Sentinel - Watchman

The_Sponge

Ok first off I want to say that I play a sentinel, im currently level 40, I kick butt in both pve and pvp so this is not a "Sent is broken" thread, so don't turn it into one.

Down to business here, the watchman skill tree imo is 99% useless I can not see anyone going full watchman over the other 2 trees for any reason, so here is a suggestion that I would really really like to see BW take seriously.

Scrap the watchman tree completely, still call it watchman, but make it a defensive tree and fill it with dodge and parry maybe a little health increase and a little armor increase, add a new form based on avoiding damage then throw in 2 taunts and give the sentinel evasion tanking as a dedicated role (as well as dps)

Evasion tanking imho still fits with the sentinel style of a light saber expert and doesn't intrude on any other tanking class by taking something away from it as evasion tanking would be unique.

Now I know that to keep balance and mirror classes that the marauder would need to be changed and also likely the other pure DPS non force classes and I haven't looked at their skill trees and have no idea if it would be viable for them, plus I have no experience playing them, so if anyone who has played them could comment, I'd like to hear your opinions.

~Sponge

Ok first off I want to say that I play a sentinel, im currently level 40, I kick butt in both pve and pvp so this is not a "Sent is broken" thread, so don't turn it into one.

Down to business here, the watchman skill tree imo is 99% useless I can not see anyone going full watchman over the other 2 trees for any reason, so here is a suggestion that I would really really like to see BW take seriously.

Scrap the watchman tree completely, still call it watchman, but make it a defensive tree and fill it with dodge and parry maybe a little health increase and a little armor increase, add a new form based on avoiding damage then throw in 2 taunts and give the sentinel evasion tanking as a dedicated role (as well as dps)

Evasion tanking imho still fits with the sentinel style of a light saber expert and doesn't intrude on any other tanking class by taking something away from it as evasion tanking would be unique.

Now I know that to keep balance and mirror classes that the marauder would need to be changed and also likely the other pure DPS non force classes and I haven't looked at their skill trees and have no idea if it would be viable for them, plus I have no experience playing them, so if anyone who has played them could comment, I'd like to hear your opinions.

~Sponge

Not a "sent is broken thread" start with "watchman is 99% useless". That'll go far.

Watchman is not useless, it's extremely focused on doing one thing well - damage over time. When raiding is more common is when Watchman will prove its metal as all that dot damage and some raid utility from heals will be gdlk.

Lorewise Watchman becoming the tanky/offtanky spec doesn't make much sense. If anything focus should be the more "defensive" tree if one were to be redrawn the way you've suggested. Focus specializes in Sho-Chii which is a more balanced form. Ataru and Juyo are both fairly aggressive. Ataru is very acrobatic so you can make an argument for them being the evasion types, but Juyo is fairly lightsaber to face.

~Sponge

Watchman is not useless. What game are you even playing?

Watchman is not useless, it's extremely focused on doing one thing well - damage over time. When raiding is more common is when Watchman will prove its metal as all that dot damage and some raid utility from heals will be gdlk.

Would just like to add, the DoTs from Watchman are very fast acting. A 6 second dot is pretty quick damage, doubly so when you can use Cauterize + Overload Saber. That coupled with Zen ends up being some pretty nasty burst.

Not to mention, it heals you.

People (I was one of them) have the idea that the "DoTs" are your traditional 20sec+ kind of thing, when really, they are very quick acting and provide great pressure in PvP, particularly on healers.

So you want to scrap the one tree Sentinel has that's actually really damn good?

If I wanted to tank I would have chosen Guardian. I chose Sentinel to do kick *** DPS and as Watchman, that's what I do.

this. I can't tell if the OP is trolling or not... and clearly hasn't actually played Watchman.

One can argue a tree vs a tree is better by lvl 50 and PvE vs PVE, some will prefer combat for example but seriously just saying Watchman is completely useless and should be scrapped without even really knowing it just sounds like trolling. I wouldn't say that about any tree.

It's the most well-rounded tree Sent has imo at least earlier on. So yeah lets scrap it... lol. I admit I was tentative about it by looking at, I thought it sucked honestly, BUT THEN I kept reading about ppl praising it and decided to try it and never looked back... you really need to try it to really see how much dps it can do and how the DoTs are really great and the healing from it's zen tho seemingly small really does make a difference, even that small.

Edited by ErisktheRed

The watchman tree in my experience is amazingly good in both pve and pvp. I can't imagine playing as sentinel using the other trees. I rolled a sentinel for dealing damage, not tanking. We don't need another tank AC.

I honestly think you should give watchman another go as if you consider the tree 99% useless you wete doing something very wrong.

• 3 weeks later...