Whats up with the lack of Assault Cannons?!

Cortusjace

I always quote Drake & Vasquez's lines from Aliens when I'm shootin' doods with my assault cannon, since the smart guns were clearly what inspired the look and movement models for the Clone Wars cartoon cannon troopers, which then inspired the SWTOR commando look and move set.

I prefer the original look to the curly-cue bolts, too.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

I always quote Drake & Vasquez's lines from Aliens when I'm shootin' doods with my assault cannon, since the smart guns were clearly what inspired the look and movement models for the Clone Wars cartoon cannon troopers, which then inspired the SWTOR commando look and move set.

The weapons in Aliens were in their turn inspired by the many Real World examples of machine guns of various weights that can be fired in that sort of way, usually with a sling to support the weight of the weapon.

There's only one class that uses them though. But either way a lot of the Assualt Cannons look stupid anyways. I used a Bowcaster on my commando for the longest time back in vanilla until they changed it so lots of the abilities require Assualt canons now I think....

Especially carrying around Assualt canons on female troopers, they look way too bulky for them.

Edited by Newyankalt

They all look pretty much the same. There are only like 4-5 unique types last I checked. The only one I like is the gatling-type with the spinning rotary barrels and its non-spinning equivalent. A lot of them look silly or like small speeders.

There's only one class that uses them though. But either way a lot of the Assualt Cannons look stupid anyways. I used a Bowcaster on my commando for the longest time back in vanilla until they changed it so lots of the abilities require Assualt canons now I think....

Bowcasters - why isn't there a heavy bowcaster that you could carry like an AC?

Especially carrying around Assualt canons on female troopers, they look way too bulky for them.

That's part of why I like the EL-34. It's long, but not massively bulky.

It took you until the "Return" trailer? His performance in the "Hope" trailer wasn't enough?

Heh.

Well, I came into SWTOR with a vastly minimal knowledge of Old Republic lore -- only what you see in KOTOR 1/2. So I had no idea who Jace was or how it would relate to the game. I also never watched Clone Wars or anything like that.

So I'm reasonably certain that the first time I ever saw a SW Assault Cannon of any kind whatsoever was in "Return" I was like "A minigun that shoots blaster bolts? Sign me up!"

Edited by Khevar

Heh.

Well, I came into SWTOR with a vastly minimal knowledge of Old Republic lore -- only what you see in KOTOR 1/2. So I had no idea who Jace was or how it would relate to the game. I also never watched Clone Wars or anything like that.

So I'm reasonably certain that the first time I ever saw a SW Assault Cannon of any kind whatsoever was in "Return" I was like "A minigun that shoots blaster bolts? Sign me up!"

I watched "Hope" first, so OK. And I never played either KOTOR. The only SW material I saw before beginning SWTOR were ANH, ESB, and RotJ, plus Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Han Solo at Star's End.

That said, my first two characters were a Shadow, because, um, double-bladed sabre; and a Commando because, um, Honking Big Gun. (For various reasons, it took me nearly three years to finish the Shadow's class story...)

That said, my first two characters were a Shadow, because, um, double-bladed sabre; and a Commando because, um, Honking Big Gun. (For various reasons, it took me nearly three years to finish the Shadow's class story...)

Funny you mention the Shadow.

I've managed to sample all of the classes in this game, and I really don't enjoy any of the melee classes EXCEPT for the Shadow / Assassin. Not sure exactly what it is, but somehow it's particular combat rhythm combined with the animations of that class really works for me (while all the other melee ones don't).

The weapons in Aliens were in their turn inspired by the many Real World examples of machine guns of various weights that can be fired in that sort of way, usually with a sling to support the weight of the weapon.

The movements of the Aliens smart guns are unique to the movie due to the camera mounts they were attached to by the special effects crew. It was those distinctive movements that CW copied for their assault cannons, not real world soldiers shooting light machine guns from the hip with the help of a sling. Those movements were mimicked by the standard troopers shooting the long barrel blasters like those used in the Battle of Geonosis in AOTC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.