The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companions Guide

Cerec

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource (or write-up) on the use of companions. Specifically I'm curious as to when folks are using them (i.e., which situations) and why. For example, which companion for regular solo/leveling, at what level to move from x companion to y companion, which is the best companion for z altercation, etc.

I'm 38 (shieldtech) and have been using Mako exclusively just because it was easy. But, I'm thinking perhaps I'm moving slower than I could otherwise be moving with more dps (or another tank.)

Honestly it's almost a matter of preference. However if you're Shield Tech I would recommend you using Gault or Torian to help you kill stuff quicker. You shouldn't have any survivability problems with your spec so Mako is probably not a great help. Just remember to keep your dps companions geared and they can provide very adequate dps.

Honestly it's almost a matter of preference. However if you're Shield Tech I would recommend you using Gault or Torian to help you kill stuff quicker. You shouldn't have any survivability problems with your spec so Mako is probably not a great help. Just remember to keep your dps companions geared and they can provide very adequate dps.

I'm full shield and I approve this message. The exception being boss fits. Since boss fights are drawn out, almost no matter what, I have had more success with mako than with gault and torian. For fast leveling off mobs and quickly finishing quests I like to stick with gault (also because he likes it when I'm a money grubbing ******e)

Edit: I also wanted to say that as a tank I found very little success using my tanking companions, however this could definitely be because they were slightly under geared.

Edited by Monolithic_Hero

I like to use Torian as a shield tech. I have outfitted him and myself with fully customizable gear. I take out my old customizations and put them in his gear whenever I buy upgrades with my commendations. Makes keeping him geared really easy because he uses the same stats as me for the most part.

I do usually have to pull Mako out for tough elites or bosses though because I need the healing.

I'd say pick two and keep them pretty well geared, if you're a DPS pick a healer and a tank, if you're a tank pick a DPS and a heal, if you're a healer pick a DPS and a tank...you get the picture.

Going with Gault and Mako isn't a bad idea because they use the same stats and armor type so you can just keep one gear set for both of them and switch it out when you use either one(beside the weapon of course).

Like others have said though, I wouldn't suggest a tanking companion for a tank character. He likes to taunt off you nullifying your shield heat vents and doesn't do as much damage as the others.

TL;DR version:

Since you're a shieldtech, keep Mako geared for boss fights and use either Torian or Gault(personal preference) for regular questing/leveling depending on which you find easier to gear or like the feel of.

Edited by TeejayMac

I completely agree with the posts above, the only thing worth mentioning is that it's quite hard to find a technostaff replacements for Torian as you level up. Obviously, companion's dps suffers if they have obsolete weapons. Therefore as shieldtech I run around with fully pimped out Gault. With DPS builds (AP/Pyro) I prefer Mako's healing as I kill stuff faster than I would be with DPS companion, when taking into account additional time spent kiting and recovering after fight.

If anyone had any luck locating a moddable technostaff (mayhaps craftables?), I'd appreciate any tips on where to acquire that.

as shieldtech, my two preferred are:

torian for most questing/trash. he hits damned hard, good dps, good ae's.

mako for anything high lvl/difficult, because pocket healer for me = i don't die...

i WISH i could use blizz more, but he's mostly suited for tanking, even if you toggle off certain abilities for him and give him more +aim gear etc. he's so cute, though.

gault was ok for dps, but i prefer torian a ton. i'm light side, though, and gault's hard for me to please.

as shieldtech, my two preferred are:

torian for most questing/trash. he hits damned hard, good dps, good ae's.

For Torian, which stance do you use with him that you find most effective: Perforation or Exsanguination?

I agree with what's been said here already. I'm Shield Tech and prefer Mako most of the time, just because I can solo everything this game has thrown at me with her properly geared. However, I like to use Torian because he also rocks and can use my old hand-me-down gear. He really adds some much needed DPS to a full-tanking spec.

The major problem with him though is that stupid Techstaff weapon. I have yet to see one on the GTN, and haven't come across an orange comm version either.

Edited by TheronFett

For Torian, which stance do you use with him that you find most effective: Perforation or Exsanguination?

i've never figured that out, dude.. the only thing i can come up with is:

armor pen for faster fights, exsanguination for elites?

I agree with what's been said here already. I'm Shield Tech and prefer Mako most of the time, just because I can solo everything this game has thrown at me with her properly geared. However, I like to use Torian because he also rocks and can use my old hand-me-down gear. He really adds some much needed DPS to a full-tanking spec.

The major problem with him though is that stupid Techstaff weapon. I have yet to see one on the GTN, and haven't come across an orange comm version either.

and yes, everything theron just said ^^^

i haven't found him a new weap, either, but he's perfect for handmedown gear - sometimes greens i find in early 40's are better for him than my blues/purples/oranges tho, cause i mod 'em for more defense