Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Unable to rename to chosen first name.

Djake

Renaming does not seem to be working for me. I've tried over 20 versions of Name<space><various2ndnames> and all have been "unavailable". I've tried adding several of the attempted names to friends list on both sides of server, all were "name does not exist", so I know they are not taken. Only the first name I want is taken and has been by L2 Warrior for years. As far as I can tell the renaming tool is not looking past the first name when checking for uniqueness.

What I notice is if you try to make a name with a pre-existing name that was blocked, then the system blocks any variation of that name. For example, suppose you were trying to make the name Duke Nukem. It doesn't matter if you change the name to some else like Duke Nut or whatever. Duke is block and can't be used regardless if duke is used as the first name or last name. Edited by Knockerz

No, it's just plain "Jake". I actually had the name in early access, but lost it when force server transferred. The name exists on my server, but is being squatted on by a L2 warrior and has been for years, unplayed.

No, it's just plain "Jake". I actually had the name in early access, but lost it when force server transferred. The name exists on my server, but is being squatted on by a L2 warrior and has been for years, unplayed.

Just because the character is not being played does not mean the player does not play.

Just because the character is not being played does not mean the player does not play.

They're still squatting on the name, but that isn't the point. It wouldn't matter to me now IF I could use the first name<space>2nd name

It may very well be the common name thing. I am having the same issue, the name I want does not exist in full but someone with just the first name does.

This could also be because I am splitting up a current name into two names that it's not working but hopefully that's not it because the common name thing is something that is fixable with a guaranty of getting the name without wasting money.

Have you tried using some special characters in the name, like the variations on the letters a, e? Think there is a googleable code map of all the Alt+codes... You might have better luck that way, although your vowels will have those umlat/tilde/etc on them...

If it helps any, I have a character with a pretty common name (example: Iris), and I was able to make a new character that has that name with a surname added on (example: Iris Meadows).

So it sounds like it may be an issue with renaming specifically, if the first name the OP is trying to use has already successfully been used by itself.

I keep getting "invalid name".

I want to make a character with [Name] Storm, yes, I know it's lame, but whatever I plug in for [Name] doesn't work. Any ideas why, other than BioWare has turned into the lame police?

Oh, and before anyone starts blathering about "Johnny Storm, blah blah..." please consider that the surname of Storm is Old English and has been around since the Thirteenth Century.

Edited by Cedia

I keep getting "invalid name".

I want to make a character with [Name] Storm, yes, I know it's lame, but whatever I plug in for [Name] doesn't work. Any ideas why, other than BioWare has turned into the lame police?

Oh, and before anyone starts blathering about "Johnny Storm, blah blah..." please consider that the surname of Storm is Old English and has been around since the Thirteenth Century.

Try spelling it old English style and add an E at the end. "Storme"

Invalid Character means you are trying to use something that is blocked.

Try spelling it old English style and add an E at the end. "Storme"

Invalid Character means you are trying to use something that is blocked.

Thanks for the tip, but I ended up finding something just as good. :) And possibly a little less OMG comic book character.

I still find it silly that it's blocked, though. I wonder if it's blocked for Legacy names, too.

Steve is Captain America! And Wanda is, what's her name . . . the Scarlet Witch! And Jake, that is obviously from that one cartoon about the kid and his dog. Clearly, anyone using those names is trying to make a copy of those characters!

Unless there are NPC's somewhere in the galaxy with those names, in which case we certainly can't have anyone copying an NPC. I mean, it would really diminish immersion if a player ran into another player with the same name as an NPC that they may have run into during a level 31 quest.

I am just teasing, for the most part, but I think that Bioware's name filter may be a tad overzealous at times. :p

How do you know that the warrior is still level 2? If they are offline, a /who search will return with no results. So, if they really are still level 2 and have been offline for years, then you would not be able to know that. All that you can possibly know is that the name is taken by a character that was a L2 warrior years ago. They may very well be active, but just log in at different times than you.

How do you know that the warrior is still level 2? If they are offline, a /who search will return with no results. So, if they really are still level 2 and have been offline for years, then you would not be able to know that. All that you can possibly know is that the name is taken by a character that was a L2 warrior years ago. They may very well be active, but just log in at different times than you.

When you first add them as a friend it shows you their level and where they logged out

Edited by CrazyCT

When you first add them as a friend it shows you their level and where they logged out

I was wrong about the L2 part, going from a two-year old memory. I un-friended "Jake" and refriended, the character is a L5 Warrior.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.