The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Black and Black dye

Yea. Mine. I don't use black/black on any of my imp toons. I prefer black/purple instead of the black/black and I have 4-5 imp toons none of them with black/black on any of the 16 outfits they all have.

The only black/black dye I have came from a cantina crate and was put on a legacy bound item so as not to "waste" it - funnily enough, I no longer actually even use that item.

I'm fine finding alternatives due to the rarity/price of the black/black, white/white etc. They would have to be heavily discounted and probably unlockable in Collections for me to even bother with it.

If they thought they could make more money by selling them more cheaply and/or regularly, they'd be doing it already. One can always hope though.

• 8 months later...

Of course there will always be demand for the "cooler", or indeed, the more aesthetically harmonious colours, so naturally the GTN price for, say, black/black, or black/dark red etc is going to be rather higher than that ghastly pink and yellow combination that seems tailor made for the new "Sith Lounge Lizard" and "Jedi Chav" classes, but no one else - but sensibly, since that weighting already exists, Bioware' s availability ought to be tuned to counterbalance it, not reinforce it. Have the desirable colours be available, and let the... more unusual combinations accrue the rarity value.

"I'm the only Sith in this village with sky blue pink armour and lime green highlights!"

"Really? How... nice for you."

Of course, appearance is totally subjective, and the player who longs to play an Ortolon Jedi with a sheer lime bodystocking, leopardskin mankini, and yellow/pink lightsaber crystal's aesthetic sense is no less valid than mine... but numbers mount up, and so with the current weightings of colour availability, the more... outré commonly available dye colours frequently amount to little more than GTN clutter and time sink for the crafters trying to get them off their hands.

Edited by RowanThursday

I have seen the black/white and white/black pop up periodically on the CM, and I think twice in the last year the black/black and white/white ones. Honestly they need to come up with a better way to customize colors, the dye packs are kind of silly and have some downright fugly combo's.

I just use dark grey or whatever. It looks close enough and is pretty cheap.

From playing around, I've found going with the darkest possible grey for black and the lightest possible grey for white tends to work out very well with how the lighting is in game. While it's not the exact same as using a black or white dye pack, it works good enough for me at least.

• 2 months later...

Bioware, bubbie, lets talk business.

EA likes money, right? Money helps the game, right? So why in the bloody hell are you not capitalizing on the Black/Black dye? You can say that it affects the player economy, but I say to hell with the rich and greedy.

This needs to be either a monthly special, like the thread starter stated, OR, and this may sound just a wee bit crazy.........

you make it a permanent cartel market item at 1000 coins.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "1000 coins? That's not twenty dollars!". Well, that's the point.

What are you going to make more money from? A $20 dye that is available sporadically, or the same dye priced at $10 that can be bought by anyone, at any time? Well, I can't be certain, and I'm sure as hell no financial genius, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be latter.

I hate the idea of paying money for a consumable item. I reeaaaallly do. I would MUCH rather see all dyes converted to a crafting skill or a collection system. Same with the majority of decorations. But I understand that the game is fueled by money, and this is a good way to rake some in. I actually need anywhere from 3 to 4 Black/Black dyes, at the moment, and I can say with a good amount of certainty that if you released the dye tomorrow for any amount over 10, I would be unlikely to buy more than one, if any. But if you were to charge a.....well, I guess we'll reluctantly call it a "reasonable price". If you charged a "reasonable price" and kept it available, over time, I would end up spending more money on it than I would if you stuck to your current system. But hey, that's just me.

You really need to consider your options here, because the scam you're running now......it ain't workin.

Bioware, bubbie, lets talk business.

EA likes money, right? Money helps the game, right? So why in the bloody hell are you not capitalizing on the Black/Black dye? You can say that it affects the player economy, but I say to hell with the rich and greedy.

This needs to be either a monthly special, like the thread starter stated, OR, and this may sound just a wee bit crazy.........

you make it a permanent cartel market item at 1000 coins.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "1000 coins? That's not twenty dollars!". Well, that's the point.

What are you going to make more money from? A $20 dye that is available sporadically, or the same dye priced at $10 that can be bought by anyone, at any time? Well, I can't be certain, and I'm sure as hell no financial genius, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be latter.

I hate the idea of paying money for a consumable item. I reeaaaallly do. I would MUCH rather see all dyes converted to a crafting skill or a collection system. Same with the majority of decorations. But I understand that the game is fueled by money, and this is a good way to rake some in. I actually need anywhere from 3 to 4 Black/Black dyes, at the moment, and I can say with a good amount of certainty that if you released the dye tomorrow for any amount over 10, I would be unlikely to buy more than one, if any. But if you were to charge a.....well, I guess we'll reluctantly call it a "reasonable price". If you charged a "reasonable price" and kept it available, over time, I would end up spending more money on it than I would if you stuck to your current system. But hey, that's just me.

You really need to consider your options here, because the scam you're running now......it ain't workin.

Actually, I'd say that they see more CM revenue by keeping the black/black dye rare and expensive. Don't forget the power of the "speculator". Some people buy lots of the black/clack when they are available then sell them a little at a time. Even if it takes that person a while to sell those dyes, or that person doesn't sell those dyes for the price he expected to get, BW already got their revenue.

Remember, as well, the power of "impulse buying". Get it now while you can, or it may be a long time before it is available again, if it even is ever available again. While some people may not "fall for that tripe", there are plenty of people that will "buy it now", even if they suffer from buyer's remorse later.

It's the same concept with any "limited" item, even if some people feel that limit is "artificially and arbitrarily imposed". Why would any company make any "limited edition" items if they thought they could make more money by having those items constantly and cheaply available? Yet, you see "limited edition" items in games and in real life all the time.

If BW thought they would see more revenue if they made the black/black dye cheap and always available, don't you think they would do that?

If BW thought they would see more revenue if they made the black/black dye cheap and always available, don't you think they would do that?

No, no I do not. All game developers, be it Blizzard, Bioware, or Ubisoft, have made many decisions that baffle their fans and other financial supporters. Granted, we are just players and are left out of all the fine details behind the decision making, but sometimes, things just don't make sense.

You could be right, but, then again, so could I, either way I'd recommend not putting too much faith in the competence of video game marketing.

Regardless which is a better business strategy, restricting such very important dyes is a huge hit to player morale.

It limits customization. Many players burn out in their attempt to gather the credits to purchase them with game currency. Missing a sale can put you behind on character progress for months. Being a subscriber and still having to shell out 20 bucks (providing you haven't saved up) is insulting. And, to top it all off, it's a one use item.

I don't care what their reason is. Less money, more money, I don't care, I just know that it hits the players in a very sensitive spot. Our shriveled up little coin purses.

No, no I do not. All game developers, be it Blizzard, Bioware, or Ubisoft, have made many decisions that baffle their fans and other financial supporters. Granted, we are just players and are left out of all the fine details behind the decision making, but sometimes, things just don't make sense.

You could be right, but, then again, so could I, either way I'd recommend not putting too much faith in the competence of video game marketing.

Regardless which is a better business strategy, restricting such very important dyes is a huge hit to player morale.

It limits customization. Many players burn out in their attempt to gather the credits to purchase them with game currency. Missing a sale can put you behind on character progress for months. Being a subscriber and still having to shell out 20 bucks (providing you haven't saved up) is insulting. And, to top it all off, it's a one use item.

I don't care what their reason is. Less money, more money, I don't care, I just know that it hits the players in a very sensitive spot. Our shriveled up little coin purses.

The dyes are cosmetic, hardly "very important", IMO. That is only MY opinion. Your opinion may vary.

The black/dark gray dye is not as expensive, and while it is not black/black, many find it to be a more than acceptable option.

White/light (?) gray is the equivalent for the white/white dye.