Windows 10 vs SWTOR - worth of?

tummiswtor

Hello there.

my spec

6300 FX, 7850 2gb, 4gb of ram, win 7 64 bit.

It is worth to install win 10? I have heard that some of games with win 10 runs better and +/- 5fps

How about SWTOR? Some people says it runs better no fps spikes from 110 fps to 40 etc., some not. Today i have heard that one girl cant travel to Tatooine, becouse its catch bugs. What's Your opinion?

I've been on windows 10 since shortly after it launched and it works flawlessly.

Others however seem to be having some trouble.

If you are the kind of person who is technically capable of doing things like driver installs, you should be fine. Considering you know what is inside your computer, I'm guessing this is a non-issue.

If things go wrong, I'm pretty sure you can roll back to win 7 within the first month of using windows 10 (at which point it deletes the old files to free up space).

Windows 10 generally takes a little less RAM than win 7, which should be helpful for you.

You may not be an English speaker so I'd suggest saying "Windows 10 vs Windows 7" rather, since SWTOR is not an OS...but oh well, you decide if that matters to you.

Anyways, your biggest bottleneck is your RAM I'd say. With 4GB you don't have a lot and BW games are notorious for eating up RAM. Clearly the rest of the specs are fine.

Windows 10 has been running fine for me but I will say that it had some issues at the start. At some point though everything will be optimized based on Windows 10 like graphics drivers etc. Not saying W7 is dead but at some point it seems better to upgrade than to stay behind if you will. Not saying that has to be today but ultimately if it runs fine for you on W7 you don't need to upgrade at this point.

The only issue with Windows 10 is that it does mass updates to all your drivers whether you like it or not unless you can figure out how to disable it, which can cause compatability issues.

E.g. On my Surface I have to keep rolling back to the September 2015 version of the drivers cause the current most recent GFX drivers aren't compatible with SWTOR and still haven't been fixed for a bunch of other games.

~ Eudoxia

The only issue with Windows 10 is that it does mass updates to all your drivers whether you like it or not unless you can figure out how to disable it, which can cause compatability issues.

E.g. On my Surface I have to keep rolling back to the September 2015 version of the drivers cause the current most recent GFX drivers aren't compatible with SWTOR and still haven't been fixed for a bunch of other games.

~ Eudoxia

THose mass update to "drivers" can be disabled and stop, windows 10 has not tried to install any drivers on my end since I disabled the function. not sure how do able that is on none "pro" editions that dont have gpedit.msc nor have I had compatablity issue as result, long as the drivers you using are bugged or the cause there is no issue,

Edited by Kyuuu

• 4 weeks later...
Well I was pleasantly surprised with the upgrade from Windows 7. I have an old machine, a Mac Pro from 2008 that I upgraded the processors and video card on. I was normally getting around 30 fps tops in SWTOR, less on the fleet. Last night after upgrade to Windoes 10, I was getting around 5o fps. I hope this lasts.

SWTOR works fine for me on Windows 10. I can't say how it compares to Win 7 because I also upgraded my system shortly after getting Windows 10. That is, it does seem smoother and better fps, but that would be because of the better CPU.

Was - i5-3570K (stock clock), 8 Gigs DDR3, R9 390, Win 7, mATX

Is now - i5-6600 (non K), 16Gigs DDR4, R9 390, Win 10. mini-ITX

I don't play many other games these days. Snood runs fine. :)

TFC (an old Half-Life CTF mod) seems to be very jerky and harder to play than before, but that's not much of a problem. :)

BTW - a caution. The reason why I'm running Windows 10 is that, a couple of weeks ago, just before I did the upgrade, one of those "Upgrade to Windows 10" prompts popped up while I was playing SWTOR. Instead of making a choice to not upgrade, I simply closed the prompt. I guess Windows decided that that was a "yes", because about 5 minutes later SWTOR, my browser, and everything else closed down and the computer started to install Windows 10. (I was not a happy camper at that point. :) )

Luckily, since I had a retail version of Win7, my license transferred over to the new system.... and, I like Windows 10.

Edited by JediQuaker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.