The Root Of All Toxic Players ( Personal opinion )

xdirengrey

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with this is... Yes, I basically agree with all you said, and it sucks. But from my perspective, I'm a fairly new player. I'm no "elite", I have a ton of xp from other MMO, but most of that was in GW1 where my main role was either healer or most often curser - in case you don't know what the curser did, he functioned as target caller. Advanced GW1 PvE often did away with the traditional tank-and-spank formula to opt for partywide protection and multirole functions.

Now when moving into SwTOR I am trying to become a tank, and to my understanding I kinda suck. The problem is that I am being cursed out all the time and the cursing isn't helpful in the slightest - sometimes I figure "yeah, I guess I made a mistake" and other times... no, not so sure. Probably not at all.

My point is that the environment scares people away from the tank and healer roles and that leads to nobody actually gaining any skills.

My problem with this is... Yes, I basically agree with all you said, and it sucks. But from my perspective, I'm a fairly new player. I'm no "elite", I have a ton of xp from other MMO, but most of that was in GW1 where my main role was either healer or most often curser - in case you don't know what the curser did, he functioned as target caller. Advanced GW1 PvE often did away with the traditional tank-and-spank formula to opt for partywide protection and multirole functions.

Now when moving into SwTOR I am trying to become a tank, and to my understanding I kinda suck. The problem is that I am being cursed out all the time and the cursing isn't helpful in the slightest - sometimes I figure "yeah, I guess I made a mistake" and other times... no, not so sure. Probably not at all.

My point is that the environment scares people away from the tank and healer roles and that leads to nobody actually gaining any skills.

Not sure about cursers, but SWTOR does have debuff rotations that need to be worked for harder mobs / bosses. Long long ago it used to be for OPs that you wanted the boss' defenses broken as hard as you could for faster burn before enrage timers kicked in.

On my marauder that's part of my rotations. I debuff, I run my own defenses, and I dps. Helps that I can talk to my group in real time. I call when I am using my debuffs (so the tank knows that once the debuff rotation is done I am going to hit my big attacks with damage booster skills) and there fore the tank should taunt.

I'm not a good tank. I am at best an OK tank. But maybe if you say what class you are playing and what trouble you are having people on this thread can help you out? My only suggestions (knowing nothing about the issues you are having) are make sure you are in tank gear, use your taunts as needed, make sure you are in threat/defensive stance,

and figure out which defenses to hit when.

Elitists who use terms like l2p, baddies, noobs and get good, while spamming chat with "must know tactics and be geared" because they're lying about wanting challenging content and instead want to be carried.

They are a very toxic group and need to be driven out of every single MMO. Nothing will ever please them.

Yesterday on Rep fleet

Me: "Any GF ops?"

10+ people with different replies:

"Go solo it like everyone else"

"Solo it. L2P noob."

etc.

On Rep fleet on different character:

I wanted to try EV HM when I noticed someone looking for fully 216 geared players. Turns out I would need NiM achievements to join. Since there's no way to get NiM achievements for EV anymore...

Edited by Halinalle

On Rep fleet on different character:

I wanted to try EV HM when I noticed someone looking for fully 216 geared players. Turns out I would need NiM achievements to join.

216 is a reasonable ask for HM Ops, even KP/EV... Augments also would be required, but the gear doesn't have to be set bonus gear, blue comms would be fine.

I wouldn't care about your achievements however.

216 is a reasonable ask for HM Ops, even KP/EV... Augments also would be required, but the gear doesn't have to be set bonus gear, blue comms would be fine.

2x 204 relics (augmented)

3x 204 set armorings + 3x 216 set armorings (it's really difficult to get remaining pieces because there's always someone who rolls 97/99 and I just give up at that point even before rolling).

I don't augment earpieces/implants anymore unless I know I will be using that specific implant/earpiece for very long time (216 mk-1 is currently first one I augment, next would be 220 mk-1).

So, basically undergeared.

Edited by Halinalle

2x 204 relics (augmented)

3x 204 set armorings + 3x 216 set armorings (it's really difficult to get remaining pieces because there's always someone who rolls 97/99 and I just give up at that point even before rolling).

I don't augment earpieces/implants anymore unless I know I will be using that specific implant/earpiece for very long time (216 mk-1 is currently first one I augment, next would be 220 mk-1).

So, basically undergeared.

Yes, that would be undergeared. Unless someone is willing to carry you.

Its not uncommon to see undergeared people go to EV/KP HM when the rest of the group is decently geared already. However, having the entire group go in with your described gear level would be a challenge, unless you are all vets and know your stuff inside out. And no, I am not talking about just you know, but the rest of em too.

If we take a pug to our guild run HM/NIM, we take it as an insult if you are trying to join DP in full pvp gear. Its not even about if you can perform with that gear or not, its just a simple "Hi i heard this was a guild run so came unprepared, gief loot" attitude. If you are willing to join starparse and prove you're actually worth something in that gear, sure. Otherwise, no, come back when you're prepared, we didnt form ops to carry pugs with mysterious issue of not being able to connect starparse that particular evening.

Edited by Kiesu

Yes, that would be undergeared. Unless someone is willing to carry you.

Its not uncommon to see undergeared people go to EV/KP HM when the rest of the group is decently geared already. However, having the entire group go in with your described gear level would be a challenge, unless you are all vets and know your stuff inside out. And no, I am not talking about just you know, but the rest of em too.

If we take a pug to our guild run HM/NIM, we take it as an insult if you are trying to join DP in full pvp gear. Its not even about if you can perform with that gear or not, its just a simple "Hi i heard this was a guild run so came unprepared, gief loot" attitude. If you are willing to join starparse and prove you're actually worth something in that gear, sure. Otherwise, no, come back when you're prepared, we didnt form ops to carry pugs with mysterious issue of not being able to connect starparse that particular evening.

Not going to lose autocrit + Energy Shield/Reactive Shield cd reduction just to gain ~72 Mastery (216 armoring has 24 more Mastery than 204) and few hundred HP. Reduction on defensive cooldown is good especially when I have to tank bosses like Gharj and Bonethraser sometimes for some reason... What makes it even more weird is: Gunnery.

Edited by Halinalle

Let us also not forget this level sync thing has made FPs much harder - when you have low-level players with few skills and unbalanced builds playing end-game content, it often doesn't work. Then things go downward spiral very quickly and it is a matter of time before insults start being thrown around and people begin to blame each other. Even if you follow mechanics.

happened to me not long ago in TFP Hammer Station, tank (lvl21), healer(lvl27), dps(lvl37) and me (dps lvl65); gave it a try, wanted to see how far we get,... well it was the second group of mobs lol. no insults there, just told them this wasn't the way i wanted to play the fp and left the group. After 3 wipes and 27k repairs, does that make me toxic?

Not going to lose autocrit + Energy Shield/Reactive Shield cd reduction just to gain ~72 Mastery (216 armoring has 24 more Mastery than 204) and few hundred HP. Reduction on defensive cooldown is good especially when I have to tank bosses like Gharj and Bonethraser sometimes for some reason... What makes it even more weird is: Gunnery.

Just in case you don't know, nothing strange at all about a DPS "tanking" Bonethrasher. Bonethrasher doesn't have an aggro table.

As for Gharj, you shouldn't be tanking him at all past maybe the first big hit in the first 5 seconds. After that the tanks should be on top of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.