StarWars fans HATE the force users gear.Not a QQ thread but a contructive disscusion.

Nightraiin

I would like to start off by saying what an amazing job BioWare has done with the gameplay, stories and the overall mechanics of the game. Obviously there are issues to be addressed in many categories, as is to be expected from a brand new MMO of this magnitude. However one surprising issue is the total lack of authenticity in the gear force users have no choice but to wear.

There have been many discussions in general chat and I have heard countless comments from people elsewhere who are outraged at the appearance of gear of all the force using classes. In every StarWars film, book and especially every video game all Jedi and Sith characters are depicted in tunics over long flowing robes and cloaks.. and never with their belt over top of said cloak..

I do understand the need for gear pleases all the people who have switched from WoW and other games, with there massive shoulders and flashy armour, but this is not something that has ever been identified with force using characters. In fact it defeats the whole idea behind them, the force should be the only "armour" they need. These charactor aren't flashy by nature. The only character the ever have any semblance of armour is Darth Vader, and it is of course because he needs it to live.

I was extremely disappointed in seeing this, and I can speak for many, many others in saying so as well.

Options? Well The easiest solution would be to implement a cosmetic option that a player could show or not, similar to head slot. A slot for piece of equipment that doesn't necessarily need any stats of its own except to look like a traditional force user that we have all come to identify the StarWars universe with.

Robes for Light and Cloaks for Dark? Purchased from vendors with commendations or earned along with select titles? Perhaps both? Different colours with different trims or hood shape, browns, blacks, tans, deep purples and greens even, for the sake of diversity.

No Jedi or Sith has ever worn armoured shoulder pads and metal greaves no matter what fighting style or weapons they have choosen, one saber, two, or a saber-staff.

This would allow people who enjoy having big flashy gear with their elaborate helmets and giant shoulders as well as making this game a truly fantastic StarWars experience. There are many people who are playing this game(not only because it is far superior to WoW, not in mechanics and tools but overall fun) but because they have grown up with the StarWars saga. I think BioWare has done an amazing job with the gear for the non force using classes they are a fantastic depiction of StarWars characters and people that we all recognize. It would be great if we could say the same about these most cherished of charactors, Jedi and Sith.

Please ideas, opinions, want to tell me to **** off? I would love to hear your thoughts!!

Edited by Nightraiin

I would like to start off by saying what an amazing job BioWare has done with the gameplay, stories and the overall mechanics of the game. Obviously there are issues to be addressed in many categories, as is to be expected from a brand new MMO of this magnitude. However one surprising issue is the total lack of authenticity in the gear force users have no choice but to wear.

There have been many discussions in general chat and I have heard countless comments from people elsewhere who are outraged at the appearance of gear of all the force using classes. In every StarWars film, book and especially every video game all Jedi and Sith characters are depicted in tunics over long flowing robes and cloaks.. and never with their belt over top of said cloak..

I do understand the need for gear pleases all the people who have switched from WoW and other games, with there massive shoulders and flashy armour, but this is not something that has ever been identified with force using characters. In fact it defeats the whole idea behind them, the force should be the only "armour" they need. These charactor aren't flashy by nature. The only character the ever have any semblance of armour is Darth Vader, and it is of course because he needs it to live.

I was extremely disappointed in seeing this, and I can speak for many, many others in saying so as well.

Not me. I like the armored looks. I mean, the class is called Jedi Knight. Jedi. Knight. Knights wear armor.

The fact that we're 3,000 years before the movies I think goes a good way to explaining away some of this. First of all, we've got a stylized look that's more about providing a 'feel' or aesthetic than about actual realism. Second, in those 3,000 years, who knows what Force techniques the Jedi have developed to help increase their own resilience and defenses, that might render physical armor obsolete.

Options? Well The easiest solution would be to implement a cosmetic option that a player could show or not, similar to head slot. A slot for piece of equipment that doesn't necessarily need any stats of its own except to look like a traditional force user that we have all come to identify the StarWars universe with.

Robes for Light and Cloaks for Dark? Purchased from vendors with commendations or earned along with select titles? Perhaps both? Different colours with different trims or hood shape, browns, blacks, tans, deep purples and greens even, for the sake of diversity.

This is in the game, it's called 'moddable equipment', it's denoted by the orange border around the object. My Knight's got a heavy armor robe that looks, well, like a robe. I could carry that all the way to end-game, just updating the mods, if I want.

No Jedi or Sith has ever worn armoured shoulder pads and metal greaves no matter what fighting style or weapons they have choosen, one saber, two, or a saber-staff.

Correction. No Jedi in the timelines/eras we've seen portrayed has. At the time of TOR, we're 300 years after even KOTOR. Styles and the like change. The options you're looking for are there already.

Would love to see the OPs source for his quote 'Star Wars fans HATE the force users gear'.

I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm fine with it. I think the OP means he doesn't like it so it must mean that Star Wars fans in general don't like it.

OP, stop pretending you speak for other people. You don't.

I agree with most points of the OP. I hate the belts over the cloak look. Even if people wanted to explain this look away as a "style that Jedi and sith wore in the old republic" despite the years of source material saying otherwise, that's fine. It's a game and it's cool if they want to branch off in a new direction. But it would be nice if the option to look like we should according the source material the game was based on was in the game. Just a simple robe over the belt would do. Maybe a pair of pants for assassins? The belts make robes look like hoodies + skirts. It's not very "star wars" no matter the period.

I do understand the difficulty for the game designers though. It's got to be tough to make a game with incremental upgrades to equipment give you a visual sense of accomplishment without veering too far from the source. But to leave out a basic look because of this seems odd.