The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Directly from Star Wars Celebration, Grand Admiral Thrawn Rebels season 3

Galdric

I can only hope that because Disney is using one of Timothy Zahn's characters that they will be willing to hire him to write a novel or two, because the people they have hired so far, well, I don't mean to be rude ,but they can't write Star Wars. At least not like Zahn. I miss the books and the EU.

Yeah the new range of Star Wars books have been pretty bloody awful.

Yeah the new range of Star Wars books have been pretty bloody awful.

Haven't read Bloodline yet (and is Life Debt out?), but I haven't actually disliked any of the other Canon novels, the worst I can say about some is that they were rather forgettable once I was done with them.

Twilight Company and Lost Stars I thoroughly enjoyed. I would love to read more books following some of their characters or written by their authors.

Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, Aftermath, and Dark Disciple all were all decent - not Heir to the Empire level, but as good as most Legends novels (while I wasn't a huge fan of Aftermath's present-tense writing, I liked the cast enough that I'm looking forward to their ongoing adventures).

Heir to the Jedi, and A New Dawn were each alright, they just didn't leave much of a lasting impression for me.

I'm definitely excited for a Thrawn novel, especially written by Zahn.

Edited by DarthDymond

Just to connect some with the threads headline; The SW;R Season 3 trailer received standing ovations as it was apparently clear that Thrawn was about to come back in from the cold and rejoin Canon. Strong characters and stories will not be ignored; It actually was a pure joy to watch Filoni at the panels, his commitment and engagement to Star Wars is really coming across at those moments.

When it comes to Star Wars novels I'm real picky, I do understand that critic that CW got for "Aftermath" but I really thought that the story was far worse than the writing. Tarkin started of real good and interesting but lost it's originality as further as I read, think both those novels really suffers from a lack of consistent and focused storytelling and have far to large person gallerys.

Edited by t-darko

The return of Thrawn to true canon and all of the narrative respect that entails was the best news to come out of Celebration. I'm now quite excited for season 3 because of his inclusion even if I won't refrain from affirming my reservations about his eyes. They are an iconic element of his character design and as far as I'm concerned disliking their conversion to a more conventional design is not petty. Perhaps they'll throw in a saving gesture and explain that these are cosmetic lenses he wears to put his subordinates at ease or something.

And while we're on the subject of novels, Luceno, Kemp, and Freed have made the most memorable contributions I've read. Cuck Wingding, however, is a hack and should never have been handed a trilogy deal.

Much has already been said of Thrawn (been watching many reaction videos, which is always fun to watch), so I am not going much into that. However in one video there is a reaction that's interesting, which might have more connection to SWTOR in a way. Some might be wondering what that big being is talking to Kanan, and the poster in a video pointed it out; I will just copy/paste the comment: "I was more excited by the big creature that called himself a Bendu. They were one of the original species that was brought to Tython like 36,000 BBY and was part of original Jedi Order called the Je'daii Order. The Je'daii order was not just light or dark side, they were a balance of both. It was said when the order broke into to different factions, the Bendu left, but kept the balance of the force, so both light and dark. I was more excited about that revelation than Thrawn because they are bringing the origins or the Jedi and Je'daii order into canon. Yall should read those stories, they are really good." Now this is interesting, since theoretically anyway there might be a chance to see at least parts of SWTOR to become canon....

• 4 weeks later...

Well i fear it will be less interesting as some of you might think. If you take a close look what happend in the seaons before and how the authors always wrote the "out of jail card" all the time,they either have to make Thrawn look like a completly idiot on that what he does or he crushes the little freighter and the whole Rebellion under his boot and we all know that's something what won't be happening. So only solution one will be valid.

So let's see how long he is allowed to have a role in this series.

Well i fear it will be less interesting as some of you might think. If you take a close look what happend in the seaons before and how the authors always wrote the "out of jail card" all the time,they either have to make Thrawn look like a completly idiot on that what he does or he crushes the little freighter and the whole Rebellion under his boot and we all know that's something what won't be happening. So only solution one will be valid.

So let's see how long he is allowed to have a role in this series.

It's quite possible they'll handle Thrawn the same way they've been doing Vader and Tarkin: Comes in, kicks ***, and then departs for other, more important projects leaving the "mopping up" to incompetent peons.

It's quite possible they'll handle Thrawn the same way they've been doing Vader and Tarkin: Comes in, kicks ***, and then departs for other, more important projects leaving the "mopping up" to incompetent peons.

Filoni and crew have already stated they're treating Thrawn like they do Darth Vader.

He's going to make a few appearances throughout the season and that's it.

Filoni stated he can't appear often because they don't want to diminish his threat.