Lore wise, best class for a base commander

ElevenBfour

In my opinion, Inquisitor, Agent, and Knight are the best classes "lorewise," not necessarily due to their own attributes, but due to "shortcomings" of other classes

Warrior- Sith Warriors are generally played off as near mindless brutes, the only real exceptions being Marr and Malgus. The Warrior gives off an aura of strength, but not in a leader-ly sense. More in a more raw, feral sense.

Hunter- This one is incredibly obvious. The Hunter class is far too counterculture to the galaxy's society to really lead anything besides a clan of mandalorians.

Consular- This explanation is rather short: Consulars are simply too passive. There is almost no ambition, no charisma, just quiet introspective thought. I could see a consular leading an archaeological study, or a classroom, or a benign little book club. Not a militant resistance group.

Smuggler- Pretty much the same as Hunter. A Smuggler would be more interested in running a crime syndicate than an armed resistance. I could see a smuggler working WITHIN it as a high-level operative, but certainly not as a leading figure. It simply doesn't fit.

Trooper- This one comes close, but doesn't quite make it. Troopers are followers, not leaders. Yes, you are the leader of an elite squad, but you still report to superiors. Troopers lack the creativity and the charisma to be a believable alliance leader.

I would like to briefly touch on why I believe that Inquisitor, Agent, and Knight would make the best Alliance leaders:

Inquisitor- Inquisitors simply have it all. Intelligence, ambition, creativity. They are powerful in the force, but not brutes like Warriors or passive stoics like Consulars. Inquisitors are ambitious, manipulative political machines who are always plotting and scheming their next 15 moves, with 20 different contingencies.

Agent- This is very similar to Inquisitor, in terms of how the mindset of the class makes it work well lorewise. The Agent is versed in beaurocracy, combat, strategy, and underworld dealings. Agents are creative, cunning, and utterly ruthless in how they act, making them ideal candidates for the position of Alliance Leader from a lore perspective.

Knight- This one is rather obvious: Because the Jedi Knight is SWTOR's token class. If you can't tell this, then wake up and pay attention. SWTOR's developers made a clear effort to make Knight the game's "best" class by giving it a vanilla story designed to be vastly more interesting and impactful than the vanilla stories of all of the other classes, featuring the knight in almost all promotional video as the central class, and even down to the knight's charismatic and expressive voice. It is a voice most akin to the generic hero archetype. The Knight works for this role simply because it was DESIGNED to.

I hear ya. I'm the same with my Sith Warrior

Yeah I feel like my warrior is kinda like the star of swtor but it's probably just because she's my main and I like her the best. She seems to have taken to the role of commander well, talking about how everyone else mucks everything up so much that she might as well take over, lol.

Warrior- Sith Warriors are generally played off as near mindless brutes, the only real exceptions being Marr and Malgus. The Warrior gives off an aura of strength, but not in a leader-ly sense. More in a more raw, feral sense.

Maybe a full dark side one, but I've never played one of those. I've done light and neutral and they certainly aren't mindless. :o

Edited by grania

Inquisitor- Inquisitors simply have it all. Intelligence, ambition, creativity. They are powerful in the force, but not brutes like Warriors or passive stoics like Consulars. Inquisitors are ambitious, manipulative political machines who are always plotting and scheming their next 15 moves, with 20 different contingencies.

Uh, it's more like the Inquisitor is the mindless brute while the warrior is the intelligent, ambitious, manipulative and plotting character.

It depends on your character's personality. Not their job. So basically any of the classes could become a base commander.

While there's certainly a lot of truth to that, our characters' personalities are all, to a certain degree, defined by their "jobs". Sure, we can choose how nice or evil they are, whether they have a sense a humor or not, which companions they get along with etc. but there are still archetypes behind them, and some of those archetypes fit the Alliance commander role better than others (even if we don't factor in the personal connection to Valkorian that only some classes have in-story).

Uh, it's more like the Inquisitor is the mindless brute while the warrior is the intelligent, ambitious, manipulative and plotting character.

How...??? Give me a rebuttal quantified by evidence please :)

I'm not Codedrago, and I don't know what evidence can be provided other than direct quotes or videos which... yeah, not gonna happen, but it is true that there is a dichotomy between what the supposed archetypes of the Inquisitor and the Warriors are, and what we have in the game. As in, the Inquisitor is someone you would expect to be the more cunning and manipulative one, but throughout their story they always deal with their problems very bluntly, unsophisticatedly and straightforwardly, usually by using nothing but raw power - that's applicable to anything from solving a puzzle in a Sith tomb by blasting it with lightning to facing Darth Thanaton in the Kaggath. I wouldn't go as far as to call the Inquisitor "mindless" but their way of doing things IS brute-like.

The Warrior has, generally, more room to be a Machiavellian type if the player so chooses, like manipulating Darth Baras' enemies to turn on each other in an early quest on Dromund Kaas or the whole thing where they VERY methodically engineer Jaesa's fall to the Dark Side and Nomen Karr's destruction.

The inquisitor never gets a chance to be smart in their story, in fact, the story forces them to be utter morons. Shocking the ancient artifact, trusting Zash and Thanaton (Not only do they have the voices that scream 'I-will-stab-you-in-the-back', but a lot of the NPC's in the game, including your ancestor, tell you that you're going to be betrayed by them specifically), blindly accepting the Force Walking ritual without even attempting to ask or think about any draw backs and everybody needs to continually save your arse. I wouldn't mind being saved, but it happens way to often.

The inquisitor never gets to plot or manipulate, anything of the sort is done for them. The cult? All planned by Zash and the other two (Forgot their names). When you're life is in danger because you blindly used the force walking ritual, do you rally your people to search for allies against Thanaton while you go into research Forcewalking? No, Zash, Ashara and andronikos go do all the work while you faff about (You walk in on them researching, asking what they are doing) while allies just come to you. The closest you get to plotting and manipulation is alderaan (I hate Alderaan, but it was the best part of the story for the Inquisitor)

The warrior on the other hand? Optionally: Turns his master's enemies into his allies. Fully brings a padawan to the dark side. Brings out the darkness in a full fledged jedi master (Tremel, Ratahri, ect). Corrupts many jedi (Belsavis is a good example). Breaks a General on Alderaan (It took a third playthrough to realize you can actually break her and skip the extra quest). Slowly build up their own powerbase against the inevitable betray from Baras (Moths, Nobles and a whole Sith Lords powerbase if you get lightside Jaesa).

The warrior optionally gets the chance to play it smart throughout the story (And even with that, you have to purposely make bad choices to be mindless, as even pure darkside has some cunning moments), while the Inquisitor is forced to be way less then advertised. This might be because I'm biased against the Inquisitor (I hate that story with a burning passion), but the Warrior seems more cunning, manipulative and overall smarter than the Inquisitor.

Also, to quote myself from anotehr thread about the inquisitor.

Prolouge - Kept the same, because it's actually pretty good for the Inquisitor's manipulative skills (Aside from opening a holocron by simply shocking it)

Chapter 1 - Help Zash with the artifacts, but when everybody starts telling you she'll betray you, you actually get the option to look into it. You research the artefacts you're collecting, realise what Zash is doing and then basically plan to ambush her when she attempts the ritual. To do this, you have the enlist the aid of Thanaton, who you found out is Zash's enemy.

Chapter 2 - Thanaton betrays and attempt to kill you, he thinks he succeeds and leaves you for dead. You come out alive and spend the whole chapter building a powerbase and take on Thanaton in a kaggath, a challenge that you know Thanaton will comply to and will be brought out into the open for. You get Khem/Zash to look for possiable allies, finding out about the Moths that might be willing to help you if you help them.

Chapter 3 - You cut off Thanaton's support on both Belsavis and Voss by either killing them or forcing them to join you, then on Correllia it's basically sending your forces to the correct targets to weaken Thanaton enough to draw him out to a duel on Corellia. When he lies dead, you go to Korriban to tell the council that you're taking his seat like a boss.

For me, I'm inclined to think that Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight are the best fits as Commander/Outlander. I play mostly dark side characters, and I feel both a dark warrior and dark jedi would suit the job wonderfully.

In all honesty, I just don't think non force users are the best fit with the way the story is at the moment, it just seems very unlikely to me that Valkorian would be so 'entranced' with a smuggler, bounty hunter, trooper or agent. Even though I have played these and enjoyed the stories, it seems more interesting to me, that the commander be a force user.

That said, I don't see a consular being the best choice either...they come across a bit soft to me, dark side might work better as someone said earlier. And while I really love my SI-sorcerer, the story just seems to flow better with SW and JK.

Trooper (military commander), Inquisitor (member of the dark council), and Consular (builder of alliances even during their class quest) seem to be the ones who are logically most qualified and experienced. The Agent probably to an extent as well, given their experiences behind the scenes.

My two mains are a SW and a BH, the way I'm justifying my SW being commander is to try further his power base and eventually try to rule the remains of the Empire meanwhile "brainwashing?" some other followers. That's the only reason I can find to justify him being the commander of an Alliance featuring Reps. As for my BH I have no idea how I'm going to justify it, I've just reached Voss, so I don't know what happens through to Chapter 10, but BH doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would want to rule an alliance.

It's kind of like they thought seeing as they're done with individual stories, they might as well just make it the hero's story which I feel is catered more towards the Republic side players than Empire. I mean I honestly can't picture any Empire char except Operator wanting to run an Alliance for unselfish reasons.

My two mains are a SW and a BH, the way I'm justifying my SW being commander is to try further his power base and eventually try to rule the remains of the Empire meanwhile "brainwashing?" some other followers. That's the only reason I can find to justify him being the commander of an Alliance featuring Reps. As for my BH I have no idea how I'm going to justify it, I've just reached Voss, so I don't know what happens through to Chapter 10, but BH doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would want to rule an alliance.

It's kind of like they thought seeing as they're done with individual stories, they might as well just make it the hero's story which I feel is catered more towards the Republic side players than Empire. I mean I honestly can't picture any Empire char except Operator wanting to run an Alliance for unselfish reasons.

Well if you're a Mandalorian, look at it as a chance to lead an army in combat as a test of your skills and your eventual bid to become Mandalore.

Trooper (military commander), Inquisitor (member of the dark council), and Consular (builder of alliances even during their class quest) seem to be the ones who are logically most qualified and experienced. The Agent probably to an extent as well, given their experiences behind the scenes.

Meh, the Inquisitor has never been shown to be a leader. The Counsular.... Yeah, they are probably the best suited for leading.

The Agent probably to an extent as well, given their experiences behind the scenes.

That's a problem not a strength. As a commander you need to be in the front, but the agent is best when behind the scenes. Thats why agent is not top choice, he's not the best as leader or face of something.

Well if you're a Mandalorian, look at it as a chance to lead an army in combat as a test of your skills and your eventual bid to become Mandalore.

That's a good point, thank you. I was kind of dreading going through the post story content on my BH due to lack of reasoning, but as far as the KOTFE Expansion that's quite a good justification. :D

My SW was my first char so It'll always be my favourite, but I love the BH for both game play and the story so far the only Rep I've enjoyed so far is Trooper tbh.

I'm not Codedrago, and I don't know what evidence can be provided other than direct quotes or videos which... yeah, not gonna happen, but it is true that there is a dichotomy between what the supposed archetypes of the Inquisitor and the Warriors are, and what we have in the game. As in, the Inquisitor is someone you would expect to be the more cunning and manipulative one, but throughout their story they always deal with their problems very bluntly, unsophisticatedly and straightforwardly, usually by using nothing but raw power - that's applicable to anything from solving a puzzle in a Sith tomb by blasting it with lightning to facing Darth Thanaton in the Kaggath. I wouldn't go as far as to call the Inquisitor "mindless" but their way of doing things IS brute-like.

The Warrior has, generally, more room to be a Machiavellian type if the player so chooses, like manipulating Darth Baras' enemies to turn on each other in an early quest on Dromund Kaas or the whole thing where they VERY methodically engineer Jaesa's fall to the Dark Side and Nomen Karr's destruction.

Agreed. Sith Warrior captures Darth vader better than the inquisitor captures Sidious.

Agreed. Sith Warrior captures Darth vader better than the inquisitor captures Sidious.

Sith Warrior also captures Sidious better than the Inquisitor and his story isn't even about political manipulation, it's about being the enforcer of political manipulation.

I've played chapters I-X so far on my sentinel, marauder, commando, and sniper. I would say given the number of times having to fight people with lightsabers, the commander/outlander should be a Jedi or a sith. I mean if Jango Fett couldnt survive Mace Windu, then how are any of the non-force users going to fight Arcan, the sions, zakuul knights, etc. I know it's a game, but would like to see just a little more "realism" to the Star Wars universe.