Game keeps freezing

bardguild

Everyday for several hours I try to get on the game, but it keeps freezing and the game isn't responding. I am running Windows 10, but I have the game set to run in compatibility mode for windows 7. I also launch it as an admin and it does not help at all. I attempted to fix it by trying to fix the launcher, but it didn't help at all. Any suggestions.

i have a similar problem, but it happens more often, maybe every 10-15 minutes. The game freezes, i call up the task manager, but a black screen keeps me from seeing it full screen, i just see the small thumbnail.

i have i7 6850k, 32 gigs of ram, win 10 64 bit. the character is A'ragon on HARBRINGER SERVER.

Edited by belhawk
more info

my character a'ragon is now lost to me. She is stuck on a speeder going from the wall to imperial int when the game locks up. I was able to play the latest chapter, on a different server with no problem.

i found out what the problem was, the game doesn't support SLI. When i disable SLI, no more crashing. BW should support SLI & get a 64 bit client too.

SLI is based at the driver level, the current issue with windows 10 and SLI is between microsoft and Nvidia and only affects windows 10.

They have been trying to sort it , originally this issue affected single cards as well, from what i can gather there is corruption occurring in the windows 10 wddm memory manager under certain conditions

swtor is not the only game affected, more info on this is at this Nvidia Forum link

As to SLI see this link

Swtor is most relevant to the below section given it is usually CPU bound

Why don't all games see performance increases?

Applications which tax the GPU will see tremendous performance improvements of up to 2x with SLI technology when using two graphics cards. Most of today's hottest games and as well as next-generation games fall into this category. However, some applications, typically older generation applications, are limited by factors other than the GPU's processing power.

The most common limitation is the CPU. If an application becomes CPU bound, no additional graphics power can improve performance. This situation is most common at low screen resolutions like 1024x768 with no additional functionality turned on. Turning on antialiasing and anisotropic filtering or switching to higher resolutions can often move the processing requirements back to the GPU.

For CPU-bound applications, NVIDIA offers a new SLI rendering mode called SLI Antialiasing. This rendering mode allows you to enable SLI8x, SLI16x, or SLI32x (for quad SLI only) antialiasing and enhance the visual quality of any gaming application

Edited by OwenBrooks

SLI is based at the driver level, the current issue with windows 10 and SLI is between microsoft and Nvidia and only affects windows 10.

They have been trying to sort it , originally this issue affected single cards as well, from what i can gather there is corruption occurring in the windows 10 wddm memory manager under certain conditions

swtor is not the only game affected, more info on this is at this Nvidia Forum link

As to SLI see this link

I have had some problems with my taskbar & task manager in win10. When star wars crashes and i call up the task manager, it is hidden behind the black screen. And sometimes when i right click on an icon in the taskbar, only icons shows up, no words.

Swtor is most relevant to the below section given it is usually CPU bound

I have some problems with my taskbar in windows 10. after installing some mods into fallout 3, the taskbar was game, and i had to sign out and back in to cure it. Also, sometimes when i right click on an icon in the taskbar, only the icon shows, no text.

I have some problems with my taskbar in windows 10. after installing some mods into fallout 3, the taskbar was game, and i had to sign out and back in to cure it. Also, sometimes when i right click on an icon in the taskbar, only the icon shows, no text.

Do you have this recent windows update installed ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3152599 if not worth a try

Edited by OwenBrooks

SWTOR works with SLI

go to the a Nvidia Control Panel / Graphic Settings / SWTOR.exe

And select Alternate Frame Rendering 2 under SLI

APPLY and load up SWTOR

If you use MSI Afterburner i recommend starting it after the game loads. Mine hangs up the game for some reason.

I run SWTOR in Windowed (Full Screen) mode

Windows 10 latest build

Latest Nvidia drivers

MSI Afterburner will report both GPUs running and carrying nearly an equal load.

SWTOR uses a modded Hero engine that is poorly optimized. It's heavy CPU usage means GPU doesn't really matter

Also having DirectX 9c installed helps a ton since W10 uses DX12 which emulates DX9 poorly

Hope this helps.

SWTOR SLI = AFR2

Edited by Liquor