How to run Star Wars 64 bit

SpikeRosered

The choice between 32 and 64 bit is chosen by the developers when they compile the executable. In order to be compatible with all computers and operating systems, they would have to include code for both versions in the download and DVD, which would make the install process that much bigger and take that much longer.

There is no practical reason at this point to need to be 64 bit, as the limitations of 32 bit programs can easily be worked around (things like memory limits).

Edited by baconflavored

• 1 year later...
I have Windows 64 bit, but whenever I run Star Wars it seems to run as a 32 bit program, can you run it as a 64 bit version?

No they do not as of yet I guess everyone is just ignorant to the fact that 32 bit systems are no more because 64 bit systems are easier and run more smoother then the choppy 32 bit systems by the time Bioware/EA figures this out it will be too late and they will Disney to thank for that one. I would love to see 64 bit version of SWTOR it really isn't that much more coding that need for 64 bit version but that is a make or break stand point for some people to play games.

No they do not as of yet I guess everyone is just ignorant to the fact that 32 bit systems are no more because 64 bit systems are easier and run more smoother then the choppy 32 bit systems by the time Bioware/EA figures this out it will be too late and they will Disney to thank for that one. I would love to see 64 bit version of SWTOR it really isn't that much more coding that need for 64 bit version but that is a make or break stand point for some people to play games.

Not a big fan of EA, but I have to defend them here: What? why do you blame them for making a 32-bit game. EVERY SINGLE PC game that I have ever played, except for Hellgate: London have been 32 bit. That was the only game that had a 64 bit version. And ofc they would make all games 32 bit, because 32 bit program works on both 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. But you can't run 64 bit software on 32 bit OS.

If they would decide ever add more compatibility to the game they would add Mac support, instead of 64 bit version. They would gain more profit that way.

Edited by Aelther

Not a big fan of EA, but I have to defend them here: What? why do you blame them for making a 32-bit game. EVERY SINGLE PC game that I have ever played, except for Hellgate: London have been 32 bit. That was the only game that had a 64 bit version. And ofc they would make all games 32 bit, because 32 bit program works on both 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. But you can't run 64 bit software on 32 bit OS.

If they would decide ever add more compatibility to the game they would add Mac support, instead of 64 bit version. They would gain more profit that way.

World of Warcraft has a 64 bit client that works really good.

World of Warcraft has a 64 bit client that works really good.

Well WoW also works on Mac, so I'm saying you will see (if they ever decide to do anything in the first place) Mac support before you will see a 64 bit version.

And don't get me wrong I'd love to see a 64 bit version, but I highly doubt we'll get one.

Edited by Aelther

But...but...why not Linux support, I mean it has a bigger market share than Windows 8.....come to think of it, Linux's market share is only 6.5% lower than OSX. With Steam adding Linux support, maybe it's time developers start looking at native support for the penguin in addition to OSX.

You can't. Majority of players are still on 32 bit machines so they'd waste resources to make it 64 bit.

Only in the sense that they're using 32-bit Windows XP, then. The CPUs listed under minimum requirements for SWTOR are 64-bit, so I doubt you'll find that many trying to run it with a 32-bit CPU.

Only in the sense that they're using 32-bit Windows XP, then. The CPUs listed under minimum requirements for SWTOR are 64-bit, so I doubt you'll find that many trying to run it with a 32-bit CPU.

Hey, there are still many 32-bit outhere ! My desktop is a 32-Vista, and my laptop a 32-Seven.

In my country it's not so long ago they started selling 64-bit machines... it began somewhere in the middle of Win-Seven's age. The only 64-bit computers running before were custom-made.