Is anything being done about servers?

Ccgv

Came back to the game a few days ago, and my main server jung ma is COMPLETELY dead. The only people on the pub fleet are bots, and i havent seen anyone on a planet while leveling. It sucks that because BW messed up, I have to pay a lot of $ to transfer because I literally cant do any content on my server. Is anything being done?

What do you consider 'completely' dead? Were you the only one on the entire server? If not, it isn't dead.

if BW actually saw the issue and would address it they should merge servers ASAP

1) They do see the issue, just not the way you see it.

2) Foolish really to merge anything ahead of an upcoming expac. Last year they had to actually increase some servers capacities to handle the surge of returning/new players.

In the mean time.... for anyone who missed the 90cc transfers for almost a year.... they can do what many have done for years prior to the 90cc transfers ... load up one character with items and credits and transfer it as a baseline for playing on another server.... albeit at a 45% discount from the old transfer fee (1800cc) prior to them setting it to the current 1000cc. It's also more efficient than ever with 4.0 since leveling is fast and easy.

Of course the other option is to just throw a fit and constantly spam the forum floor with jello at every possible opportunity... as is popular with some players.

Edited by Andryah

only thing that is being done is you paying 1000cc per character for a transfer.

but

if BW actually saw the issue and would address it they should merge servers ASAP

Merging servers isn't that good of an idea, see how many problems it has caused for other games when they merged servers with characters being deleted and all, legacies wiped so many possible things could go wrong. And with the 50 slot max lets say the 2 servers that might merge you have 50 max on both servers, that means either they have to double the cap (which can be taxing on the actual hardware used to run the servers) and many other issues.

The better solution would be to introduce a legacy transfer from one server to another, say 6000cc to transfer all characters from one server to another. That would solve the higher price because if you have 7+ characters on a dead server you are getting more for your buck right there. So that in turn is the more feasible solution and more cost efficient.

Merging servers isn't that good of an idea, see how many problems it has caused for other games when they merged servers with characters being deleted and all, legacies wiped so many possible things could go wrong. And with the 50 slot max lets say the 2 servers that might merge you have 50 max on both servers, that means either they have to double the cap (which can be taxing on the actual hardware used to run the servers) and many other issues.

The better solution would be to introduce a legacy transfer from one server to another, say 6000cc to transfer all characters from one server to another. That would solve the higher price because if you have 7+ characters on a dead server you are getting more for your buck right there. So that in turn is the more feasible solution and more cost efficient.

Just to play "Vader's advocate" for a moment ...

How are (potentially) massive transfers of all characters by Legacy really any different from merging server populations? Either way, we are trusting EA/BW to transfer our characters. Either way seems to involve the same risks of mishap. Either way, if you have 50 characters each on both the original and destination servers, you've got a problem. As far as moving characters from one server to another, I see no difference between a paid transfer and a server merger (other than to my virtual wallet).

I'm a survivor of LOTRO's great 2015 Server Merger, in which LOTRO culled its servers from around 40 to 10. Not that there weren't some issues, but, overall, the process went pretty smooth. Granted, LOTRO has a completely different housing system that was pretty simple to transfer (they just remitted the cost of your house and all upgrades so you could buy a new house on your server). I (still) fervently believe that SWTOR's Strongholds and Guild Ships are the primary impediments to them merging servers. Until they figure out to transfer those elements, they're not going to merge servers.

How are (potentially) massive transfers of all characters by Legacy really any different from merging server populations? Either way, we are trusting EA/BW to transfer our characters. Either way seems to involve the same risks of mishap. Either way, if you have 50 characters each on both the original and destination servers, you've got a problem. As far as moving characters from one server to another, I see no difference between a paid transfer and a server merger (other than to my virtual wallet).

I'm a survivor of LOTRO's great 2015 Server Merger, in which LOTRO culled its servers from around 40 to 10. Not that there weren't some issues, but, overall, the process went pretty smooth. Granted, LOTRO has a completely different housing system that was pretty simple to transfer (they just remitted the cost of your house and all upgrades so you could buy a new house on your server). I (still) fervently believe that SWTOR's Strongholds and Guild Ships are the primary impediments to them merging servers. Until they figure out to transfer those elements, they're not going to merge servers.

Yes true, but with that being said, servers are housed differently, and put it this way.

A select few people are transferring massive amounts of characters to another server, compared to a mass server merge which is moving every single character made.

Which instance is likely to have something go VERY wrong, just by numbers of sheer force, the later of what i said. It is less taxing on the servers for few to mass transfer then a huge merger, less server lag, less likely things get deleted or data gets corrupted, (Not to mention Conquest would be a pain where all the huge guilds will be on each planet, so either join them or don't get conquest done, so unless you increase guild size to 2000 members RIP conquest and alts in those guilds). And don't get me started on what else could break.

I'm just saying statistically speaking, it is for the best to have legacy transfers over a mass merger because things are less likely to go wrong and if they do go wrong its only a small population you need to do fixes with compared to the entire game.

2 ways they are different as far as I see

1. One is voluntary, one isn't. Those who don't want to move don't have to.

2. Scale. If you transfer your legacy, you implicitly accept the risk of something going wrong. This also means if something does go wrong, CS isn't going to be hopelessly bogged down with everything happening at once so they might actually be able to help. Even if everyone on a server decides to move, they'll all probably stagger it over some time, making it far more manageable.

Edited by MadDutchman

ABSOLUTELY NOT. sorry but this is yet another cash grab by BW scheme. They have a very real issue and that is server population health. it is more than just surface deep but an issue with how they have little to no design worth keeping people long term. it has to do with unfinished bugged and often left quickly content.

There is no reason why they should not merge servers. they have down it several times now and have the means. the just need to do it and stop wasting time and resources on stupid money grab schemes like the newest cartel pack experience change. I DO NOT CARE about cartel packs but do care about sw content worth playing for the story.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. sorry but this is yet another cash grab by BW scheme. They have a very real issue and that is server population health. it is more than just surface deep but an issue with how they have little to no design worth keeping people long term. it has to do with unfinished bugged and often left quickly content.

There is no reason why they should not merge servers. they have down it several times now and have the means. the just need to do it and stop wasting time and resources on stupid money grab schemes like the newest cartel pack experience change. I DO NOT CARE about cartel packs but do care about sw content worth playing for the story.

Given the reasons why i said before hand;

It is more likely for many things to go wrong for many people in a server merge then to a legacy transfer where it won't swamp CS if the problem is for every single player in the game rather then a select few players and more likely to be easily solved.

Plus it depends on how many characters you want to send over, if you just want 2 characters then 2000cc (or 1000+ free transfer with referal) is a good thing. {remember they gave us plenty of sales at 90cc to transfer servers so if you didn't do it in time tough luck for you} Or my hypothetically crafted 6000cc for an entire legacy transfer if you wanted to move 7+ characters to a server. I mean i would move all 16 characters i had on jung ma (now dead) to a more populated server (other then the Ebon Hawk which my now mains are and i already sent what i wanted their) for 6000cc makes sense.

They gave us ample warning that the cheap server transfers would end, because many people would do something like use an exploit 1 credit chair resale for 100 credits etc, make credits then transfer the character etc. Then you have inflation which never really was settled down. Also pvp exploit with operatives in 4 vs 4 which would make you move through walls slaughter the opposing team before the round started and move out when health was low, transfer to another server and evade potential bans.

So just saying, server merge very unlikely with a high chance of something going horribly wrong.

2 ways they are different as far as I see

1. One is voluntary, one isn't. Those who don't want to move don't have to.

2. Scale. If you transfer your legacy, you implicitly accept the risk of something going wrong. This also means if something does go wrong, CS isn't going to be hopelessly bogged down with everything happening at once so they might actually be able to help. Even if everyone on a server decides to move, they'll all probably stagger it over some time, making it far more manageable.

Well, sure. My point was directed towards the other guy's supposition that migrating server populations via voluntary transfers is somehow less likely to result in mishap than forced server mergers. In either scenario, the end game (for purposes of discussion) is that the entire population of Dead Server moves to other servers. Certainly, the voluntary nature of transfers is a factor to consider if/when EA/BW starts considering server mergers.

Also, I cited the LOTRO server consolidation. All character transfers were "voluntary" ... in that every player was responsible for moving his/her own characters off the closing servers onto the surviving servers. You could, of course, leave your guys on the doomed server, but that server was ... well ... doomed (first thing they did was disable new character creation on the servers they were closing). I had cadres of alts on all US LOTRO servers (and a couple of European servers) ... it took me days to complete all those transfers.

One way LOTRO eased the load was phasing transfers to the surviving worlds. They rotated through the surviving worlds every few weeks, opening them to receive transfers. I should also mention that all the transfers were free. And, as I mentioned, there were problems and (MMO forums being MMO forums) complaints. But everything seems to have been worked out. So, overloading CS is not a big concern for me.

My only point is that IF EA/BW decides to close servers, they should take a look at how LOTRO did it. It may not have been perfect ... and it took several months to complete from start to finish ... but they got it done and everyone settled into their new homes.

Edited by Thoronmir

No....Although theres rumores new expansion will bring mergers.BC Republic Server pvp is almost dead 1/2 poulation of imp faction. If you like pvp on BC go impside ,Republic just gets farmed ,queues with 2/5 toons less..ITS BS.But hey new Hyperpacks drop on time.lol.FACEPALM

My only point is that IF EA/BW decides to close servers, they should take a look at how LOTRO did it. It may not have been perfect ... and it took several months to complete from start to finish ... but they got it done and everyone settled into their new homes.

LoTROs model is actually a copy from Rift. Though in Rifts case, they also allowed characters to move around on to any open server on a weekly cooldown, also at no charge... which introduced it's own particular issues as players figured out how to game intended game play via server hopping.

At some point, I do believe the studio will give up on the old PvP servers, declare them end of life, freeze character creations, and give players X days to transfer off or be forcibly moved. And we know they can set the cost to transfer to 0cc as they already leaked a transfer page with 0cc costs to transfer a while back. The timing and method of course is completely up to the studio, not players... so all this constant teeth gnashing by some about the server populations is mindless and silly IMO.

Edited by Andryah