Trouble, Destiny, and Other Complications - AU: Caught

frauzet

Thank you all for the positive feedback! It is much appreciated.

I managed a short next part over the weekend.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I am lying here blinking, and sniveling. It’s the damned disinfectant. I can’t stand the smell. The thought causes me to snort. Usually I’m a fairly good liar. Not that I lie a lot, but when I do, people believe my lies. I do, too. Circumstances sometimes require you to deceive yourself. Sometimes the truth is too much. And sometimes it’s so obvious even the best meant lie won’t work. In my life crying isn’t an option. Doesn’t mean I don’t sometimes feel like it. Like now. I hate being helpless. There is nothing I can do about it, but I guess that’s what helpless means. Doesn’t make it better in any way. In fact, it makes me angry. Since I’ve been captured, I’ve been through quite a number of people to be angry at. In the end there is nobody left but me. It’s beyond my imagination how one single being can be so kriffing stupid all on its own. Instead of following her blindly, I should have talked my friend out of this plan. Robbing a Sith tomb. On Korriban for Force’s sake. Brain-dead. In the back of my mind Ce’na laughes. She wishes me good luck. Yeah, right, when it comes to rescuing stupid artifacts even my stubbornness is no match for hers. ‘Was’, another part of my brain chimes in. Overwhelmed by thankfulness for the reminder I blink some more. Damned disinfectant!

The silence in the room is karking depressing. Marun won’t talk to me. I give the shackles on my wrists another tug. She ignores the rattle. She knows I am unable to break my bonds. Her quiet frustrates me more than anything else. I am just some little insect not worthy of her notice. She treated my wounds and bruises in a professional way. Not overly tender, no unnecessary cruelness either. Somehow that’s harder to bear than had she mistreated me. No reason to be angry at her instead of myself. She made it clear I am an absolute waste of space, unfit even to serve as cautionary tale. Never, not even when mom died, have I felt this forlorn. But I had my brother back then. We were both children, but it was clear Nik needed me. Being needed makes up for a lot of s.hit. And now? Who needs me now? There is nobody left but the Sith!

How long has he been gone? There is no clock in my field of view. I don’t know how long I’ve been unconscious. He won’t try to open the tomb without me, will he? Would that cancel our deal? I recall him spitting into his palm. No, you don’t cancel a deal, that’s been sealed by a proper ritual. From what I heard, Sith are all about proper rituals and tradition. They all chewed too much luna-weed, but even they have some rules. He’ll come back. I’m starting to doubt my judgment, when the door opens.

Edit: misspelling corrected, thanks @MishaCantu for pointing it out :D

Edited by frauzet

I do love Thorn's thoughts on lying, even self deception, he is so insightful but I guess that comes from experience given his profession pre-capture. Also the bit about sith rituals was very well put. Luna weed made me chuckle.

I really like the following line, quite a lot in fact.

She made it clear I am an absolute waste of space, unfit even to serve as cautionary tale.

I assume it is the sith who walks in? Perhaps not, can't wait for this to continue. :)

The word is liar not lier, for some reason that bothered me. Sorry. :o

Edited by MishaCantu

Luna weed. He hee. It did make me giggle too.

Thorns is so down to earth, I really am enjoying his ruminations while in captivity. He has such a unique and interesting way of looking at things. He's a very honest character, if not by trade/occupation so much, as he just says how things are and doesn't really see the point of being anything but honest. A quiet scene, but a very interesting one. :)

I do love Thorn's thoughts on lying, even self deception, he is so insightful but I guess that comes from experience given his profession pre-capture. Also the bit about sith rituals was very well put. Luna weed made me chuckle.

I really like the following line, quite a lot in fact.

I assume it is the sith who walks in? Perhaps not, can't wait for this to continue. :)

The word is liar not lier, for some reason that bothered me. Sorry. :o

Again, thank you for pointing out the mistake. I corrected it in the original post. There are quite a number of English words the spellchecker has no chance to recognize as being wrong in the given context. And there were enough l, i, and e in the vicinity, I could have read it a dozen times more and would have missed it. :)

Usually the sentence goes something like 'Someone who is not useful for anything, can still serve as bad example'. Obviously Marun thinks even less of Thorns.

Excellent as always. We learn a little bit more about Thorns with every entry, snippet by snippet, and yet it doesn't get boring or repetitive. Looking forward to see who walks in. :)

I am glad you think it isn't boring. I wonder about that sometimes. On the other hand, although I've reached quite a number of chapters, it's not that many words yet.

Luna weed. He hee. It did make me giggle too.

Thorns is so down to earth, I really am enjoying his ruminations while in captivity. He has such a unique and interesting way of looking at things. He's a very honest character, if not by trade/occupation so much, as he just says how things are and doesn't really see the point of being anything but honest. A quiet scene, but a very interesting one. :)

I got the luna-weed from the list of phrases and slang on Wookieepedia:

Chewing the luna-weed: Phrase used to describe someone who is acting crazy.

Somehow that seemed fitting to describe how Thorns sees Force users in general and Sith in particular.

His honesty is one of the main reasons why the original Thorns doesn't get along very well with Gault. Thorns made some experiences that back up the term 'disarming honesty'. (I am not sure you say this in English, too.)

I had planned to add a bit more to the following chapter. I fact I already wrote some of that during lunch break today. Then I gloriously forgot to take the sheet of paper home after work...

______________________________________________________________________________________

How glad I am to see Ciner. Disturbing! He’s still wearing the same form-fitting gray clothes. Just like most of the acolytes we met. Smiling he greets Marun. Friends smile this way at their friends. It makes the eyes shine. I lost the people who looked at me this way. The Sith’ eyes flicker to me, but he is distracted by someone following him in through the door. I tense. But it’s only a slave carrying a box he now puts down at the desk as directed. Only a slave. Something inside me cringes. Will people disregard me the same way from now on? After a curt nod from Ciner, the man sets down a backpack beside the box and leaves.

“How is your patient?” Why does he ask Marun and not myself?

“He’ll survive,” she says. “The kolto had some time to take effect.” Enthusiasm sounds different.

“It took me longer than anticipated to get this.” The Sith points at the box. Then he looks at me. There is an unspoken question in his eyes. He holds my gaze until he knows the answer. Our deal still stands. “Release him,” he orders while opening the backpack.

Marun stares at me, at him.

“Please?” The Sith gives a little shrug that seems to say ‘What are you waiting for?’. He pulls a brown paper bag from the backpack.

The stomach rumble starts before I had time to process the smell of food. I keep still as Marun removes my shackles. Only after she steps away from the cot, do I sit up and massage my wrists and ankles. We watch each other warily even though I am only doing some stretching exercises. Is she waiting for an excuse to attack, even kill me? I don’t intend to give her one. Slower than my condition requires, I move towards the desk, where Ciner has unwrapped the food. The world shrinks to a pile of wraps. The smell is unfamiliar, though. I can almost see it, drifting through the room in rippling waves of various hues of green, red, and yellow. My mouth is watering.

Again Marun’s gaze shifts from Ciner to me and back. I don’t know what she sees in him, but something changes as she compares us. Part of the rigidity in her eyes melts away. She sighs. “Put the food away!”

“Why? He needs to eat something,” Ciner protests.

“My lord, you have never really been hungry.”

“Of course I’ve been. That’s why I brought a double portion.”

Marun rummages in a bag she takes from one of the shelves. “He’s half starved. The wraps are too fat. He’ll have trouble digesting them.” She tosses an apple my way. “Start with this. Small bites. Chew thoroughly.”

Catching the apple is no problem. Breaking my gaze away from the wraps is. I know Marun’s right though. “Thanks.” Begrudgingly. I take a first bite. I’ve never tasted something more delicious. Marun hands me a glass of water. The best Alderaanian Red wouldn’t be more welcome.

Ciner stows away the paper bag. “More provisions for later.” Then he removes the lid from the box.

I am close enough to see what’s inside. I recognize the blasters immediately.

I love the way Thorns thoughts can cover so much diversity in so little space. From friends to being a slave to finally having solid food, every observation or change in circumstance has such a profound impact on him. It is a joy to read.

Blasters, huh? Can't wait for the next chapter.:)

Ciner and Thorns really are a joy to read. With Thorns, it's the way he explores things, he states his mind so simply and in such a way that it's very easy to relate to him and his struggles.

I did enjoy the bit about the wraps. I think Ciner meant well, but I think Marun is right, starvation has to be treated slowly...and you could practically see Thorn's disappointment when those wraps were taken away lol. Poor guy. I'm curious to see what will happen next with those blasters.

I'm sorry I'm late to the party, I almost missed this update. :o

I love the way Thorns thoughts can cover so much diversity in so little space. From friends to being a slave to finally having solid food, every observation or change in circumstance has such a profound impact on him. It is a joy to read.

Blasters, huh? Can't wait for the next chapter.:)

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Ciner and Thorns really are a joy to read. With Thorns, it's the way he explores things, he states his mind so simply and in such a way that it's very easy to relate to him and his struggles.

I did enjoy the bit about the wraps. I think Ciner meant well, but I think Marun is right, starvation has to be treated slowly...and you could practically see Thorn's disappointment when those wraps were taken away lol. Poor guy. I'm curious to see what will happen next with those blasters.

I'm sorry I'm late to the party, I almost missed this update. :o

Tank you! With Thorns I actually try to stick to the easier and more common English vocabulary I know. Not that I know much else, but thesaurus.com does :D

There are several opinions about the best method for fast-breaking. An apple works well in my experience. But it's always hard not to skip that step once food starts to smell good again after I've been sick. :)

And there is no reason to be sorry. It's not like I keep any reasonable schedule.

Hrm ... I'm hungry again. :)

Agreed, this story flows amazingly well. Thorns' thoughts flow in a way that makes me envious, his thought process is detailed so naturally and believably.

It seems like it's time for some action! Looking forward to the next part.

Thank you, too! For me thoughts are much easier to write than action scenes :)

But there's at least a little bit of action in the next part.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Halfway out of the box. That’s how far I get one of the blasters before Marun draws hers. Unlike the one I took, hers is loaded. Since she has been carrying it around rather carelessly even after removing my bonds, I’ll take any bet it’s coded to her. Quick summary, she’s armed, I’m not. Maybe her weapon is set to stun mode, maybe she won’t shoot at all, maybe the Sith will interfere. Maybe ‘maybe’ isn’t enough, after he’s talked me out of my suicidal mood.

Lulled by the Sith’ presence, Marun has made one critical mistake. Curious to see it’s contents, too, she has stepped closer to the box just like I have done. Now she is within arms reach. I let the blaster drop back into the box and snap my body sideways, out of the way of her weapon. With one hand I grab and pull her rising wrist. Simultaneously I knock her gun away with my other hand. While her blaster clatters harmlessly to the floor, I ram my elbow into her solar plexus. At least that’s what I mean to do, only her solar plexus is no longer there.

Marun’s a head shorter than me, but she’s fit and fast. And she’s probably got more training, and more professional one at that, in unarmed combat than I did with my handful of street fights and cantina brawls, and a few tricks I learned from friends. It’s no shame to find myself on my belly with her kneeling on my back and twisting my arm. I’d tell her I yield, but I’m still holding the apple between my teeth. I must look like a suckling pig ready to be served.

“You know, Marun,” Ciner, who hasn’t moved, chimes in, “one of these days I’ll really get jealous.”

“This isn’t a joke, my lord. He went for the blaster.”

“Yes, knowing it is unloaded. Do you think he wanted to clobber us with it?”

The thought is tempting. But I’d hardly be able to convince Marun to keep still for me. And even if she’d cooperate, I wouldn’t do it. Not with Ce’na’s blaster anyway. She wouldn’t have approved.

“He is dangerous!” Marun states.

Ciner raises an eyebrow in an overdone mocking way as he crosses his arms and leans slightly back to look at us. “Yes, dangerous. Obviously!”

Marun is just as little amused as I am. She pushes herself off me and back into a standing position. The resulting shove she gives me makes me grunt. I clamp my teeth and am unable to catch the apple. Damned. I clamber to my feet, then bend down to pick up my meal. After some curt but crucial inspection and a strong blow, I shrug and take another bite. A few grains of sand, I pretend not to notice, scrunch between my teeth. The fruit is still far from the worst I’ve eaten. A little bit of dirt hasn’t managed to kill me yet. “I just wanted…” I start, still chewing. “The blasters belonged to my friend.”

“The blue Twi’lek.” Ciner nods. “I know. She operated the locking mechanism. I am interested in this.” He reaches into the box and takes out a datapad. A little shove brings the box closer to me. “You can have the blasters. Energy cells are in there, too.”

Marun throws her hands up in the air in a gesture of frustration. “This man is a murderer, and you are handing him his preferred weapons. Is there a reason why you’re not concerned?”

The Sith looks at me as he answers her question. “We both want to survive. And together our chances are much better.” It’s a good reason, if you ask me.

Marun still shakes her head, but she lets the argument rest. After retrieving and holstering her blaster she begins to search for some first aid equipment for us to take along.

Meanwhile, Ciner examines the datapad. A flimsi attached to its front obviously conveys the password. Well, whoever cracked it, had enough time to do so. A number of people must have seen the contents of the device. Still, the Sith gaining access bothers me. The thing contains Ce’na’s diary. He has no right to read it. Only, Sith aren’t bothered by what’s right or wrong. Like everyone else in power. And I am not talking about laws. I don’t care for those either. Especially when they are meant to oppress the people. No, I’m talking about what’s morally right. You don’t kill children, you don’t have sex without consent, and you don’t read anyones karking diary. I don’t know why I get into such a fuss about it. Maybe it’s because I’d like to know what she wrote myself.

The Sith looks up from the pad. He senses my agitation. Or maybe it’s because of the background holo showing me and Ce’na. “I was told this contains maps of the tomb,” he says.

I sigh. “Yes, she took notes on what she found out about the traps and the locking mechanism, too. They’re hidden inside this game, the one with the falling blocks. Icon in the upper right corner. You have to play through level three.” He nods, and after a few seconds the telltale melody of the game starts to play.

I swallow the last tag of the apple, wipe my hands on my not overly clean pant legs, and attend to the box. Apart from odds and ends it contains the two blasters, a handful of energy cells, and a belt with attached holsters.

I take out one of the weapons. Closer inspection shows it has been cleaned and oiled. The other one as well. Maybe a forensic scientist did some tests with them. I take them both apart and reassemble them to be on the safe side. I’ve seen more facial surgery caused by exploding blasters than I care for. The guns are lighter than mine, the butts not nearly as smooth from wear, and smaller than I am used to. I’d like to do some target practice before I have to use them in earnest, but I doubt anyone would volunteer their firing range.

The belt fits, if only barely. Another sign of how much weight I must have lost. Ce’na was slim and willowy. For a moment I finger the hole she used to fasten the belt. It’s easy to identify. It’s the first, a bit larger than the rest, and warped from use. She made it herself. Couldn’t find a belt small enough to fit properly. I fasten the holsters to my thighs. Two of the energy cells go to the blasters, the rest into the belt pouches.

Before I holster them I put the guns in safety mode and make sure Marun sees me do it. I know she’s been observing me all along while I handled the weapons. I readjust the belt, then draw the blasters several times, and readjust the belt again. After several repetitions I am content with the outcome. The arrangement isn’t as comfortable as my own used to be, but it will do. It has to.

When I am done Ciner is already waiting. “Bring the backpack. We have an appointment.”

I echo Luna's assessment of this post. Everything from the suckling pig to the detail about the additional hole in the belt was well done. Thorns thoughts on moral laws was interesting considering it may have been motivated by his curiosity about the diary.

The map hidden inside a video game, I didn't see that coming, and I am starting to enjoy Ciner almost as much as I do Thorns.

An appointment? Waiting eagerly for the next. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I loved the descriptions and the imagery. I could totally see Thorns in 'sucking pig' position...I actually had that visual in my head before I read it. Loved the action and I really enjoy Ciner's pragmatism.

Another lovely chapter!

Thank you, I may have trouble writing someone who isn't pragmatic :)

I echo Luna's assessment of this post. Everything from the suckling pig to the detail about the additional hole in the belt was well done. Thorns thoughts on moral laws was interesting considering it may have been motivated by his curiosity about the diary.

The map hidden inside a video game, I didn't see that coming, and I am starting to enjoy Ciner almost as much as I do Thorns.

An appointment? Waiting eagerly for the next. :D

Thank you! Thorns has some strange notions about what's wrong and right, but reading another person's diary belongs to those things you can't make undone. You can give back stolen property, but you can't "unread" someone's most personal thoughts. Still he'd be tempted to read it if he had the chance. So he is definitely angry at himself in this situation.

I am still here, albeit a little bit swamped in rl right now. There is much more stuff to do than time to get it done. The priority for writing isn't anywhere near the top atm. As a result I have written next to nothing, but that's still better than nothing at all. And I did start this thread to post short pieces.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

We reach the shuttle pad without incident. The looks I draw are even more hostile now that I am armed. Nothing I didn’t expect. Without the earlier level of pain I feel the wind biting through my shoddy clothes. Whatever Marun gave me made me stronger. Still, the backpack, and Ciner’s pace make me sweat. Not a healthy combination. But catching a cold is the least of my problems.

A small shuttle sits at the pad. An officer is leaning in the open hatch. I am not sure about his rank. Differences in armor and insignia don’t play that much of a role if you gonna shoot anyway. The man straightens as we approach. His brown hair could use a cut by military standards, otherwise he’s pretty nondescript. He salutes. “My lord.”

It’s fairly easy to make someone fear you. The respect showing in the soldier’s eyes is far more precious.

The Sith smiles. “At ease, sergeant! I am glad you could make the time.”

“It’s an honor, my lord. It’s the least we can do.” He nods toward the pilot inside the shuttle, who waves a hand in greeting. “Those k’lor’slugs would have eaten us alive without your help!”

Ciner clasps his shoulder. “I was only doing my duty, same as you.”

The soldiers beams at him. “Hop in! We’ll get you up there in no time.” The wrinkling of his nose shows his disgust when he looks at me. “Maybe we better leave the hatch open.”

Yeah, whatever. As long as nobody tries to shove me out of the shuttle once we’ve reached proper flying height.

I am so happy to know Thorns lives no matter how short the chapter. I do so appreciate his take on the world.

I do love the following line, it is very insightful, but then so is Thorns, not much escapes him. :)

It’s fairly easy to make someone fear you. The respect showing in the soldier’s eyes is far more precious.

Hope things ease up for you a bit for your sake and also so I don't have to wait so long for the next installment.

I really enjoy Thorns's perspective on things. He's right, it's much harder to earn respect than to evoke fear. I also enjoy the touches of humour you inject, like the part at the end about the hatch. That made me giggle. Poor guy could do with a clean up, lol. :p

Ack! I somehow missed commenting on the previous chapter, which was wonderful. Completely agreed with Luna and Misha's comments, the imagery was painted beautifully (suckling pig, haha!). I'm always impressed with how you accomplish so much in so few words.

The last post was excellent as well. Looking forward to more as always.

• 1 month later...

Hello @all!

I am sorry this update took me so long. As some of you will be aware I can't find the energy to read, much less write, something most of the evenings of late.

Nothing tragic happened. Things in RL keep adding up, like they have a habit of doing for probably all of us. I am working on it.

Thank you, for your understanding, and bearing with me :)

The part I'll post now has actually been written for some time, but was waiting for some additional paragraphs. Now it will have to suffice as a life sign.

This thread isn't dead yet!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thousands of rocks, all looking the same. Five minutes after the shuttle’s start the plateau is ours. The wind blows across the valley away from us, carrying any sounds from below with it. I take a look around and suddenly know what desolate means. It’s not only the bleakness. Even the smallest pebbles beneath my feet ooze a disheartening mood that creeps through the thin soles of my shoes into my very flesh and makes itself at home in the marrow of my bones. The wind feels almost warm in comparison. I rub my upper arms and shiver.

Ciner looks at me expectantly. “Where is the entry?”

Kark, how am I supposed to know? Did I mention everything looks the same? I turn around in a circle. A nearby cluster of small boulders looks familiar, but it’s too close to the edge. With my back to the valley I start to walk. “We came from somewhere over there.” I point vaguely ahead. “There is a shallow depression where we left our speeders.”

Ciner follows my zigzag course for a short distance. “You have no idea where you are going, do you?”

“I told you, I was only a hired gun. I kept my eyes open for attackers, and it’s not like there are any memorable landmarks.” I kick one of the stones right in front of me. “Kriffin’…” I don’t close my eyes fast enough as the wind blows the stirred sand and dust right back at me. These things don’t happen in Coruscant’s or Nar Shaddaa’s underbelly. Not much wind there. While I wipe at my eyes I rehearse some of the more flowery words I learned from Knash. My stay in the jail was indeed educational.

“While it might be amusing to let you struggle some more,” Ciner chimes in, “I cannot afford further delays.”

Blinking I watch as he takes two fast steps forward and leaps straight into the air. To follow his rise I tilt my head back until it bumps into the backpack.

He lands in a cloud of dust. “Found your depression.”

I have to hurry to catch up with him. He leads me to a spot several hundred meters to the left of my original path. I would have stumbled right past it. Of course the speeders are gone, but enough tracks remain to confirm this is the place I was looking for. Unfortunately no marks survived beyond the rim of the depression. I scan the area we just crossed. From this direction still nothing stands out.

Welcome back, I have missed your posts. :D Hope things will start looking up for you sooner rather than later.

Thorns is one of my favorite characters on these forums, and I really have missed his insight of the world he has been so cruelly thrust into. It's not like he hasn't been truthful with Ciner all along about his role in all that happened. Thorns entire description of the plateau emotes such desolation in so few words, it still amazes me how you do that.

Anyway, happy the thread is not dead, and I am eager for more, when you have the energy and time to continue.

Welcome back, I have missed your posts. :D Hope things will start looking up for you sooner rather than later.

Thorns is one of my favorite characters on these forums, and I really have missed his insight of the world he has been so cruelly thrust into. It's not like he hasn't been truthful with Ciner all along about his role in all that happened. Thorns entire description of the plateau emotes such desolation in so few words, it still amazes me how you do that.

Anyway, happy the thread is not dead, and I am eager for more, when you have the energy and time to continue.

Agreed, I've missed seeing Thorns' wit! Really glad the thread is not dead and the story is continuing. :) Hope things settle down for you soon, but definitely, do what you gotta do.

Thank you both! Your encouraging words mean a lot to me! <3

I remembered small steps are better than none, and I managed to get some words out of my lunch break.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The stone vanishes over the plateau’s edge. Frustration lent my kick more force than intended. “Kark!” The possible damage below isn’t the cause of my outburst, though. Neither is the dust. This time I took the wind into consideration. “Kriffin’ bantha dung!” I almost wish I’d hit someone’s head. Where is this damned ventilation shaft? The hole was small, but not this small. It has to be here somewhere. I know it has to be. By now we have crossed every square meter of the likely area at least twice. Fear the Sith will cancel our deal lurks at the corners of my thoughts. I launch into kicking the next stone. Anyone not wearing a helmet down there can blame themselves. “Farkin’ hutt’s a…”

“Enough!” Ciner interrupts me. “It is highly improbable the password to your secret passageway is comprised of expletives.” His gaze pans over our surroundings once more. The expected sigh never happens, no waver in his voice. “We will take the main entrance!”

“Wait! What did you say?”

“We will take the main entrance.” He has already taken several steps towards the edge. Hope he’s not expecting me to take the default way down.

“No, before that.”

“That your language will not help?”

“No! Yes!" I shake my head. "You said something about a secret passage.”

A smile plays at the corners of his mouth as comprehension dawns. “Of course.”

“Energy field!” we say in unison.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is still slow, 5.0 isn't helping :)

I hope you're all able to enjoy KotET, even though it may require some adjustments for individual head canons.

I am glad you like the boy's interaction. There will be more of it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A map only helps those who use it. Force, why didn’t I think of the map earlier. I take down the backpack and start to rummage for the datapad. We know where the main entrance is, I know where the shaft ended inside the tomb — a shaft that is perpendicular. Not sure the map showed a scale, but it should help us to further narrow the area for our search down.

Before I can boot the thing, Ciner calls. “Over here!” He’s squatting not far from me, clearing away stones and rubble. When I reach him he as already uncovered what looks like a small emitter. He points to a small heap of stones a meter in front of him. “Tidy those away!”

Part of me objects to being bossed around. Now isn’t the right moment to start a revolution, though. I swallow what I am about to say, especially since he is working on a third spot himself. It takes only a few minutes to reveal four emitters, and clear the energy field in between them half-decently of the sand and rubble hiding it. We probably walked right over it in our previous search.

“How did you find it so fast?” I know he studied the map, maybe even memorized it, but still this was quick.

A slight hesitation, he blinks twice. His gaze doesn’t waver when he answers, “I am Sith. Sith are superior to Force-blinds.”

“Yeah, sure.” Force-blinds. I wonder what he’s seen of the galaxy. Does he take his private medic everywhere? First class cabin? The letters in ‘Sith’ can be easily rearranged, but it’s cleverer to bite back the quip. “We search, and search, and suddenly the Force tells you where the entrance is? Bulls.hit!” His smug grin irritates me. Granted, the Force exists, and in my time here I have witnessed its use more often than I cared for. Still, if it were this simple he wouldn’t need me. “You probably were just lucky.”

“Even my luck is superior,” he states with his grin growing wider.

“Finally I begin to understand why your kind make a habit of killing each other. Your insufferability is superior, too.”

“Insufferableness,” he corrects me. The grin is still there, but the lines of his lips look harder. A glint has entered his eyes. I am treading on dangerous ground.

“Yeah, that as well,” I mutter while I start to poke at one of the emitters. I am not done registering the sudden hum, when the Sith’ training blade sweeps the device from under my fingers. The energy tickles in my fingertips. My surprised yelp mingles with the clatter of the remnants of the emitter falling to the ground several meters away. The energy field sputters and hisses. “Kark! Are you crazy?” Hell, now I’m starting to ask superfluous questions. The weapon is a barely perceptible blur. “Be careful! I’d like to keep my fingers.” And any other extremities as well.

Ciner’s already dispatched two more emitters, and now pauses his swing at the last one. “I was careful. You kept your fingers.”

Watching the field collapse with the last emitter flying, I rub my still tingling fingers against my palm. He has a point. Doesn’t keep me from scowling at him.

“For someone taunting his jailer into electrocuting him on a regular basis you are quite touchy.”

“Glad we sorted that out. Almost thought you’re the one who’s touchy.”

Ciner’s eyebrow rising reminds me of something my brother used to say when we were still children. Guess he was right. One of these days my mouth will get me killed. The Sith looks like he is about to say something, then thinks better of it. Instead he kneels down to examine the access to the shaft he just uncovered. A kick, a little shove, and I’d be rid of him. He looks over his shoulder. The grin is back. “When you are done struggling with temptation, get the rope out of the backpack.”

It’s just a lucky guess. I already decided he isn’t able to read my mind. My thoughts were rather obvious. I concentrate on my task and retrieve the coil of rope. High quality, light, but durable, knots in convenient intervals. There is also a retractable rod we can use to anchor the rope above the edges of the shaft. I fasten the rope to the rod, and throw the other end down into the hole. It’s pitch-black down there. “After you, my lord,” I offer with a mocking bow.

Ciner shakes his head. “While I do trust you to a certain degree, I deem it unnecessary to put this trust to tests which can be easily avoided. You will go first, and I will be right behind you.”

I shrug. Here on the plateau it’s boring anyway. I could have thrown the rope in after him, but then what? There is nowhere I can go from here without proper equipment. I shoulder the backpack and climb over the edge, and down the first meters of rope. The Sith following me blocks much of the remaining light. I take a deep breath. Now is the right time to be glad I ain’t claustrophobic. The inside of the shaft is as smooth as I remember from my first descent. There is an eerie sound, I think is caused by the wind, like it’s bewailing our loss. And while the wind can’t bite me any longer, the chill oozing out of the walls grows with every knot in the rope I pass on my way down.

I’m glad when I reach the ground. My fingers are numb. I rub and flex them to get some feeling back. Ciner lands beside me with a thump. The sound echoes through the shaft. From somewhere in the blackness the cry of some animal chimes in. At least I think that’s what it is. I readjust my blasters, make sure they slide out of the holsters easily.

“No need to be nervous. There is no other lifeform nearby.” The Sith hasn’t lost any of his confidence on the climb-down. “Pretty dark down here. Something you failed to mention.”

Something I failed to remember. The others must have had already found the light switch when I arrived last time. The shaft ends behind the base of a statue. The gaps between the wall and the monument were wide enough to grant us access to the hallway without hindrance. I grope my way along the back of the base.

“Wait. I brought an illumination probe,” Ciner tells me, but I already take a step around the corner.

My foot connects with a smooth floor tile. The Sith yanks me back, yet too late. A ghostly purple glow blossoms in front of me. The tomb knows we’re here. It’s no longer the living things I am afraid of.

Loved seeing Ciner and Thorns in action again, and what a place to leave it. I'm looking forward to see what happens next, the last line was chilling. And as always the dialogue and the way Thorns puts everything across is brilliant. Looking forward to more! ^^