So why are former maxed affection companions

slim_shady

Huh? Sorry, You're a bit confused if you thought that I had thought the old 10k affection would magically get converted into 250k influence at some point (especially so many months after the cap was raised). I didn't gain or lose anything. I didn't expect to gain or lose anything. I'm pretty sure that I didn't even imply that I thought I was going to gain or lose anything.

The wonky business that I saw was that weird little message at the start about it supposedly suddenly adding 10k influence to make her rank 10 when it shouldn't have needed to do anything like that because she already had 10k influence from before 4.0 / before KotFE and wasalready rank 10 from that. The game did something weird there which kind of makes it seem as if somebody who isn't coincidentally at precisely 10k influence beforehand will gain or lose something at that point. It made it look as if the game just resets them and defaults them to an even 10k regardless of what it had been before.

And I don't recall any other companions that I've had characters reunite with so far in any other chapters or in any of the recruitment alerts come up with that same message. I only saw it with Vette. So that also contributes to the "this seems buggy" vibe.

Errr...What conversion would be happening there, exactly?

All of the old companions were "converted" in patch 4.0 from a system that was capped at 10k to a system that is capped at 250k. (Which shouldn't have actually changed how the data was stored in any way. All it changes is the maxValue constant that's checked against to make sure that the value never gets set higher than intended. The values themselves remained untouched. (Side note relating to the response to Eanelinea: The influence rank display was a brand new feature which displays an abstraction of the stored value. We didn't have anything like that before 4.0. We only had the affection value.) Anyway, several months later when starting the newest KotFE chapter there should not be anything that still needed to be converted. Vette was already set up for the new system, even if I hadn't been using her in that time.

Hmm... I don't recall any messages like this when 4.0 hit either... Although there was a lot of chaos in the 4.0 companion conversions with them dumping all of their gear into your inventory and mail. So someone could have been too caught up in all of that to notice something like this buried in with the usual login announcements. (stronghold keys, results from companions returning from crew skills, and whatever else.) Well, if that is when it was supposed to be seen, there's definitely no reason to see it for one character at the start of a KotFE chapter.

That message pops for everyone who originally had that companion. It's just letting you know 'hey we know your Vette/Gault was rank 10 before you entered kotfe, so we're letting you know Vette/Gault is rank 10 again'. That's all that means. You'd have seen the same thing if you had gotten Vette/Gault to rank 50 before stepping foot into kotfe and getting them back in Chapter 13. It pops all the time when you get an original companion back via story or alert. I got it on my Warrior when I got Pierce back. Yellow text popped up saying 'Pierce rank 10' or whatever it actually literally says.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part is a bug? You got her to 49, she left and you got her back at 49. What were you expecting?
If she was rank 49 when you began kotfe, and summoned her or got her back in chapter 13 and you didn't get her to rank 50, she stays rank 49.

You dont go into kotfe with a rank 1 companion and get them back at rank 50. You start at rank 10, they come back rank 10. You start at rank 49, they come back rank 49. YOU have to bump her to the next rank, 30, 40, 50 whatever. Bioware doesn't make them rank 1 before kotfe and rank 50 when you go 'oh hi again!' No free ranks. What you begin with is what they come back with.

You both got me wrong. I did not mean "I have the bug", but the fact, you max at some point your companion while summoned by the Odessen terminal, when he is been used as a protagonist in some chapter and later rejoin your toon, the companion has to remain at the same affection you reached before.

Some pople here explained, those toons, who were maxed out, were down to 10 after rejoining. This is not normal, and this is the bug.

A very confused snail and a rock would be a better love story than Twilight.
Well now I'm confused. I thought Twilight was a love story about a confused snail and a rock. Or maybe that was just how the acting made it seem. :confused:

This is not correct. It has to be a bug.

Since the release of KotFE my main companion was Vette. I summoined her by the terminam on the Odessen operation base, got her to 49 until the last chapter. The she was gone and after the chapter, when she rejoined, she remained still 49.

Yup, mine (that have come in via story mode) have come back where they left off.

The way they are handling former companions is retarded anyway. My scoundrel had a 10k affection Bowdaar that turned into a lvl 10 influence after recruiting him.

If you take a different class, between the 10 rounds of the arena and depending on the choices you made during the dialogues you can earn over 13k points of influence which means that after completing the mission Bowdaar is a lvl 11 influence companion (2/3 through lvl 11 to be precise). The reason is that if your old companion had 10k affection they are stopping any further gain of influence, something that doesn't happen with the other classes.

How does that make sense that a class that never had to deal with a companion gets it at a higher influence than a class that ran with it for 60 lvl?

Edited by demotivator

The way they are handling former companions is retarded anyway. My scoundrel had a 10k affection Bowdaar that turned into a lvl 10 influence after recruiting him.

If you take a different class, between the 10 rounds of the arena and depending on the choices you made during the dialogues you can earn over 13k points of influence which means that after completing the mission Bowdaar is a lvl 11 influence companion (2/3 through lvl 11 to be precise). The reason is that if your old companion had 10k affection they are stopping any further gain of influence, something that doesn't happen with the other classes.

How does that make sense that a class that never had to deal with a companion gets it at a higher influence than a class that ran with it for 60 lvl?

That definitely isn't fair and makes me wonder if one or the other is bugged. But which is it? Is level 10 the maximum influence everyone is supposed to attain through the EC? In which case, everyone but smugglers is bugged (and getting a small advantage.) Or are smugglers also supposed to be able to gain influence with Bowdaar by doing the EC? I already had 10 influence with him on my smuggler and when I ran the EC the first time to recruit him, I gained no influence whatsoever with him when turning in the quest.

The quest is to get him to 10K influence (which is what the old level 10 affection translates into). I don't have a smuggler at the requisite point; do you even have to do TEC at all, or can you skip it since you already have 10K influence? The other "influence required" comps are recruitable by their old commanders without having to do their quests; I wouldn't expect a smuggler with 10k+ influence to have to do TEC at all if they don't want to.

That having been said, TEC ought to continue to give Bowdaar influence, a la PvP and 4X/Pierce, IMO.

The quest is to get him to 10K influence (which is what the old level 10 affection translates into). I don't have a smuggler at the requisite point; do you even have to do TEC at all, or can you skip it since you already have 10K influence? The other "influence required" comps are recruitable by their old commanders without having to do their quests; I wouldn't expect a smuggler with 10k+ influence to have to do TEC at all if they don't want to.

That having been said, TEC ought to continue to give Bowdaar influence, a la PvP and 4X/Pierce, IMO.

If you play a non-smuggler does the quest say "get Bowdaar to influence rank 10?" That would explain why I didn't get any influence from him when doing the quest. I don't think you need to do EC at all to recruit Bowdaar as a smuggler, but the messaging on the quest is not clear about that. After the initial conversation with him, I clicked on him again (even though he didn't have a triangle) and it started a new dialog as if I were continuing on with the next stage of the quest. I escaped out though, because my quest log was still saying to do some EC missions and I was afraid of bugging it if I didn't. I don't recall the quest ever specifying though how many EC missions I was supposed to do, so I just did as many as I could and then went back to Bowdaar. Then the quest went on normally from there.

I do think it would be an incentive to do EC if you could continue to gain ranks with Bowdaar every time you did the EC.

This is how they do it (And I've gotten 8 classes worth of original companions back so far)

You are a Sith Warrior, even if Pierce is only rank 2, he will come back without you having to do any pvp at all. Not a single drop of pvp, EVEN if he is rank 1 and not rank 10.

If you are an Agent and want to go recruit Pierce, he is not your original companion, so he (the way they wrote it) wants you to be rank 10 with him (the original max for whatever reason) for him to join your alliance. HIS rank 10 is for you, not a sith warrior, to do 20 rounds or 10 rounds (depending if you win/lose) or even valor 40, for his influence to hit rank 10.

So, to get to the point, if the companion is your original companion on that character/class, the companion comes right back. Smugglers don't HAVE to do EC at all. Sith Warriors do NOT have to pvp at all. Agents don't have to turn in almost 800 stacks each of the biological crap Lokin wants, Consulars do NOT have to kill Juggars or World Bosses, etc.

Smuggler had Bowdaar originally, no EC needed.

Sith War had Pierce originally, no pvp needed.

Consular had Qyzen originally, no Jugg kills or World Boss kills.

(Answering your question about if you have to do EC or not for Bowdaar on Smugglers)

This is how they do it

It doesn't always work like that. Lokin does not automatically come back even for an agent. You still have to go collect the rakghoul stuff. You DO however bypass the requirement to get him to rank 10 influence, but you still need to be his errand-runner in the tunnels. You mention this but I wanted to bring more details out.

I don't know if you can bypass Yuun's mission as a Trooper, haven't run my tropper through EC. Same with Blizz on the BH. Talos Drellik, Qyzen Fess, M1-4X/Pierce can be bypassed. Can anyone confirm if Bowdaar works more like Lokin (bypass the grind to influence rank 10, but you still have to fight that battle to free the slaves), or like Talos or Qyzen (where you can bypass the content entirely)?

Edited by phalczen

It doesn't always work like that. Lokin does not automatically come back even for an agent. You still have to go collect the rakghoul stuff. You DO however bypass the requirement to get him to rank 10 influence, but you still need to be his errand-runner in the tunnels. You mention this but I wanted to bring more details out.

I don't know if you can bypass Yuun's mission as a Trooper, haven't run my tropper through EC. Same with Blizz on the BH. Talos Drellik, Qyzen Fess, M1-4X/Pierce can be bypassed. Can anyone confirm if Bowdaar works more like Lokin (bypass the grind to influence rank 10, but you still have to fight that battle to free the slaves), or like Talos or Qyzen (where you can bypass the content entirely)?

You can only bypass the influence-building parts of alliance alerts, as far as I can tell. Any mechanic that builds influence, the original class can bypass, but non-influence mechanics must still be done.

A smuggler doesn't have to do EC itself, just the fight to free slaves with Bowdaar as your companion. I found the quest a little confusing due to how the quests are added to your log and can see how people might think completing EC is required even for a smuggler.

And it still doesn't change the fact that a non-smuggler gets Bowdaar with a higher influence (rank 11) than a smuggler itself (rank 10 at best). That doesn't make any sense.

And all the time you took to get him to rank 10 can now be accomplished in 15 min.