Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

It's easy to make an MMO, why are some Devs so blind?

Gankdalf_

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. No instancing? How would you accommodate lag when there's 600+ people in one instance?

2. No thanks, instant teleport is awesome. You can walk if you'd like but I don't like wasting 5~ minutes to go somewhere, reality or virtually.

3. There is already many opportunities for open world PvP. What are you talking about?

4. This could be interesting.

5. So let's play a WoW clone with SW skin. Look, I like/liked WoW but SWTOR is unique in its own way. If you don't like it, why don't you play WoW?

6. Haven't played much Rift so I don't know.

7. Same as 6.

8. Vanilla Wow had PLENTY of invisible barriers. It wasn't until Cata that every nook of Azeroth was discoverable.

When you pay a fee to play, you need to feel you belong in the world, you need to be part of it, it's almost your second home. SWTOR feels more like a chore than a exciting adventure, it's just too linear and too boxed in for me.

How so? Care to explain why it feels boxed in or linear? Better yet, then why don't you just go free-to-play if you don't want to pay?

If someone gave me £130 million and said make a SW MMO I would have done this:

1. Make all planets seamless, no instancing at all. If you have to queue for a mob to spawn tough luck, get over it as these things happen when a mmo is launched. The world would be totally free, you can go where ever you like, it would be just like in the film, hop on your speeder and explore.

2. There would be a LFG facility but you would not be allowed to teleport to your flashpoint, you have to make your own way there to keep the game as realistic as possible.

3. From level 20 - 50 on there would be plot crossovers so meeting the enemy faction will happen very often when you quest. You would be rewarded for killing enemy players and even get quests to take out their leaders. Yes ganking would happen, roll PvE if you can't cope.

4. All towns would be protected by NPC guards but they would not respawn quickly and certainly not in HUGE numbers, towns would NOT be capturable but you could bring your entire guild and cause havok in them. The invaded faction would have to rally to expell the invaders.... If you do not like this we would have PvE servers.

5. I would copy the UI from WOW, it works and is excellent.

6. Priority would be given to crafting and the AH, I would copy from Rift.

7. World events and world quests like in Rift would be on every planet to make teaming up an attractive option.

8. Level design would be taken from WOW, love it or hate it that game has some awesome designed levels. A mix of very open terrain but with the odd choke point added for ambushes. Loads of life, small towns and HUGE Cities and the odd little outpost. No invisible barriers.

When you pay a fee to play, you need to feel you belong in the world, you need to be part of it, it's almost your second home. SWTOR feels more like a chore than a exciting adventure, it's just too linear and too boxed in for me.

it all makes sense, and I bet in hindsight some devs would agree sith you.

Can't really claim making a MMO as *easy* when the vast majority of the ideas are recycled, particularly points 1, 3, 4. 6, 7 and 8. In fact it would have been easier if the OP had just said "make it like the original (pre-SoL) EQ but with the AH and LFG tool additions".

No thanks, I played EQ for 4 years and very much had my fill of those old school PITA features.