New Chiss Customization Possible?

xPhoQuE

In the last few days, the Chiss community has been buzzing. This is because the greatest Chiss villian, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is now canon due to his debut in the Rebel's Season 3 trailer. Love or hate the mastermind's new appearance, I was wondering if we could get a new customization that looked like the new canon for the Chiss or atleast one of many alternatives. Although his appearance with the eye change was created to allow for the viewers to see who he is looking at, I think the new design would be very popular as a CM account unlock.

In the last few days, the Chiss community has been buzzing. This is because the greatest Chiss villian, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is now canon due to his debut in the Rebel's Season 3 trailer. Love or hate the mastermind's new appearance, I was wondering if we could get a new customization that looked like the new canon for the Chiss or atleast one of many alternatives. Although his appearance with the eye change was created to allow for the viewers to see who he is looking at, I think the new design would be very popular as a CM account unlock.

Sigh....

Please no. I can't fault you for asking, but my opinion, we don't need any more of Mickey's crap in this game. Emo Ren's lightsaber was more than enough.

Oh, and was that the reason they messed up his eyes? There are not enough headdesks in all the galaxy...

I mean good lord, all these years and I never realized I couldn't tell who Spiderman, Wolverine, Cyclops, and pretty much every superhero who ever wore a mask was looking at when in costume. Or for that matter, Darth Vader, Boba and Jango Fett, every clone trooper and stormtrooper, C-3PO... man. How could I ever enjoy a movie or TV show again if I can't pause, hold up a protractor to a character's eyes and determine the exact angle they're focusing on??

Seriously, while I'm at it, better reroll my BH in this game too. He's a Chiss who wears a helmet! That's like, double the confusion! Confusion squared!

Edited by CrutchCricket

mean good lord, all these years and I never realized I couldn't tell who Spiderman, Wolverine, Cyclops, and pretty much every superhero who ever wore a mask was looking at when in costume. Or for that matter, Darth Vader, Boba and Jango Fett, every clone trooper and stormtrooper, C-3PO... man. How could I ever enjoy a movie or TV show again if I can't pause, hold up a protractor to a character's eyes and determine the exact angle they're focusing on??

You realize that in the comics and cartoons that the characters eyes actually change size, squint, and do things that are impossible for an actual costume to do because it is necessary for emotion right? You can't do this with 3D animation the way you do it in 2D so that is why you need an actual eye. Also Vader, Boba and most characters with full masks either are stoic ******es who don't show emotion anyway or have amazing voice acting along with it. The change isn't necessary but it wouldn't hurt anything either. I wonder how much Lucasfilm influences the game at all. We know for stuff like Togruta that Bioware had to follow the canon portrayal established in the clone wars series, but I wonder if they would even be forced to add or retcon the way Chiss look. T

SWTOR is the only star wars story to cross over after the Disney purchase so they are in a unique and challenging position of having to respect previous legends material they pulled from while also incorporating new canon stuff as it is introduced. They know that Kylo Ren's saber is from the old republic so they added that I would love to see more stuff like that in the future.

Edited by Kaze-Yama

Sigh....

Please no. I can't fault you for asking, but my opinion, we don't need any more of Mickey's crap in this game. Emo Ren's lightsaber was more than enough.

Oh, and was that the reason they messed up his eyes? There are not enough headdesks in all the galaxy...

I mean good lord, all these years and I never realized I couldn't tell who Spiderman, Wolverine, Cyclops, and pretty much every superhero who ever wore a mask was looking at when in costume. Or for that matter, Darth Vader, Boba and Jango Fett, every clone trooper and stormtrooper, C-3PO... man. How could I ever enjoy a movie or TV show again if I can't pause, hold up a protractor to a character's eyes and determine the exact angle they're focusing on??

Seriously, while I'm at it, better reroll my BH in this game too. He's a Chiss who wears a helmet! That's like, double the confusion! Confusion squared!

That was the primary reason for the eye change according to Filoni (If I am recalling celebration correctly). But my only wish is to merge as much of the EU with the New Canon as possible. If merging a new eye type for Chiss means more people will be willing to transverse the line which they consider the "real" canon then so be it.

And by that I mean, by showing artists, creators, and directors like Filoni and his team that we are willing to integrate parts of the new with the old, they might do the same in the future for characters from Revan to Grandmaster EU Luke.

Edited by xPhoQuE

That was the primary reason for the eye change according to Filoni (If I am recalling celebration correctly). But my only wish is to merge as much of the EU with the New Canon as possible. If merging a new eye type for Chiss means more people will be willing to transverse the line which they consider the "real" canon them so be it.

And by that I mean, by showing artists, creators, and directors like Filoni and his team that we are willing to integrate parts of the new with the old, they might do the same in the future for characters from Revan to Grandmaster EU Luke.

I don't see how you still believe that's possible given their apparent policy of simultaneously ripping off the EU while deliberately and methodically giving fans of it the finger. Look no further than Luke for the proof. Grand Master? Happily married? Son, strong in the Force?

Nope, he ragequit after one failure and lives as a hermit on a rock on planet Spinning Panorama.

Jacen Solo? Son of Han, strong in the Force, succumbs to the dark side to "save" teh galaxy? Nope, Ben Solo, emo brat who should've had more time outs as a child. (Seriously it makes no gosh darn sense, neither Han nor Leia had any particular connection to Obi-wan. Hell Han just thought he was a crazy old kook).

Jaina Solo? Sword of the Jedi, paragon of truth, justice and females kicking ***? Nope, Rey. Pretty much the same thing, but she's not Jaina because **** you, that's why!

Edited by CrutchCricket

Originally, Thrawn was half-human - hence the more normal eyes. Perhaps they reverted back to that explanation. I'm not honestly sure if the books ever explicitly said his eyes were solidly one color, because at several times Pellaeon (the point-of-view character for most interactions with Thrawn) noted that he could see Thrawn's eyes shift, or he could see where Thrawn was looking.

I'm holding out hope that chiss still look the way they always have (solidly red eyes, so you can't tell where they're looking), and Thrawn's just the exception.

Originally, Thrawn was half-human - hence the more normal eyes. Perhaps they reverted back to that explanation.

Do you have a source for that? As far as I know, Thrawn was always an alien, and the Chiss were revealed in the Hand of Thrawn duology. I haven't seen anything that hinted that an alternate origin was considered.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Do you have a source for that? As far as I know, Thrawn was always an alien, and the Chiss were revealed in the Hand of Thrawn duology. I haven't seen anything that hinted that an alternate origin was considered.

He's referring to some of the insults Imperials threw at Thrawn in the original Heirs of the Empire trilogy. Many characters referred to him as "half-breed." It wasn't explicitly stated that he was half-human, and it was more or less attributed to Imperial Racism, but it was there.

Now, the question boils down to "did all Imperials refer to non-human bipedal near-humans as 'half-breeds'" or "was he truly a half-breed between two species?"

He's referring to some of the insults Imperials threw at Thrawn in the original Heirs of the Empire trilogy. Many characters referred to him as "half-breed." It wasn't explicitly stated that he was half-human, and it was more or less attributed to Imperial Racism, but it was there.

Now, the question boils down to "did all Imperials refer to non-human bipedal near-humans as 'half-breeds'" or "was he truly a half-breed between two species?"

Thank you; you saved me and my suddenly-failing computer (darn you, you crazy machine! Why are you suddenly so slow!?) from diving into the tempting world of wookiepedia and flipping frantically through most of the Thrawn trilogy. :p

...so yeah. That's where I got it from, and...you bring up a good point. e_e The answer to which is: I have no idea.

I don't see how you still believe that's possible given their apparent policy of simultaneously ripping off the EU while deliberately and methodically giving fans of it the finger. Look no further than Luke for the proof. Grand Master? Happily married? Son, strong in the Force?

Nope, he ragequit after one failure and lives as a hermit on a rock on planet Spinning Panorama.

Jacen Solo? Son of Han, strong in the Force, succumbs to the dark side to "save" teh galaxy? Nope, Ben Solo, emo brat who should've had more time outs as a child. (Seriously it makes no gosh darn sense, neither Han nor Leia had any particular connection to Obi-wan. Hell Han just thought he was a crazy old kook).

Jaina Solo? Sword of the Jedi, paragon of truth, justice and females kicking ***? Nope, Rey. Pretty much the same thing, but she's not Jaina because **** you, that's why!

So because they failed to follow a defined blueprint of your expectation designed by someone else, you decide to cry about it on forums?

At the end of the day we don't know what commandment over the force Luke will share with his EU counterpart, the type of villian Kylo will be after training with Snoke, or the amount of talent and overall personification of the Light that Rey will be. So for the sake of the real Star Wars fans, keep the complaining to a minimal until the lore completes itself. Or continue to be miserable while swimming in the bliss of your nostalgia.

At the end of the day, since the original creator of Thrawn supports the new appearance and personality of the new (once again stated as Celebration 16), we should atleast attempt the same.

I was simply wondering about a new customization options and not about the psychological evaluations around the EU and its creators.

Edited by xPhoQuE

Interesting. Maybe when first writing Heir to the Empire, Zahn did have that in mind. He always said he wanted to harden the sci-fi in Star Wars a bit. I can't see a blue guy being a full-blown alien fitting into that. However he never specified that officially and it seems eventually he had another idea. /speculation.

So because they failed to follow a defined blueprint of your expectation designed by someone else, you decide to cry about it on forums?

At the end of the day we don't know what commandment over the force Luke will share with his EU counterpart, the type of villian Kylo will be after training with Snoke, or the amount of talent and overall personification of the Light that Rey will be. So for the sake of the real Star Wars fans, keep the complaining to a minimal until the lore completes itself. Or continue to be miserable while swimming in the bliss of your nostalgia.

At the end of the day, since the original creator of Thrawn supports the new appearance and personality of the new (once again stated as Celebration 16), we should atleast attempt the same.

I was simply wondering about a new customization options and not about the psychological evaluations around the EU and its creators.

Christ, how far will you apologists take it? They're shutting down any hope of what you claim you want at every turn and yet you still go "well gee, maybe the fiftieth time it'll be different and they won't screw up something I enjoyed". And then you turn around and bite my head off.

And if you really expect Zahn to say anything even remotely not 100% in support of Disney, you're way beyond my help, man. Or anyone's really. Zahn's praising it comes as zero surprise, particularly since they're commisioning another book from him. Maybe they do stay faithful to the character and maybe they don't. But you can't infer his true feelings from it one way or another because regardless of what he really thinks he's definitely not going to bite the hand that feeds. Meanwhile, Disney isn't paying me a damn thing and never will so I can say what I like. And unless you're taking their checks it's ok to criticize them too. Or at least to not attack those who do.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Christ, how far will you apologists take it? They're shutting down any hope of what you claim you want at every turn and yet you still go "well gee, maybe the fiftieth time it'll be different and they won't screw up something I enjoyed". And then you turn around and bite my head off.

And if you really expect Zahn to say anything even remotely not 100% in support of Disney, you're way beyond my help, man. Or anyone's really. Zahn's praising it comes as zero surprise, particularly since they're commisioning another book from him. Maybe they do stay faithful to the character and maybe they don't. But you can't infer his true feelings from it one way or another because regardless of what he really thinks he's definitely not going to bite the hand that feeds. Meanwhile, Disney isn't paying me a damn thing and never will so I can say what I like. And unless you're taking their checks it's ok to criticize them too. Or at least to not attack those who do.

Occasional criticism is more than alright. Constant ************ is not. I have read the majority of texts regarding the EU from the Thrawn trilogy to Aftermath. I've watched mostly everything they did including the over the top Christmas specials. And I've even played all games with the exception of a few that had no story context or affiliation with some sort of lore. Having engaged in this much of Legends, even I have appreciated the variety that the new canon brings. Plus I've learned that Disney, LucasArts, Bioware or any other company cannot appeal to everyone. And it just so happens that the majority of Star Wars fans, which brings in the largest sum of revenue, is appealed to this sort of thing. Similarly to the HM/NiM raiding community which is extremely insignificant in number to those who play the game for the story aspect, Disney will continue to appeal to the the greatest number of fans which once again prefers a humanoid species to have human like eyes.

Also, Zahn had the opportunity to change things about the character yet the eyes was ultimately left unaltered as it is understandable why a character like Thrawn which holds a prestigious stature with limited movement would need to pinpoint his target for the younger viewers. Either that or you would have him pronounce the name of the person he is talking to constantly so that you know he is still in fact carrying on the conversation with that individual despite pauses which might appear in the dialogue.

We asked for Thrawn. We got Thrawn. Why must the difference between solid red eyes and red eyes with human details be the part we remember about the character. . .

Edited by xPhoQuE

We asked for Thrawn. We got Thrawn. Why must the difference between solid red eyes and red eyes with human details be the part we remember about the character. . .

I can't shake the feeling that this is retaliation for Asajj Ventress.

Occasional criticism is more than alright. Constant ************ is not. I have read the majority of texts regarding the EU from the Thrawn trilogy to Aftermath. I've watched mostly everything they did including the over the top Christmas specials. And I've even played all games with the exception of a few that had no story context or affiliation with some sort of lore. Having engaged in this much of Legends, even I have appreciated the variety that the new canon brings. Plus I've learned that Disney, LucasArts, Bioware or any other company cannot appeal to everyone.

So the answer then is to give them all the finger? Because that is exactly what has happened ever since that damnable announcement two years ago. There's "creative freedom", there's "profits" there's "maximizing ROI and minimizing costs" and then there's this. The methodical way that they have gone out of their way to destroy the old canon and reassemble it as their version cannot be explained by any of these. At every step, they've made sure their creation is fundamentally incompatible with anything that came before only to go back and pick and choose and twist what they did like to put it their version. Thirty years of development, both in universe and IRL systematically obliterated to... what? Remake a New Hope? Are you *********** kidding me? I'm all for path of least resistance and companies only caring about their bottom line, I really am. But this behavior is downright hateful. And no I don't think Disney is cackling madly as their plan to collect my tears comes to fruition. This isn't personal. I suspect it's simply a dominance thing. Disney wants to take the franchise apart and put it back together only this time, every individual piece is stamped with Mickey's logo. It's like a weird, marketing reverse engineering. It's not enough that they own it, they have to merge its essence into themselves.

Ok that last bit devolved into rambling. I'm not proud of it. But I stand by everything else I said. And I will not buy into their crap as a result of it.

And it just so happens that the majority of Star Wars fans, which brings in the largest sum of revenue, is appealed to this sort of thing. Similarly to the HM/NiM raiding community which is extremely insignificant in number to those who play the game for the story aspect, Disney will continue to appeal to the the greatest number of fans which once again prefers a humanoid species to have human like eyes.

The difference here is Bioware didn't go back and remove raids and replace them with solo cutscenes where notKephess spouts some nonsense and you're supposed to keel over and present your belly. Not developing for a portion of the franchise =/= wiping out what they like about it.

Also I'm gonna need a source for the underlined.

Also, Zahn had the opportunity to change things about the character yet the eyes was ultimately left unaltered as it is understandable why a character like Thrawn which holds a prestigious stature with limited movement would need to pinpoint his target for the younger viewers. Either that or you would have him pronounce the name of the person he is talking to constantly so that you know he is still in fact carrying on the conversation with that individual despite pauses which might appear in the dialogue.

Bro... do you even cartoon?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/transformers-geewun.jpg

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/x-men_L39.jpg

http://manytorrents.net/_ld/118/01329531.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Silver_Serfer_DVD_cover.jpg

http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2010/02/Transmetal-Megatron-Beast-Wars_1265499510.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/d/de/Reboot-Hexadecimal.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130418153119

That last one from a little Canadian gem called Reboot, emoted perfectly with static face (technically a series of masks she could change at will) and not once in the history of TV was anyone confused what she was talking about.

Give it up. That argument is flimsier than Trump's credibility. And I don't mean as a presidential candidate. I mean as a person.

Because it's symptomatic of what I've been saying- Disney changes things not because they need to, not even because they don't care. But because **** you.

Look, I will admit them adapting Thrawn is the first thing they've done I have any positive things to say about (other than good job on making Rey and Finn likeable and relateable, though that should've just been a given). Like I said, possibly in another thread, the fact that they've brought him in, as opposed to simply inventing a teal skinned character named Large Brigadier General Sprawn is a good thing, for the most part. But I simply can't abide by all the crap they did before, and this is too little too late.

So the answer then is to give them all the finger? Because that is exactly what has happened ever since that damnable announcement two years ago. There's "creative freedom", there's "profits" there's "maximizing ROI and minimizing costs" and then there's this. The methodical way that they have gone out of their way to destroy the old canon and reassemble it as their version cannot be explained by any of these. At every step, they've made sure their creation is fundamentally incompatible with anything that came before only to go back and pick and choose and twist what they did like to put it their version. Thirty years of development, both in universe and IRL systematically obliterated to... what? Remake a New Hope? Are you *********** kidding me? I'm all for path of least resistance and companies only caring about their bottom line, I really am. But this behavior is downright hateful. And no I don't think Disney is cackling madly as their plan to collect my tears comes to fruition. This isn't personal. I suspect it's simply a dominance thing. Disney wants to take the franchise apart and put it back together only this time, every individual piece is stamped with Mickey's logo. It's like a weird, marketing reverse engineering. It's not enough that they own it, they have to merge its essence into themselves.

Ok that last bit devolved into rambling. I'm not proud of it. But I stand by everything else I said. And I will not buy into their crap as a result of it.

The difference here is Bioware didn't go back and remove raids and replace them with solo cutscenes where notKephess spouts some nonsense and you're supposed to keel over and present your belly. Not developing for a portion of the franchise =/= wiping out what they like about it.

Also I'm gonna need a source for the underlined.

Bro... do you even cartoon?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/transformers-geewun.jpg

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/x-men_L39.jpg

http://manytorrents.net/_ld/118/01329531.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Silver_Serfer_DVD_cover.jpg

http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2010/02/Transmetal-Megatron-Beast-Wars_1265499510.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/d/de/Reboot-Hexadecimal.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130418153119

That last one from a little Canadian gem called Reboot, emoted perfectly with static face (technically a series of masks she could change at will) and not once in the history of TV was anyone confused what she was talking about.

Give it up. That argument is flimsier than Trump's credibility. And I don't mean as a presidential candidate. I mean as a person.

Because it's symptomatic of what I've been saying- Disney changes things not because they need to, not even because they don't care. But because **** you.

Look, I will admit them adapting Thrawn is the first thing they've done I have any positive things to say about (other than good job on making Rey and Finn likeable and relateable, though that should've just been a given). Like I said, possibly in another thread, the fact that they've brought him in, as opposed to simply inventing a teal skinned character named Large Brigadier General Sprawn is a good thing, for the most part. But I simply can't abide by all the crap they did before, and this is too little too late.

I'm amazed how this went from a what about this new customization so every damn Chiss doesn't look the same to a **** Mickey speech but w.e.

The reason they decided to make Episode 7 like 4 was because of the nostalgia obsessed elderly who *****ed and complained about the Prequels. It's either too far from the roots that made Star Wars or too similar. So they was too scared to reach out with creativity to explore possibilities because of the chance of a major backlash.

Second point is Disney did what Disney needed to do. Even as an obsessed fan like myself, the EU is nothing more than a jammed cluster**** of amazing stories. Disney originally had intentions to simply clean it but it turned out that was near impossible due to the sheer amount of content. Then aside from the quantity, the lore was just terrible in some areas (obvious example would be the many clones of Palpatine post RoTJ). Does that just not make the end of the movie irrelevant. Not only that but the EU restricted creativity and expectations. If the timeline is already concreted, how are there supposed to be any twists, surprises, or scares. I agree with the scrapping of some material (especially everything post RoTJ) so that Disney can act freely, but not of things prior the movies.

And for the Thrawn argument, that is from Filoni not myself. Considering the large sums of income he has made due to his successes in animation rather it's TCW or Rebels, I trust him more than I do ranters on various forums. If he believes that it is better for the young viewers of Rebels to know exactly who Thrawn is looking at, then so be it. I stand by my point. If you are crying about little cosmetic details then that's purely pathetic. Because Star Wars is a work of Art aimed at many differs age groups and generations, trade offs are inevitable. Some good will be sacrificed, some bad will be purged.

And I also believe Disney decided to take action into their own hands. They saw the amazing OT then the mediocre Prequels and refused to let a series end like that. Without the purchase of Star Wars by Disneh, the movies was over considering Lucas said the show was focused around Anakin and the Skywalkers. The fact that he ended there and had intentions to work on other science fantasy works, there was a chance that content would be lacking now.

But rant over. Stand by your opinion and I will do the same. Good day, sir. I shall not waste time responding to stubborn individuals and I hope you don't waste time on people like me.

PS: Add the customization options Biowaret. If they prefer the old, then don't buy the new. If you would rather take the canon, then pay 100 cc's for it.