Complete revamp of the character select screen

UTlNNl

In short, the character select screen could (and should) be vastly improved. I did a quick mock-up of what it could potentially be. It's cobbled together and I didn't want to spend the time to make it completely pretty, but it gets the idea across.

http://i.imgur.com/HuyrZqI.png

And a second for a more visible experience bar and low level stuff (some stuff is missing, i know. took a while to throw together as it was)

http://i.imgur.com/jPDVDWe.png

The additions from current:

• Sort characters by level
  • Sort characters by recently used
  • Sort characters by rested experience (by calculating the current percentage of accumulated rested experience out of the total possible). This is the main thing I would like to see added.
  • Visible gear
  • Visible stats
  • Visible experience bar
  • Visible alignment
  • Visible Social
  • Visible Valor
  • More character buttons on the page. I fit 10 comfortably on the first (more complete) image- which would bring down the total number of pages of characters to 4 when maxed out., and evenly distributed.

Other potential stuff I didn't include but should also be shown:

• Number of unread mail
  • Credits
  • Visible crew skills
  • Visible rested experience percentage/amount
  • Highest KOTFE chapter completion (1-16)
  • Highest 1-50 story chapter completion (1-3)

Let me know if there's anything else that should be there, or if this is a completely stupid idea.

EDIT: looks like this was nothing new. Added a bunch of other peoples' ideas from other threads

Edited by UTlNNl

We've been throwing around ideas and stuff for more info on the selection screen. Here's as far as we've gotten:

Character Menu Fan Project v2

Although I should adjust it a little so it looks more like the new screen we've got. I'll do that once I'm done playing through the new content on at least one character.

Original thread can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=824393&highlight=character+screen

I like your ideas. It would be great to not have to have such a detailed spreadsheet to view the basic info for all of my characters. Anyone with more than a few characters can appreciate how frustrating it can be not knowing how many credits each one has or what crafting/gathering skill they use.

My biggest change would be to either show ALL of my characters on ONE screen or make a scroller or make them sortable name or level and nost just last-played cuz turning 4 pages suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Edited by PetFish

I like your mock-up, but the character portrait I don't agree with your choice on. I think there's something very KOTOR about the choice of the portrait being a cinematic close-up. Making it typical MMO full-body zoom-out takes away from that, IMO.

• Highest KOTFE chapter completion (1-16)
  • Highest 1-50 story chapter completion (1-3)

This could start to get very in-depth if we start getting into seeing some sort of checklist of completed story arc flags.

It's not just the original class stories and the current KotFE line. We've also got Ilum, Makeb (aka "chapter 4" of original story), Oricon, Forged Alliances, Shadow of Revan (aka "chapter 5" of original story), Ziost, possibly the main planetary stories (and also the "bonus series") for each of the under-50 planets, and maybe the bookend missions for all the various flashpoints and operations as well.

There may also be conditional considerations for what is displayed and how it's displayed? Like for a character that hasn't started KotFE maybe you'd also want indicators of how far they are in each companion story. But after they start KotFE and can't go back to finish unfinished companion stories, that information could be suppressed.

The field would also have to be flexible enough to accommodate the addition of future story indicators, like for the "KotFE season 2" that they've oh so briefly mentioned a few times.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

> Source

https://i.imgur.com/wkjnPfZ.jpg

> My version

https://imgur.com/a/52mKQkD

----------

> The classes are in this specific order every page

> 8 characters / page

> It displays the basic information about them, such as LVL., Advanced Class, Discipline etc...

> It also displays some more extra information

> Incase of "Guild", "Friends" and "Mail", the "???" meant to represent if any guildmate or friend is online, if there's any mail. If not, it shows zero.

> Displaying the credits that the specific character has on him / her

> The fields also display the faction insignia on the right as of now too. Class icon on left, insignia on right.

> Under the Character List, there's the "Create Character" button, with displaying any LVL. 60 / 65 token.

> Under the "Create Character" button, there's the "Page ? / ?" section (there's never any ampty page). Displaying the number of characters on the server, and the inactive characters.

> I believe it's really unneeded to have two "Play" buttons. I think having the button next to a selected character is all enough. The button at the bottom should be the "Delete Character" button. But it's only my opinion.

> Finally, the area that displays the status of the player. If a player is a SUB, be real or just REF link, for example it would state:

"You are a SUBSCRIBER

Remaining days: 25"