.

While being a little more mobile for sure Saboteur is still pretty reliant on cover. The Contingency Charges from Sabotauge Charge lead to a ton of damage and the stacking burn effects from Speed Shot add up a ton of damage as well. Both of these being usable only in cover. It is still a little more mobile than Sharpshooter sure but still requires a lot of use of cover.

Sadly Dirty FIghting is the one spec I never tried out the 4 times I played a Gunslinger to 50 as I enjoyed Sharpshooter far to much and barely managed to pull myself away from it to test Saboteur so I can't comment much on DF :\

Edited by Solantharius

I'd be interested in hearing more about this build, too. I have plans for a Dirty Fighting Gunslinger, but I heard it's a good idea to respec into Dirty Fighting once you get Wounding Shots.

I found that until wounding shots its not that effective as a build in sub 30 pvp and pve. I had a much better time leveling with sharpshooter or sabo, especially sabo since the reduced AoE CD, and increased AoE damage was really handy early on.

I think most of the problems center around the fact that a lot of Dirty Fightings damage comes from its internal dots, and the big 15% and 30% damage modifiers are not attainable until the end of the tree your damage suffers compared with the others. Internal damage is going to be really nice when armor values shoot up end game but in the lower levels when every one has paper defense stats, the normal kinetic, elemental, and energy abilities just do more.

A good example is a level 10-15 BH or Trooper seems to have about 20~ mitigation from armor in greens, while a level 36 in blues and purples is closer to 40~, which I am guessing might edge closer to 50~ in solid purples later on. So cutting out 50% mitigation might end up being huge, we'll have to wait and see though. This is all theory crafting and a little bit of trial and error from the last 2 beta weekends.

Dirty Fighting is a very effective Smuggler expertise tree to pursue, It has been my expertise choice for the last six months in Beta and I'm continuing with it at the moment in Early access, While it does tilt slightly towards PvP, that's not to say it can't be very effective in PvE scenarios too.

If you want to give it a try and fancy a slightly more mobile Gunslinger then I would strongly suggest sticking with Sharpshooter up to the point you can afford Wounding shots, then swap over, you'll find it all the more effective at this point.

I've mentioned it quite a few times in the Smuggler forums (before the recent wipe) but one of the greatest benefits of going with Bleeds is that you'll be putting out Internal damage as opposed to Kinetic/Energy damage - while other types of damage will be mitigated by armour, internal damage will ignore armour and has a low chance to be defended against.

Dirty Fighting does take a while to pick up pace as far as the abilities go, however once you get closer and closer to Level 50 it's almost impossible to not fall in love with the Spec. :)

I'm going gunslinger purely on the basis that there is actually a dirty fighting spec to go into. The short range of the scoundrel makes the tree a little iffy.

If you don't want to heal, scoundrel gets a grand total of one spec. Either you like the stealth or not, and that's a bit of a gamble.

Gunsling dirty fighting is viable, as is sharpshooter, saboteur, and various hybrids.

Edited by StealthNerf

Looking at the tree, it's definitely a lot more PvP focused than the others. There's no way to get to the top without sacrificing a few points to movement talents.

Still, I'm kind of torn between Dirty Fighting and Saboteur. Both look fun, but neither really feels like they have a complete rotation.

I've been focusing on this route as well, though my plan is to go into Saboteur far enough to get Contingency Charges and Shock/Sapping Charge, with the bonus to aoe effects. With this route I can get as high as upgraded Wounding Shots but not the higher bleed multipliers unfortunately.

I'm hoping it will be viable, but still too early to tell.

• 2 months later...
I've been focusing on this route as well, though my plan is to go into Saboteur far enough to get Contingency Charges and Shock/Sapping Charge, with the bonus to aoe effects. With this route I can get as high as upgraded Wounding Shots but not the higher bleed multipliers unfortunately.

I'm hoping it will be viable, but still too early to tell.

I am currently specced more or less this way. My rotation consists of 3 different bleed effects, followed by Wounding shots. Its effective- I would say I do even more damage this way.... HOwever, its pretty energy costly as a gunslinger with out having complete crit gear for energy regen. But in pvp, i haven't dropped below 300 k damage since speccing this way. Even in poor matches. Whether or not this is the best smuggler spec I have yet to see... and whether or not it can compete with the Guardian's AOe-focus spec... yeah, it can't. but its solid none-the-less.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.