Posting your Refer a Friend code in chat for creds

RubyRiver

So do a lot of people- I used them, twice- once when I wasn't budgeted to re-sub for a while but wanted to play as a sub and once, after I requested it, knowing they'd get rewards. The best time was the period as Preferred when I really needed those seven days and that link got me what I needed, no strings attached. You can advertise, but don't think people won't call visibly one sided referral spam on general chat 'where everybody can see it'.

The referral system was made to bring new players to the game and get them to sub, not net current subs because they've never clicked a link.

For 2m credit you can buy lightsaber, mount and some other cool stuff like artifact upgrades on lvl 1. Then youre having a blast in the game and feel the power. From personal experience those people come back to the game each day too look at their aesome character and are more eager to sub more and play more often. This is also good for the game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 2m credit you can buy lightsaber, mount and some other cool stuff like artifact upgrades on lvl 1. Then youre having a blast in the game and feel the power. From personal experience those people come back to the game each day too look at their aesome character and are more eager to sub more and play more often. This is also good for the game.

I don't mind people getting paid two million credits- it's when people try and spam free clicks or some extreme lowball while spruiking the click benefits. I was having a blast because I'm an RPG geek and a Star Wars fan since I was seven and on Coruscant... the normal progression stuff was rocking my socks off anyway. Frell, I used to pick those green armourings without thinking than the crystals on the mission reward choice.

All the outfits looked cool- I was fixated with my lightsaber... still am, I'm the dork flourishing her lightsaber(s) at level cap... it's the one weapon I have on an account wide unlock. I chose the best looking bronze lightsaber and went with it.

I really don't mind referrals or people advertising them. It just hurts when you see an obvious scammer or fools calling you crap for advertising. There is also the fact taht most people oferring to pay and oferring to click are scammers and trolls. :/ I think SWTOR really needs some anti-scammer policy and punishments, because at the moment people who scam get away with everything. Naming and shaming with proof should also be allowed.

I nearly always advertise my referral links with my two mains, one of them being in top Guardians on the leaderboards for two seasons now and the other always being a gold juggernaut so it's not like I am using throwaway toons and got anything to hide. If I scam them people will be able to call me out by my mains.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I really don't mind referrals or people advertising them. It just hurts when you see an obvious scammer or fools calling you crap for advertising. There is also the fact taht most people oferring to pay and oferring to click are scammers and trolls. :/ I think SWTOR really needs some anti-scammer policy and punishments, because at the moment people who scam get away with everything. Naming and shaming with proof should also be allowed.

I nearly always advertise my referral links with my two mains, one of them being in top Guardians on the leaderboards for two seasons now and the other always being a gold juggernaut so it's not like I am using throwaway toons and got anything to hide. If I scam them people will be able to call me out by my mains.

As i said most of the haters that comment referal message on general chat have no idea about the system, how it works. They just have to babble some crap they fancy themselves important.

Edited by Bagburga

As i said most of the haters that comment referal message on general chat have no idea about the system, how it works. They just have to babble some crap they fancy themselves important.

I don't mind them on the game chat provided they wait for a while. The posting of one message and then turning around and posting it immediately again gets on my nerves. Even guild recruiting like that shouldn't be done. Give it a respectful time limit (3-5 minutes)

I would have zero objections for some sort of system to be put in place to ensure people clicking the links get their credits, an easy way to do this is arrive at an arbitrary number of credits, say 2 million, that automatically gets taken from the account of the person posting the link and given to the guy clicking the link. It'd need fine tuning as paying 2 million four 100cc in return sucks, (yet I paid the guys the full amount regardless).

People seem to be annoyed at the spam part of it and the "scam" part of it. Spam is spam, it is irrelevant about the content, I've seen people recruiting for heroics, operations, guilds posting every 5 seconds, that is spam. Every 3-5 minutes is fine dependent on the amount of chat going through general. The scam element, trickier, the above system I suggested could solve that issue but the general crux of the matter is it is always at buyers risk, as it is with anything in the game. Despite all the negative feedback about "referral spammers" don't see all that many mentions of people going "I clicked the link give me my money" despite the fact they haven't, one person yelled abuse through general at me for not paying him, I remarked that I'd screen shot the page proving he'd paid nothing and he went quiet. Funny not many people criticising the people abusing us but hell, post a link every now and again, you're suddenly Satan 😂

Lets see.

This is a Copy and Paste.....

Refer a Friend

Invite your friends by sending them the following referral link. Tell your friends to use the link as the first step in creating a new account or logging back in to an existing account. By clicking through the link to create an account or log in, they will be registered as your "Referral." As friends join and become Subscribers, you earn rewards!

I think says it's all......

http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Invite Your Friends

As an active Subscriber, you have a personal referral link to send to your friends!

Refer friends who have never had a SWTOR account.

Invite previous Subscribers who have been unsubscribed for 90 days or more.

Tell your friends to use the link as the first step in creating a new account or logging back in to an existing account. By clicking through the link to create an account or log in, they will be registered as your "Referral."

Now WHERE does it say it's meant to be used for others to PAY in game credits to use it ?.

I for one consider it abuse and ANYONE I find doing it gets a nice little ticket about it too.:D

I for one consider it abuse and ANYONE I find doing it gets a nice little ticket about it too.:D

Yet people wonder why developers don't get around to sorting actual problems, maybe because they have to spend time dealing with erroneous complaints like this. Just put the person on ignore if it offends your delicate sensibilities. Frankly I think reporting them is ridiculous. Maybe you just like being the "white knight" of the game and getting butt hurt on everyones behalf.

Yet people wonder why developers don't get around to sorting actual problems, maybe because they have to spend time dealing with erroneous complaints like this. Just put the person on ignore if it offends your delicate sensibilities. Frankly I think reporting them is ridiculous. Maybe you just like being the "white knight" of the game and getting butt hurt on everyones behalf.

If that is what you belive you should go back and read my history that dates back to 2009 and see that's far from the truth.

There are so many things I disslike that they have done and is about to do too.

So white knight, not even close

I think the key word is "Friend" - Invite your friends by sending them the following referral link. Doesn't say "Pay a random person to click your link".

It's intended to bring more people (i.e. your real world friends, assuming you have any) into the game, not as a way for you to scam CC. Using it in any other way from what it is intended would be considered an exploit (to make use of a situation in a way considered unfair or underhand.) Telling yourself any different is pretty childish. Maybe you're just hoping that if enough other people do it, your own misdemeanours will go unnoticed in the crowd.

This is like defence lawyers trying to find legal loopholes to let their (definitely) guilty clients walk free.

I think the key word is "Friend" - Invite your friends by sending them the following referral link. Doesn't say "Pay a random person to click your link".

It's intended to bring more people (i.e. your real world friends, assuming you have any) into the game, not as a way for you to scam CC. Using it in any other way from what it is intended would be considered an exploit (to make use of a situation in a way considered unfair or underhand.) Telling yourself any different is pretty childish. Maybe you're just hoping that if enough other people do it, your own misdemeanours will go unnoticed in the crowd.

This is like defence lawyers trying to find legal loopholes to let their (definitely) guilty clients walk free.

So because you disagree with a point of view that means the point of view of the other person is childish? That's fantastic, I'm glad that the "because I said so" argument still exists here, but for those that won't take your word for it, care to source it? I'd love for you to produce evidence of this "exploit".

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen at least 2 people banned for it and they should be. It's spam.

You can't get banned for spam unless contents of the message is breaking TOS, like selling credits or explicit language. Worst that can happen is a squelch.

Advertising referral links for credits is just the same as any other trade / recruitment / lfg message. You may want to recheck definition of spam and just stop being over people having a way to get more cartel coins. You have no proof or a way to track when someone was banned for advertising referrals.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

• 3 months later...
It's not "a lot of people", not even close, and I personally have many on my "friends" list with a "Referral Spammer / Reported On <date>" comment that are never on anymore and it's too much of a coincidence to say all of them "probably uninstalled or deleted that character".

If it *were* allowed you'd see it a lot more referral spam in chat, and just like you can't spam your referral links here, they're only allowed in your signature. And people know it's not allowed which is probably why on Harbinger I haven't actually seen a referral spammer in probably a month.

I actually think referral spammers are worse than credit farmers since they are real people preying on others that don't know any better by pretending that "you get so many goodies" but always conveniently leaving out the fact that they are the ones who *really* benefit from the referral. Bots are bots and they don't know any better but referral spammers will sweet-talk people into falling for their scam.

There has been one referral spammer on Drummond Kaas, lately. It makes no difference what time I am on DK doing those heroics, there he is spamming chat offering a measly 2 million for current subscribers who have never used a a referral link to use his. I have taken to pointing out that he is the one who really benefits by pointing out all that he gets for "Johnny" using his referral link and that the use of a referral link is worth for more than a measly 2 million credits.

He also uses a macro, which is against the TOS, so he's running a double risk.

• 1 year later...
I’ve offered credits for people to follow my link several times in chat, for collection unlock reasons, never been banned or notified of misconduct. I will say I don’t post my link until an exchange is set up and that’s through whispers. Edited by AceMasterSoul

I’ve offered credits for people to follow my link several times in chat, for collection unlock reasons, never been banned or notified of misconduct. I will say I don’t post my link until an exchange is set up and that’s through whispers.

Same here, mostly because of the unlocks and nobody clicked on my ref. link on forums, like ever.