The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Could non force users have some resitance to the force?

adormitul

Let me explain what I mean droid for example are trashed when you use the force like when Mace Windu trowed a driod with the force for about 2 miles. But I never saw jedi do similar things to living people besides Starkiller. Is it harder to dominate a living being with the force then a droid?

I am not saying its impossible but is it harder?

Let me explain what I mean droid for example are trashed when you use the force like when Mace Windu trowed a driod with the force for about 2 miles. But I never saw jedi do similar things to living people besides Starkiller. Is it harder to dominate a living being with the force then a droid?

I am not saying its impossible but is it harder?

It depends. Some Jedi have trouble levitating a person or object for longer periods of time due to the fact that they are heavier. Also, non-Force sensitives can be trained to resist tricks of the mind. So really, it simply depends on the strength of the Sith/Jedi in question. If it was an Acolyte or a Padawan, then absolutely, it would be more difficult. If it was a Sith Lord or a Jedi Master, it would be much easier. Hope this helps.

A droid is different than a living thing, no a Non Force User cannot resist The Force other than Mind Trick. The reason you don't see Jedi throwing people around, is because their morals and training, they don't have the same restraint for a droid because...it's a machine.

Otherwise Force Users shouldn't have any problems with ragdolling a guy as they would a droid. Of course that's if they are trained anyway.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

A droid is different than a non living thing, no a Non Force User cannot resist The Force other than Mind Trick. The reason you don't see Jedi throwing people around, is because their morals and training, they don't have the same restraint for a droid because...it's a machine.

Otherwise Force Users shouldn't have any problems with ragdolling a guy as they would a droid. Of course that's if they are trained anyway.

This exactly. Much like how Samurai Jack chopped up lifeless robots because gore was not allowed for Censorship,

the Jedi likely wouldn't use the force with such...force... against living targets out of a moral standard. Force users can use a variety of levitation, lightning, and other forces against opponents, many of which likely cannot be resisted by organics and droids alike. Droids have no soul, especially the hostile, mass produced Battle Droids, so there is little reason not to toss them around like toys.

Non Force-sensitives can pretty much just be trained to resist Force techniques that affect the mind or probe the mind.

Users such as Sith or even a Jedi could choke, push, lift, or crush sentients with the force, as long as they had the know-how and force strength.

Edited by JediJuliusDavin

This exactly. Much like how Samurai Jack chopped up lifeless robots because gore was not allowed for Censorship,

the Jedi likely wouldn't use the force with such...force... against living targets out of a moral standard. Force users can use a variety of levitation, lightning, and other forces against opponents, many of which likely cannot be resisted by organics and droids alike. Droids have no soul, especially the hostile, mass produced Battle Droids, so there is little reason not to toss them around like toys.

Non Force-sensitives can pretty much just be trained to resist Force techniques that affect the mind or probe the mind. Lifting an organic being would likely only be marginally more difficult than a droid, mostly from weight differences and the person resisting the lift (much like resisting a grapple or resisting kidnap) which would require a bit more focus and willpower than lifting a rock or a simple droid due to the increased complexity.

But users such as Sith or even a Jedi if he willed it and was strong enough could choke, push, lift, or crush sentients with the force, as long as they had the focus, know-how, and force strength.

Lifting an organic being shouldn't be difficult at all considering Jedi train their TK at a molecular based level and can lift 4 of these large replica Muntuur stones for training.

http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/127594/4936945-345.png

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Lifting an organic being shouldn't be difficult at all considering Jedi train their TK at a molecular based level and can lift 4 of these large replica Muntuur stones for training.

http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/127594/4936945-345.png

I was just agreeing with you that Jedi likely don't do it out of a moral concern.

I was also pointing out that lifting a humanoid might be a bit different than a rock or droid, but ultimately it is easily within the scope of a force user just the same.

I was just agreeing with you that Jedi likely don't do it out of a moral concern.

I was also pointing out that lifting a humanoid might be a bit different than a rock or droid, but ultimately it is easily within the scope of a force user just the same.

Noted.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Non force sensitives can train against mind tricks/have strong enough resolve naturally, but since all life exist through the Force it's impossible to resist it. But there's a fun fact: the ysalamiri are a species which naturally project a Force-repellant bubble around themselves, negating all Force powers. And the more are together, the bigger this bubble is. If you have enough living ysalamiri with you, not even Vitiate or Sidious can do anything to you, Force powers simply not work in their bubble. Not exactly the resistence the OP asked, but close.

Non force sensitives can train against mind tricks/have strong enough resolve naturally, but since all life exist through the Force it's impossible to resist it.

Did Watto really train it ? Or Jabba ? I had always thought that this was their species' innate abilities ...

And Tom Bombadil couldn't get affected by The Ring, after all ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Since most of the sources we had on how to resist Force powers came from Legends material (KotOR 2 being a big one) we don't really have much to go on resisting the Force.

Cad Bane and Jabba were able to resist Jedi mind tricks through sheer willpower, though Cad spoke of his own will from the torture the 3 Masters put on him.

KotOR 2 (non-canon) established the best way to resist Force powers was to simply avoid detection by manipulating your own emotions to become background noise and thus become invisible to Jedi detection. Misleading thoughts and memorizing patterns that you can easily repeat also make it difficult to discern what you are really thinking. But Atton was specially trained in this sort of technique (and was later revealed to be Force Sensitive himself) and even he couldn't stop Traya when she focused enough.

So yes, you can 'resist' the Force to an extent. But the best defense is to simply not be around Force users ever or to avoid their notice.

Since most of the sources we had on how to resist Force powers came from Legends material (KotOR 2 being a big one) we don't really have much to go on resisting the Force.

Cad Bane and Jabba were able to resist Jedi mind tricks through sheer willpower, though Cad spoke of his own will from the torture the 3 Masters put on him.

KotOR 2 (non-canon) established the best way to resist Force powers was to simply avoid detection by manipulating your own emotions to become background noise and thus become invisible to Jedi detection. Misleading thoughts and memorizing patterns that you can easily repeat also make it difficult to discern what you are really thinking. But Atton was specially trained in this sort of technique (and was later revealed to be Force Sensitive himself) and even he couldn't stop Traya when she focused enough.

So yes, you can 'resist' the Force to an extent. But the best defense is to simply not be around Force users ever or to avoid their notice.

Even so while you can resist mental manipulation there is no way to resist telekinetic abilities.

• 3 months later...

It would appear in the new canon that you can resist a telekinetic ability. Not really clear how, but in this video at 0:49 you see the Trandoshan brace itself in some manner and completely ignore Ahsoka's force push.

Or she...misses. Idk. Can one "miss" with a telekinetic ability?

Not really clear how, or why, but it's there

Video:

Edited by KainrycKarr

It would appear in the new canon that you can resist a telekinetic ability. Not really clear how, but in this video at 0:49 you see the Trandoshan brace itself in some manner and completely ignore Ahsoka's force push.

Or she...misses. Idk. Can one "miss" with a telekinetic ability?

Not really clear how, or why, but it's there

Video:

Simple enough, Ahsoka applied X pounds of force to the trandoshan, but that wasn't enough.

telekinesis is, by definition "force at a distance"

So you can use all the usual methods of resisting force, like widening your stance etc.

Of course, no amount effort will save you if you are hit with the force of a battering ram.

Yoda likes to say "size matters not" in regards to the Force, and it is likely true on a cosmic level, but how much physical force a Force User can apply certainly is limited by various factors (skill, talent, etc).

I watched the video and while he did resisted the first force push he failed to resist the other 2. Granted if he had is claws on the ground and he will have been in the position he might have resisted those also but he did not.

By the way you can miss with a TK as Arcann missed with a force push the Outlander as it was dodged. But not in the case of Ashoka and the Trandoshan he resisted it.

Edited by adormitul

Hutts and Toydarians (remember Watto?) are biologically immune to Force mind tricks. There are some characters in Star Wars that have trained to resist them. Some organizations like the Mandalorians and other such groups train to resist mind tricks.

There are exceptions as well. The training isn't fool proof. In KoTOR, there was a Hutt in the Lower City (I hope I am not mistaken) that you could apply a Force mind trick to. It was either him or the Hutt that ran the swoop track on Tatooine that could be tricked.

My opinion (strictly that, mine) is that Hutts get way too arrogant over time, when dealing with the rabble of the galaxy, to the point of letting down their guard. It has been said that the Force has an affect on the weak minded. So it is strictly my opinion, that extreme arrogance or overconfidence, letting your guard down, can weaken even a biological immunity to mind tricks.

Hutts and Toydarians (remember Watto?) are biologically immune to Force mind tricks. There are some characters in Star Wars that have trained to resist them. Some organizations like the Mandalorians and other such groups train to resist mind tricks.

There are exceptions as well. The training isn't fool proof. In KoTOR, there was a Hutt in the Lower City (I hope I am not mistaken) that you could apply a Force mind trick to. It was either him or the Hutt that ran the swoop track on Tatooine that could be tricked.

My opinion (strictly that, mine) is that Hutts get way too arrogant over time, when dealing with the rabble of the galaxy, to the point of letting down their guard. It has been said that the Force has an affect on the weak minded. So it is strictly my opinion, that extreme arrogance or overconfidence, letting your guard down, can weaken even a biological immunity to mind tricks.

I'm pretty sure Hutts are born naturally force sensitive, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by cool-dude

More like on Tatooine as you where not a jedi on Taris.