Lethality Operative End Game PVE

Macrov

Hey folks. Just trying to choose between my two favorite classes this expansion. I love the play of both the Lethality Operative and the Arsenal Mercenary.

I am just wondering what everyone's attitude is on their dps in Ops? I am leaning slightly to the Leth just because of the ability to also play WZ's reliably, but I am not for sure.

Thanks!

THATS WHAT IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT TOO. (I also want to know why the class was nerfed)

Scoundrel

Ruffian

Brutal Shots no longer benefits from the effects of Cheap Shots.

Operative

Lethality

Corrosive Assault no longer benefits from the effects of Cut Down.

Also this was reduced after one of the patches but no notes were ever shown about it.

reduced the damage to Cut Down Reducing it down to 10% (From 20%) same on the Ruffian side.

I posted on the ops forum, PVP, this class forums and the class forums in general.

Nobody will even acknowledge filthy Lethality OPeratives, its like we all should be avoided like we got herpies, pinkeye, or something :sul_embarrassed: :sul_embarrassed: :sul_embarrassed:

Edited by COOKIESNOMNOMNOM

Hey folks. Just trying to choose between my two favorite classes this expansion. I love the play of both the Lethality Operative and the Arsenal Mercenary.

I am just wondering what everyone's attitude is on their dps in Ops? I am leaning slightly to the Leth just because of the ability to also play WZ's reliably, but I am not for sure.

Thanks!

Why choose? Play both! Arsenal is everywhere. You can do well with it and it is easy to play decent. For me it is too boring so I play IO on my Merc, but that's me. Lethality seems (in my perception) to be the least played discipline in the game. But boy, is it fun - though I prefer Ruffian myself, having started it back in 1.1. It can dish out high damage with great consistency if you know what you are doing and know the fights.

@Cookie: Only the devs can answer that question and I'm certain that they won't, no matter how often you post this question across the forums.

Why choose? Play both! Arsenal is everywhere. You can do well with it and it is easy to play decent. For me it is too boring so I play IO on my Merc, but that's me. Lethality seems (in my perception) to be the least played discipline in the game. But boy, is it fun - though I prefer Ruffian myself, having started it back in 1.1. It can dish out high damage with great consistency if you know what you are doing and know the fights.

@Cookie: Only the devs can answer that question and I'm certain that they won't, no matter how often you post this question across the forums.

Thanks for your reply. The issue I'm having is that at the starting out gear phase I am not for sure how bad I am at lethality. With some 208 gear (2 168 PVP relics from last expansion) I am pulling consistantly 3.5k dps. With my merc in similar gear I am pulling 4k generally. Is my Lethality extremely below what is expected at that gear level? I look at parses but its all to do with max gear and min maxed. I am trying to see if it's me or the gear. Im sure its a combination of the two but I don't want to be a liability in my guild. Thanks!

While I haven't played Lethality in PVE since, oh probably before 3.0, if you look at the calculations that Goblin_Lackey did it shows that for 216 gear

06 - 6191 - +1.02% --- Mercenary - Arsenal || Commando - Gunnery

07 - 6175 - +0.76% --- Operative - Lethality || Scoundrel - Ruffian

So they are very close, in theory. In actuality I'm not so sure.

As for gear, for 216's you would want:

Operative - Lethality || Scoundrel - Ruffian

6175 DPS @ 46.3 APM | 5871 Endurance | 4990 Mastery (Stim) | 2648 Power

1127 Critical (3xE, 7xA, 2xC) | 894 Alacrity (3xE, 6xA) | 681 Accuracy (4xE, 1xA)

and for 220's

Operative - Lethality || Scoundrel - Ruffian

6410 DPS @ 46.5 APM | 6127 Endurance | 5179 Mastery (Stim) | 2788 Power

1171 Critical (4xE, 5xA, 2xC) | 932 Alacrity (4xE, 4xA) | 685 Accuracy (2xE, 5xA)

Lethality is fine in raids. It has some advantages (namely its mid-range nature and strong mobility), but it doesn't bring much to the table other than sustained single-target damage. You have relatively long setup times and need to get a mostly complete rotation in order to do your damage. This makes the class inapplicable to some hard checks, like the orbs in Calphayus. Additionally, the AoE is… lacking. Lethality has more AoE damage than most people believe (most people can't use the DoT spread because of how fluky Carbine Burst can be), but it's still a lot less than most other classes.

These pronounced weaknesses would be fine if there were an off spec in the same class that you could swap to and rectify things, but there… isn't. Concealment solves the setup time problem, but the burst is relatively underwhelming (compared to what it has been in the past) and the sustained damage is abysmal. Furthermore, Concealment is one of the most melee-constrained specs in the game, with nearly everything in the core rotation being confined to 4 meters. To top it all off, Concealment's AoE is somehow even worse than Lethality's.

Other classes are more versatile and generally capable of doing Lethality's job better than Lethality can. With that said, you can make it work. On the positive side, operatives are one of two classes that bring the tech damage debuff (which is absurdly helpful for most of the meta classes right now), and Lethality does the most single-target damage of all four disciplines therein.

KeyboardNinja summed up the strengths and weaknesses of Lethality very well, but it does have one additional strength that occasionally pops up. Lethality DPS comes in waves--tiny dps, HUGE DPS, tiny dps, HUGE DPS, and so forth. A few fights have the boss occasionally go immune, and Lethality can use this time to set up their DoTs and gain two Tactical Advantages.

Running towards mobs under a Bulwark Shield in the Draxus fight? DoT 'em up! Draxus himself in the last phase? DoT 'im up! Karagga's Towers of Hanoi robot has fire incoming in 5 seconds? You'll be set! Soa, Raptus, Calphayus, Firebrand & Stormcaller, Warlord Kephess, Golden Fury, Master & Blaster, and Styrak all have this.

Lastly, and I can't tell if this is just my imagination or what, but any fight where the boss takes *extra* damage, such as Kephess the Undying, I find I completely outdo everyone. Not sure if that's just some wonkiness with the math where lots of medium sized hits benefit more than fewer large hits. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Edited by Excise

I play both specs, Lethality and Concealment. I find Lethality more fun and love the mobility of the med range to close range combat. I am averaging about 5.7k to 6k damage with full 220 and a couple of pieces of 224. It's good to see people also enjoying this spec as well. There are some posts in there that say Volatile Substance should be moved to Lethality and I agree. In Ops, I never hear that I am the weakest link in the group. I always say, you play whatever class you want to play as long as you enjoy it and don't give a **** what others say.