The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Species please

yca_mtl

what? no. kissing has nothing to do with it. the face either. lol

using the word humanoid is relevant. it's a science term first, outside of the star wars universe and lore, and we're using it to describe the similarity of the character designs in the context of determining the workload required for character artists to add the species to the game. all species that have the same basic humanoid physical shape can easily be added to the game with only minor work. anything outside of that is, logically, more work.

It may seem strange, but kissing actually does have a lot to do with whether a specie will be added. They are not going to be adding something that can't be romanced by the existing companions. They have enough problems with character flags as it is.

What "humanoid" is from a scientific POV is all purely academic as far as this game is concerned. Both Nautolans and Wookiees are "humanoid" by that definition, yet Nautolans are a distinct possibility, whereas Wookiees are not.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What "humanoid" is from a scientific POV is all purely academic as far as this game is concerned. Both Nautolans and Wookiees are "humanoid" by that definition, yet Nautolans are a distinct possibility, whereas Wookiees are not.

There's really only one definition of humanoid, and that is an immutable property based on the etymology of the word. It's a combination of the Latin word humanus (which should be obvious in meaning) and the Greek suffix -οειδής, which means "similar in form to".

TL;DR - if it has sensory cephalization, a torso, two arms, and two legs, it's humanoid. </discussion>

Illo dicto, and more on-topic; there are tons of viable races in SW which could be added. The problem comes when many races in SW are "near-humans" like the Chiss.

Pop quiz time! What's the difference between an Arkanian and a human? Arkanians have white hair. What's the difference between a Zeltron and a human? Zeltrons have pink skin! What will the forums do if either species is added into TOR? Complain that both are just humans with a different paintjob!

That's the real problem here.

Edited by Diviciacus

since the guy above me just owned the "humanoid" definition i don't need to go there. for the purposes of context in this game and adding character art to this game though, so far, all of the proposed species are "humanoid" and can be easily added to the game with little or no effort. trandoshans and wookies are possible but would require extensive work to add to the game and maintain. everyone else from what i've seen can be added "easily" though.

"kissing" is a function of character animation. it has nothing to do with being humanoid or not. if the character model has a standard rigging and bones structure and head it can "romance" function. it's that simple.

as for taller character models. this may or may not be a relevant concern. i would have to see the relevant posts / vids by the dev team explaining the nature of why this is an obstacle before i accepted it. otherwise i can't take the word of someone from the community, who is unversed in development or character modeling and animating, to be believed. they simple aren't informed enough to even understand and properly interpret whatever information they may have heard. afaik camera settings would be dynamic and they would not be hardcoded for each specific scene so they would be easily scaled for a character's proper height. this may not be true, but if that is the case it is a serious development prob that should be corrected anyhow due to how inefficient and restrictive it is on future development.

There's really only one definition of humanoid, and that is an immutable property based on the etymology of the word. It's a combination of the Latin word humanus (which should be obvious in meaning) and the Greek suffix -οειδής, which means "similar in form to".

TL;DR - if it has sensory cephalization, a torso, two arms, and two legs, it's humanoid. </discussion>

Illo dicto, and more on-topic; there are tons of viable races in SW which could be added. The problem comes when many races in SW are "near-humans" like the Chiss.

Pop quiz time! What's the difference between an Arkanian and a human? Arkanians have white hair. What's the difference between a Zeltron and a human? Zeltrons have pink skin! What will the forums do if either species is added into TOR? Complain that both are just humans with a different paintjob!

That's the real problem here.

*pushes glasses up with nerdy, nasally voice*

Arkanians also only have 4 digit "claws" for hands and have no pupils.

Now there are also off shoots from years of Arkanian genetic tampering where the differences are white skin and white hair. Some (I would imagine very very few) bear the pointed ears of the Sephi

That said, I'd love an Arkanian race. It's tragically underused in an OLD Republic game. I'm shocked Miraluka were represented...

Edited by MACharlieV

what? no. kissing has nothing to do with it. the face either. lol

using the word humanoid is relevant. it's a science term first, outside of the star wars universe and lore, and we're using it to describe the similarity of the character designs in the context of determining the workload required for character artists to add the species to the game. all species that have the same basic humanoid physical shape can easily be added to the game with only minor work. anything outside of that is, logically, more work.

Yes, exactly the kissing thing is the reason we have blue humans, red humans, green, tentacle head humans, etc. I can't rember wich dev once said during an interview but his exact words were "who want to kiss a non human anyway" refferring to alien species in SWTOR. The definition for BW still remains: it has to have a human face for human expresion, or it won't make it at all as a playable race.

It has nothing to do about the opinion the playerbase have, but the decision made by the developers. Thatfore I simply can't understand why people argue here about "humanoid" or not. This therm was put by the devs, why some species would never be playable in SWTOR, even if per se the definition used is flawed.

Personally I couldn't care less about the romances in here. Most of the romanceable companions are jerks anyway. So that "kissy thing" wouldn't bother me not even the slightest. After all, in my age I've seen way stranger thigs in movies and games, than a Rodian kissing a human.:rolleyes:

From my perspective, BW could integrate any player wished playable race. From BW's perspective this would mean earning more money. But this is entirely not our decision to take.

Yoda's species - mates and I prefer this one as #1. It'd be great to have such diversity of height among species, and that the lightsaber shoto fits a sprite like size group. There are blue color ones as well as green, and who knows what other color ones of this mysterious ancient species.

Why not just create some of the easier to do species like Pantoran (<this is a really good one) or Zeltron, that require little more than a skin color change? The 40 character max limit is great; however, the amount of present species available fall short, big time. Really, really need more playable species in game.

Why not just create some of the easier to do species like Pantoran (<this is a really good one) or Zeltron, that require little more than a skin color change? The 40 character max limit is great; however, the amount of present species available fall short, big time. Really, really need more playable species in game.
Those two species I'd love to see in the game, sadly they are not distinct enough to make it as playable races. Just a wild guess, but a hard one, since BW looks for every species beeing quite recognisable. Pantoran look briefly like better Chiss, and Zeltron like the prettier Sith Pureblood.

But if there is even the slightest chance to get them, I'd be one to buy both races.:)

Ferengi or bust. I'd pay some serious latinum for those beautiful buggers. But if we can't make that happen how about Zeltron :D

I'm in. The fleet station is a total rip off of DS9 anyhow. It fits (sadly).

Voss can't be playable because of several reasons, one of which is that your interactions with them center around the fact that they're Voss and you're not. That said, I'd like the ability to play as a Nautolan or Devaronian.

Voss can't be playable because of several reasons, one of which is that your interactions with them center around the fact that they're Voss and you're not. That said, I'd like the ability to play as a Nautolan or Devaronian.

There are a LOT of things in this game that we shouldn't be able to do but we can simply because it makes BW money, also there are a lot of things we should be able to do but still cannot.

• 3 weeks later...