The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I think Disney likes BioWare games

ZaxKai

Is anyone besides me going to address the similarities between the KOTOR games and episode VII? Like a star map that a missing piece had to be collected for leading to a big mostly ocean planet dotted with islands and Kylo Ren's lightsaber design originating from pre-devestation malachor... Now if I didn't know better I would say they were thinking of making KOTOR truly cannon again. And I for one am all for that.

Is anyone besides me going to address the similarities between the KOTOR games and episode VII? Like a star map that a missing piece had to be collected for leading to a big mostly ocean planet dotted with islands and Kylo Ren's lightsaber design originating from pre-devestation malachor... Now if I didn't know better I would say they were thinking of making KOTOR truly cannon again. And I for one am all for that.

Sorry to say it, but so far Disney has pretty much ignored the old Expanded Universe completely. It's a shame to waste over 20 years of best-selling novels and videogames, that could be put on the big screen, or even the small screen. But there you have it.

With the exception of the upcoming Rogue One, which is VERY loosely based on Dark Forces, that is. They're still pretty much ignoring the original tale, and have supplanted it with their own version.

I remember seeing a droid that looks very similar to the Gemini series in The Force Awakens. I don't think Disney will go in depth with TOR because the general public only knows of ABY. (after the battle of Yavin.) However, there may be a few references to TOR here and there.

Personally, i take the position that it still is. Why? Because one of the properties that remained canon after their buy-out of Lucasfilm was the CGI Clone Wars. The last season has, amongst other things, Yoda facing the dark side apparition of Darth Bane. In my mind, this canonizes Bane and anything connected to him. The novels about Bane mention, amongst other things, him using a holocron that possesses the teachings of Darth Revan. So, following the same line of thought as before....

Now, obviously, they won't say one way or the other until they decide to A: make some TV show/film based in the KOTOR era, or B: decide that they want something different for the era and replace it. My personal head-canon is that it does remain canon simply by association. Besides, this takes place 3000 years before the films, and it is the only property still allowed to keep moving forward. 1313 was stopped, and as I understand it, there were other SW properties that a stop was put to. But SWTOR remains.

Personally, i take the position that it still is. Why? Because one of the properties that remained canon after their buy-out of Lucasfilm was the CGI Clone Wars. The last season has, amongst other things, Yoda facing the dark side apparition of Darth Bane. In my mind, this canonizes Bane and anything connected to him. The novels about Bane mention, amongst other things, him using a holocron that possesses the teachings of Darth Revan. So, following the same line of thought as before....

Now, obviously, they won't say one way or the other until they decide to A: make some TV show/film based in the KOTOR era, or B: decide that they want something different for the era and replace it. My personal head-canon is that it does remain canon simply by association. Besides, this takes place 3000 years before the films, and it is the only property still allowed to keep moving forward. 1313 was stopped, and as I understand it, there were other SW properties that a stop was put to. But SWTOR remains.

Disney has outright stated that this game isn't canon. There's the official statement. Not only that but that apparition of Bane? Confirmed by Disney to be no more than an illusion. There are no dark side force ghosts in Disney Canon. Starwars.com which is official disney canon mentions it is ONLY possible to become a force ghost through the light side of the force. Plus while Bane exists that doesn't mean the books and by extension this game exists in Disney Canon. It only means there is a Darth Bane and he created the rule of two. In fact the illusion appearance of him is nothing like the Bane from Legends. Again, let me repeat, they have already stated this game IS not canon. It won't be at some point, it won't be ever, because it goes against Disney's vision of Star Wars.

Again, let me repeat, they have already stated this game IS not canon. It won't be at some point, it won't be ever, because it goes against Disney's vision of Star Wars.

At the same time, it's hard to talk about Disney's visin for the Old Republic era when there's none to speak of whatsoever. When de-canonization happened, we had a lineup of new movies, books and comics to replace old Rebellion and New Republic era stuff. But Diseny had nothing to offer in KOTOR/TOR/Tales of the Jedi place, and continues to have no plans to offer anything.

So no wonder people keep sticking to Legends version and frankly, the longer it goes on with Disney's inaction, the more people will be opposed to rewriting stuff from this period

As for video games - JJ Abrams played KOTORs, Mass Effect etc. Brief look at Star Trek 2009 was enough to see where the visual inspiration came from

Edited by Pietrastor

At the same time, it's hard to talk about Disney's visin for the Old Republic era when there's none to speak of whatsoever. When de-canonization happened, we had a lineup of new movies, books and comics to replace old Rebellion and New Republic era stuff. But Diseny had nothing to offer in KOTOR/TOR/Tales of the Jedi place, and continues to have no plans to offer anything.

So no wonder people keep sticking to Legends version and frankly, the longer it goes on with Disney's inaction, the more people will be opposed to rewriting stuff from this period

As for video games - JJ Abrams played KOTORs, Mass Effect etc. Brief look at Star Trek 2009 was enough to see where the visual inspiration came from

I personally prefer legends over Disney Canon. I merely point out certain things to people who think at some point this game will be made canon as is.

Disney has outright stated that this game isn't canon. There's the official statement. Not only that but that apparition of Bane? Confirmed by Disney to be no more than an illusion. There are no dark side force ghosts in Disney Canon. Starwars.com which is official disney canon mentions it is ONLY possible to become a force ghost through the light side of the force. Plus while Bane exists that doesn't mean the books and by extension this game exists in Disney Canon. It only means there is a Darth Bane and he created the rule of two. In fact the illusion appearance of him is nothing like the Bane from Legends. Again, let me repeat, they have already stated this game IS not canon. It won't be at some point, it won't be ever, because it goes against Disney's vision of Star Wars.

disney's vision of SW is bad, to say the least.