The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Guild name Trademark violation.

TheGayGhost

Hello, i want your opinion if this guild name violates the trademark rule: The DarkSide. If this violates the trademark of the game "You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper." .Each and every name you create might backfire on you, even thought it is in your opinion just a few words set in a way to look cool. I have seen a lot of guild names that actually violates the trademark copyright but since my guild name is just a few words in VOCABULARY that we use daily i cannot see this and will NOT accept it as a trademark if they don't prove me why and if they prove i will CHANGE IT. Edited by TheGayGhost

I Personally think this is too far, if they were so worried about it they would have blocked all various ways the spell their "Sensitive words". I dont think your guild should be affected at all, is not even darkside its darkslde...this is ******** bioware leave it alone stop being *****.

bioware does not go around looking for names. They normally ask for you to change your guild name or character name once they have received a report about it. Probably they reason you have seen other violations is because no one has reported them.

Whether or not you agree with their decision you will still need to change it or they will change it for you. It is their game and you agreed to the TOS before you started playing. Whether or not you read it, you had to check that you did.

And how can you defend yourself if they do not present a proof of the violation? as a trademark i expect sort of proof, it isn't like i used Kylo Ren or something like that, The DarkSide is not a trademark and if it is at least they should have gave a good example of it not give me the same s hit with Mr Pepper or Coca Cola, it is NOT THE SAME!

I was talking to them on email address but seems that works kinda slow. Even so they came with the same thing, mr pepper and coca cola... if it is such a big deal, at least they would have show'd me a proof. I am a Sub and a cartel market buyer and this is the respect i get?

And how can you defend yourself if they do not present a proof of the violation? as a trademark i expect sort of proof, it isn't like i used Kylo Ren or something like that, The DarkSide is not a trademark and if it is at least they should have gave a good example of it not give me the same s hit with Mr Pepper or Coca Cola, it is NOT THE SAME!

Considering it is their game, pretty sure they don't need proof if they want you to change your guild name lol.

I was talking to them on email address but seems that works kinda slow. Even so they came with the same thing, mr pepper and coca cola... if it is such a big deal, at least they would have show'd me a proof. I am a Sub and a cartel market buyer and this is the respect i get?

Once again...just because your a sub, doesnt mean your special and get everything you want.

It is not about being a sub or a f2p, its a about the respect. If someone says that hey you have violated a rule at least they can show you a evidence and if they don't it is exactly the same as if i say hey swtor is a trademark violation and they need to shut down the game...even if i don't have any proof.

Like I said already there is a film by that name that was released in 2013 that may be the cause of the problem. Yes the movie was released in 2013 but they had to go into production sooner and having the name from 2011 when the game launch only means no one reported it to Bioware. They don't go around looking for violations but they will investigate once a report is made.

Most likely someone recognized the name from the movie, and reported it. Bioware probably investigated the situation and then sent you the mail asking you to change the name.

Some people ignore the names or maybe they didn't know it was a movie considering the movie was produced in another country, Australia. I would be wiling to bet someone from that country or someone who actually saw the movie reported it.

But you wanted proof of the trademark violation, which you could have researched yourself, such as I did, and found the reason for the violation.

It is not about being a sub or a f2p, its a about the respect. If someone says that hey you have violated a rule at least they can show you a evidence and if they don't it is exactly the same as if i say hey swtor is a trademark violation and they need to shut down the game...even if i don't have any proof.

The difference is this is not your game, it is theirs. They can do whatever they want with it, and enforce whatever naming rules they want.