Ref links in signatures - yay or nay?

Sigvaldson

This isn't about the specific player in question, just give us a clear answer: is advertising your referral link via your forum signature legal or not? Can you be banned for this or not?

Your, so far, extremely shady actions left aside, just give us a clear and official statement on this.

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing out if you don't bud. Ever since I joined the club of ref link in sig, I get referrals.

Plus, you figure new players probably check out the forums. Seeing the referral link in a sig with "free stuff" probably helps get them into the game which is a plus for BW.

You're missing out if you don't bud. Ever since I joined the club of ref link in sig, I get referrals.

Plus, you figure new players probably check out the forums. Seeing the referral link in a sig with "free stuff" probably helps get them into the game which is a plus for BW.

You are missing the point. Bioware said we can do it a long while back (check Eric's post history) and it has been in our sigs for a while. Now CS is banning accounts citing that ref links in signatures is against the rules.

They also deleted a major post about it showing all the CS statements and subsequent banning from it.

Edited by Holocron

You are missing the point. Bioware said we can do it a long while back (check Eric's post history) and it has been in our sigs for a while. Now CS is banning accounts citing that ref links in signatures is against the rules.

They also deleted a major post about it showing all the CS statements and subsequent banning from it.

I suspect that, as with most "I was unjustly banned" complaints, there's a part of that story that was conveniently omitted.

The last "official" word on it is that links ARE allowed in your signature.

While I don't know specifically how BioWare operates, CS for most MMO's doesn't deal with the forums and they're run as two entirely separate entities.

Typically, for forum behavior to cause an in-game suspension, the issue had to be escalated through the community manager to a CS manager who would then enact the game ban.

Conversely, Customer Service doesn't deal with forum behavior since that's what moderators are for.

Their system may be set up in such a way that a game ban also locks you out of the forum, but it's doubtful that CS is actually punishing people for things happening on the forum.

As I said in the other thread that went poof:

Isnt the guy that said he got nabbed -also- the same guy who was bragging it up in -multiple- threads, including the "Downtime Funtime" thread that had so many people reading it that it blew up the forums, that he had 250,000 CC from referral grants?

Im pretty sure some guy shouting from the rooftops "HEY GUYS I GOT A QUARTER MILLION CC FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE1!1!1!1" would definitly get the bean counters scrutiny...

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Isnt the guy that said he got nabbed -also- the same guy who was bragging it up in -multiple- threads, including the "Downtime Funtime" thread that had so many people reading it that it blew up the forums, that he had 250,000 CC from referral grants?

Im pretty sure some guy shouting from the rooftops "HEY GUYS I GOT A QUARTER MILLION CC FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE1!1!1!1" would definitly get the bean counters scrutiny...

The first rule of Referral Club is......

You all know the rest! :jawa_tongue:

I'm would like to know if they feel this is against the rules too.

Yeah but he didn't violate any rules. Simply put Bioware didn't want honor their end and pay up. It could happen to any of us, and that is what is scary, and also why it needs clarification.

I suspect that, as with most "I was unjustly banned" complaints, there's a part of that story that was conveniently omitted.

The last "official" word on it is that links ARE allowed in your signature.

Snipped for that first part.

There is a way to modify the raf link so it bypasses the accept/decline option.

That, I believe, breaks the tos. The modification made it so people could not say 'no' to being linked to someone else's account if they didn't want to be. If any of the banned accounts were pulling this, it should not be a surprise that they're gone.

Do we know if that guy is one who's been doing that? Do we know if he has in the past? Do we know if they've edited his forum sig since then to remove the modified link so it doesnt hit anyone else?

Edited by Manathayria

• Dev Post
This isn't about the specific player in question, just give us a clear answer: is advertising your referral link via your forum signature legal or not? Can you be banned for this or not?

Your, so far, extremely shady actions left aside, just give us a clear and official statement on this.

Thanks.

Hey there,

Having your referral link in your signature is a perfect place for it, and is in no way against the rules. We won't take any action against someone who has a referral link in their signature, so go for it!

A referral link can only get you into trouble if you are spamming it in threads/posts around the forums. That is something we consider against the rules. I hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

Hey there,

Having your referral link in your signature is a perfect place for it, and is in no way against the rules. We won't take any action against someone who has a referral link in their signature, so go for it!

A referral link can only get you into trouble if you are spamming it in threads/posts around the forums. That is something we consider against the rules. I hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

Thank you for the clarification. I am sure there are many folks that will appreciate it.

Hey there,

-eric

Thank you for the prompt response Eric! I'd like to see more of these on certain issues that are posted. And by the way, will those of us who got the makeb achievement but didn't get the gazebo decoration ever get it fixed at this point?

Edited by Holocron

Hey there,

-eric

Thank you for the update Eric much appreciated. :)

Hey there,

-eric

Thank youi.

Hey there,

-eric

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks again, Eric, you can close the thread if you want to :)

Hey there,

-eric

Thank you Eric! I will be able to get a full night's sleep tonight! :rak_grin: