The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware just got MASSIVELY called out on the new Cartel Packs... by Massively

DustyDemonNinja

I wish I could like this post, because I can't help but think it's a TV Tropes reference.

Also, another one for "has been gaming for years, but hasn't heard of Massively until now". The gaming sites I'm familiar with are The Escapist (which is pretty much tabloid journalism for gaming, but still good for mindless laughs), Giant Bomb (which I recommend, as those in charge of that site manage to be informative while not pretending to be anything more than they are), and Screw Attack (haven't been there for years). Oh, and Kotaku, which I tend to throw into the same boat as The Escapist.

I like Kotaku and Giant Bomb as well. Especially love Highlight Reel on Kotaku.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new packs are much better than the older ones. Cubes are preferrable to the old system, and are more desired by the player base, as evidenced by the fact that the cubes now are going for more than what packs did previously.

OP can lie, whine and troll all he wants, but he's in the minority as shown by the GTM rates of the cubes and the sales of the packs. Most of us like the chance to get old items without being reamed with the insane prices of the BSG packs. Seriously, who wants to pay $10+ for a random gold armor huttball shirt.

At first, I was very disappointed with the Chance Cubes. However, I am finding I am making way more credits selling items from the Chance Cubes than I would have if they were just new, and very common, armor pieces.

That said, the biggest problem with these packs are the Unstable Lightsabers and Dualsabers. Bioware was very clear when they said they were going to a three tier system: Gold, Silver, and Bronze. It is painfully clear that even though the Unstable sabers are designated as Gold items, they are actually in a rarity level all to themselves.

And, for all you defenders, please don't tell me there are different rarity levels within each of the tiers. That is a bunch of crap. Every single other new Gold item is readily available on the GTN for a fraction of what the Unstable sabers are being listed at. There are clearly four rarity tiers in this pack: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Unstable Sabers.

At first, I was very disappointed with the Chance Cubes. However, I am finding I am making way more credits selling items from the Chance Cubes than I would have if they were just new, and very common, armor pieces.

That said, the biggest problem with these packs are the Unstable Lightsabers and Dualsabers. Bioware was very clear when they said they were going to a three tier system: Gold, Silver, and Bronze. It is painfully clear that even though the Unstable sabers are designated as Gold items, they are actually in a rarity level all to themselves.

And, for all you defenders, please don't tell me there are different rarity levels within each of the tiers. That is a bunch of crap. Every single other new Gold item is readily available on the GTN for a fraction of what the Unstable sabers are being listed at. There are clearly four rarity tiers in this pack: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Unstable Sabers.

Is it rarer or is it just in more of demand?

I know what the tinfoil hats and hater will says it is.

Edited by Warrgames

the writer off this massivly whatever noted: that the cheapest unstables are available for 25mio and the cheapest dual for 15 mio on his server. on t3m4 you don't even get a dual for 25 mio and a normal one starts with 49 mio at least^^

those *********** cubes? on t3m4 they ruined nearly every single price, so nearly 90% of the cm drops a nearly worthless by now!

As said, if folks do not like the packs, do not buy them. I certainly don't. It is the best way to demonstrate a lack of approval of current pack loadouts.

That said, if the metrics support the packs as they are (folks continue to buy them) then there isn't much argument for a change IMO. Again, majority rules, and if the majority find them acceptable, then so be it.

I am sure, if they experienced any kind of drop in pack sales due to this change they would most certainly reconsider the position. It is, after all, about revenue.

Never heard of him or he's alter ego " Massively" and therefore I care what Larry Everett thinks because what! he has his own website? You really think for one second that because this guy has written this on he's own web site and not here on the actual SW:TOR forums, he's word or complaint carry's more wait?

Well not it does not, it carry's the same wait, no more and no less than anyone else's complaint . He's just a player same as you and me.

BW so far has changed every cartel's pack's make up since 4.0 and fully expect it to change again for the next or one after, It wont be because of this guy.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Are there?

I have just been looking on GTN and there seem to be lots of these on there. Yes they are listed at very high costs but there are just as many as say the new droid comp. So are they really that rare, do they really have there own tier of rareness? I don't think they do.

Now players listing these are asking for a lot, we can agree on that. Within a few weeks this cost will come down a lot because other than a few players most will just not buy them. Remember list prize does not equal a sale. Havoc armour sets was going for 25mil when first came out . You can get it for half that now, another few months it be less still. This lightsaber will be the same. If this was as ultra rare as you claim then there would not be that many for sale in the first place. It will only remain high if players buy it. then it will come crashing down same as every other sort after item from cartel packs. I remember when I first tried to get Bastila's outfit off GTN. I paid 1mil just for the 1 part of her armour I did not have, this was the one and only time I paid a lot for an item. lol I have seen the whole set listed for less recently.

Its 2016, some of the most prolific reporters and authors of our time write on blogs. Blogs are press. Also Massively is a know source of news, articles, and reviews for the MMO industry and the like...

So what?

That doesnt mean that any keyboard warrior that makes a blog is a journalist. That is the main problem today in regards to the press, no checking of facts, no responsibility for putting out opinions and trying to say that it is fact.

A blogger does not equal a journalist by default, and also those "reporters" you speak of are usually op-ed writers, writing their opinion and then some reader thinks it is fact....it is not.

Though I do agree, after buying some of those packs, I wont be wasting my money on others.

That's the problem... not everyone WANTS old gear... I'm sure people don't mind it, but I'm also pretty sure people buy the packs for new items as well.

I would like to have a better chance at getting the current items that drop from the packs, but I don't mind the old gear as well, since I haven't collected any of it until now.

Anyone who wants to say "I don't care what anyone says in a review / opinion article" as a general rule, that's certainly your prerogative, but if you're calling Larry Everett "just a blogger" or "some random hack" then that would kind of have to be your opinion of all gaming journalists, because Everett's credentials are solid.

He's been a professional editor for Engadget / Joystiq, ran Massively's SWTOR column since before the game even launched, then migrated over to MassivelyOP as one of their founding editors where for the past year he's continued writing their regular "Hyperspace Beacon" column as well as other SWTOR news pieces, contributing hundreds of articles on the game over the past five years or longer. He's been a panelist at PAX South, he co-hosted around 200 episodes of The Republic over at Gamebreaker TV, he's done interviews with SWTOR devs, and he received advance press access to multiple SWTOR updates (Galactic Starfighter and KotFE for example). Those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head, you can probably find more with a little googling / LinkedIn-stalking.

Does that mean that everything he says / writes is perfect, or that everyone should agree with all of his opinions? Hell no. But that's true of all journalists, gaming or otherwise. Still, the guy is a legitimate gaming journalist if there is such a thing.

Edited by DarthDymond

Yet most of us have never heard of him. So now you put it in perspective of who he is and what he has done.

Still don't care. By he's own admission he is a player of this game same as the rest of us. His word carry's no more wait than anyone else's. He wanted an item from a cartel pack and did not get it. Boo F**** Hoo. He can join the club.

Am I complaining NO, because same as with any other item it was a gamble and he lost as did I as did many others. I am sure those players who got more than one are perfectly happy

Anyone who wants to say "I don't care what anyone says in a review / opinion article" as a general rule, that's certainly your prerogative, but if you're calling Larry Everett "just a blogger" or "some random hack" then that would kind of have to be your opinion of all gaming journalists, because Everett's credentials are solid.

He's been a professional editor for Engadget / Joystiq, ran Massively's SWTOR column since before the game even launched, then migrated over to MassivelyOP as one of their founding editors where for the past year he's continued writing their regular "Hyperspace Beacon" column as well as other SWTOR news pieces, contributing hundreds of articles on the game over the past five years or longer. He's been a panelist at PAX South, he co-hosted around 200 episodes of The Republic over at Gamebreaker TV, he's done interviews with SWTOR devs, and he received advance press access to multiple SWTOR updates (Galactic Starfighter and KotFE for example). Those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head, you can probably find more with a little googling / LinkedIn-stalking.

Does that mean that everything he says / writes is perfect, or that everyone should agree with all of his opinions? Hell no. But that's true of all journalists, gaming or otherwise. Still, the guy is a legitimate gaming journalist if there is such a thing.

It was not journalism of any sort... it was an opinion piece. Which is fine. Some people will share his opinions and some will not. So, we are right back where we started.

And NO... he did not call out Bioware any more then any player on the forum does every day, but he did express his opinions... just like very player in the forum.

Some people in this thread act like the article is lightening from Zeus bringing the pain down upon Bioware. :rolleyes:

Edited by Andryah

It was not journalism of any sort... it was an opinion piece. Which is fine. Some people will share his opinions and some will not. So, we are right back where we started.

And NO... he did not call out Bioware any more then any player on the forum does every day, but he did express his opinions... just like very player in the forum.

Some people in this thread act like the article is lightening from Zeus bringing the pain down upon Bioware. :rolleyes:

That was his point... his credentials are good, but every piece on games is opinion, by default. It's a game.

I'm glad you still feel the need to be a contrarian. It makes me realize the world hasn't changed.

True journalist? A true journalist won't sound like a **** hurt kid because they didn't get the lightsaber he wanted. There is nothing in that post that said professional anything but crybaby. Calling that man a true journalist is a joke. If he was half journalist he could have written a better article expressing his opinion and not sound like someone who is throwing a hissy fit because he didn't get what he wanted. You can't read that post objectively and call it anything but hissy fit. He talks about high the cost is on GTN even though similar limited supply high demand items where in the same price range. Why doesn't he bring up that fact? Because its not inline with BW is antichrist opinion because he didn't get the lightsaber he wanted. Anyone who ignores facts or slants them to their opinion is a hack. I'm sorry you only see what you want because you opinion is in line with his. Just like his opinion; my opinion doesn't mean ****. What is sad is people think this hissy fit of post is worth anything.

I'm sorry you only see what you want because you opinion is in line with his. Just like his opinion; my opinion doesn't mean ****. What is sad is people think this hissy fit of post is worth anything.

I actually think it is sad that accepting the truth of the matter means folks have to automatically agree with his opinion, at least according to what I understand of your post.

To be frank, his post is far more reasonable than yours IMO.

It is possible to disagree with his post and still accept his credentials. His credentials does not make his opinion any more or less valid, it only means he is not a fly by night game blogger, as some have contended.

Again, I think this has more to do with folks being challenged by his opinion, upset that he may be right than anything else...and that is ridiculous.

If folks REALLY believed his opinion was equal with everyone elses (it is, of course) they would not be trying so hard to discredit him personally.

Edited by LordArtemis

Everett's credentials are solid.

Being a knowledgeable player/experienced journalist =/= Knowing anything about game design

Who cares? if you don't like the packs, don't buy them.

"Who cares? If you don't like Trump, don't vote for him."

Even if I don't buy them packs, all the problems they bring remain and increase as long as enough people keep buying them. Lot of you who figured it is an awesome idea to spend 60 bux for lottery tickets giving you a CHANGE of winning a [cool saber from the movie omg] is essentially you folks voting with your wallets. Enough of these people casting their votes for long enough has gotten the current situation elected: Spending money on cartel packs is the closest thing to meaningful, new, in-development end game content SW:TOR has. It is ridiculous and pathetic and I'd find it extremely funny if I didn't care for this game at all. We all live our imaginary virtual lives in same virtual world! Since it makes a shared space, your terrible usage of your disposable income siths the plate up for everybody else just as well.

Thanks to you, EA is drowning in free, easy money thrown at them by people addicted to unpopping them crates.

I'd much prefer it if EA were instead drowning in hard won money thrown at them by people who want (and want to pay for) an awesome MMO.

If people asked and expected BIT MORE for their money, we'd maybe have an MMO where MMO portions were still in active development. heh. Nobody wants to make a new Op, or new WZ, or new zone, or new anything if it is better money to make a new bathrobe instead.

Stop being so exploitable.

Thanks in advance.

P.S This post is mostly addressing everybody who has been buying them hypercrates happily enough. This post wasn't (necessarily) directed to the person I quoted.

Edited by liianvanha

EA/BW are investing millions of dollars in this game. Trying to earn it back by generating revenue in your opinion qualifies as ruthless and milking the community? I can't take you serious. This is what I was talking about in my earlier post in this thread.

From my viewpoint it is doing opposite. Most people who have been regular buyers and have voiced out are saying they are stopping buying the new packs. I stopped buying them myself.

But then again, one should never underestimate the stupidity of man.