Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ganking On Harbinger (PVE Server)/Rules For PvP On PVE Server

AylaL

I have been wondering if there are any rules regarding ganking players on a pve server, in my case the harbinger server even though i had no wish to engage in pvp. Two players from the republic faction have already ganked me and been reported as i consider this intentional harassment, especially since i whispered them on one of my pub characters and am now convinced that was precisely their intent. And no i am only trying to understand if there are rules of the aforementioned on pve servers which does not make me a troll. Edited by AylaL

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally there are no specific rules. If you're flagged, you're flagged, and will just have to wait in a safe zone. Outlaw's den and the Gree event are the two places where OWPVP is definitely allowed and encouraged regardless of server. I think if it's one or two gankers Customer service won't do much of anything, since you can do that wait time, but I imagine if it's an entire guild just doing it for the lulz (and not doing Battlemasters) then who knows, maybe the CS's discretion.

I have been wondering if there are any rules regarding ganking players on a pve server, in my case the harbinger server even though i had no wish to engage in pvp. Two players from the republic faction have already ganked me and been reported as i consider this intentional harassment, especially since i whispered them on one of my pub characters and am now convinced that was precisely their intent. And no i am only trying to understand if there are rules of the aforementioned on pve servers which does not make me a troll.

Well, the question is why you got flagged. Were you in a PvP on area? Or was it a flag that just hadn't turned off?

If you get ganked, find a place to wait out the timer until the PvP flag drops off.

Never log in a character to talk to them. Chances are good, you sending them a whisper saying please don't hurt me is just going to make them want to do it even more.

Well, the question is why you got flagged. Were you in a PvP on area? Or was it a flag that just hadn't turned off?

If you get ganked, find a place to wait out the timer until the PvP flag drops off.

Never log in a character to talk to them. Chances are good, you sending them a whisper saying please don't hurt me is just going to make them want to do it even more.

Both times it was in the rakghoul tunnels, which as far as i can see is not a pvp area. And yes it was a flag i hadn't gotten around to turning off as i was busy helping some players. And i only whispered them to figure out why they did it, no please don't attack me nothing.

Edited by AylaL

Both times it was in the rakghoul tunnels, which as far as i can see is not a pvp area. And yes it was a flag i hadn't gotten around to turning off as i was busy helping some players. And i only whispered them to figure out why they did it, no please don't attack me nothing.

As long as you are PvP flagged you are free game. Doesn't matter if you forgot to turn it off or not, still your own responsibility to make sure you are not PvP flagged.

One thing you can do if you get flagged:

1. Click on the Galactic Starfighter icon next to your minimap.

2. Start the tutorial.

3. Quit out of the tutorial.

It should immediately remove your PvP flag without having to wait.

Edited by Khevar

One thing you can do if you get flagged:

1. Click on the Galactic Starfighter icon next to your minimap.

2. Start the tutorial.

3. Quit out of the tutorial.

It should immediately remove your PvP flag without having to wait.

Huh i never even knew that, thanks.

If you do not want to be attacked on a PvE server, do not leave safe areas while flagged for PvP. Period. It is not the responsibility of other players to second guess your intentions when you are walking around with the equivalent of a sign over your head that says "READY TO FIGHT."

Incidentally, filing reports against people who are participating in normal gameplay could be construed as harassment. They did not do anything wrong. You were flagged and in an area where combat could take place. They were playing the game, the same game that you were playing, with the exact same rules.

I totally understand that you do not want to participate in PvP, but you can't have it both ways. You can't assume that every player knows you by sight and recognizes that you are just a peaceful, helpful person despite the fact that you are flagged for PvP.

If you don't want to participate in PvP, don't walk around flagged.

If you do not want to be attacked on a PvE server, do not leave safe areas while flagged for PvP. Period. It is not the responsibility of other players to second guess your intentions when you are walking around with the equivalent of a sign over your head that says "READY TO FIGHT."

Incidentally, filing reports against people who are participating in normal gameplay could be construed as harassment. They did not do anything wrong. You were flagged and in an area where combat could take place. They were playing the game, the same game that you were playing, with the exact same rules.

I totally understand that you do not want to participate in PvP, but you can't have it both ways. You can't assume that every player knows you by sight and recognizes that you are just a peaceful, helpful person despite the fact that you are flagged for PvP.

If you don't want to participate in PvP, don't walk around flagged.

I know, my only concern is if they had asked first instead of going oh hey look there's a player with a big target on their back. It just seems like common courtesy has been completely thrown out the window nowadays.

I know, my only concern is if they had asked first instead of going oh hey look there's a player with a big target on their back. It just seems like common courtesy has been completely thrown out the window nowadays.

They are under no obligation to "ask first." If you are walking around flagged for PvP, you've already given them permission to attack. This has nothing to do with common courtesy, or the lack thereof. This is simply your misinterpretation of game rules, and the consequences of that.

You can also hit U and go sit it out in your SH. It has been said enough about being flagged. Besides 2 against one shows they did a packet check and came out epic fail. Always seems to take a few against one. Then what can you expect from cowards.

If you're flagged, you're flagged. There's no "I didn't get around to turning it off." You were flagged, you're fair game.

There is no "asking first." Flagging for PvP means consenting to PvP, whether or not the circumstances are to your liking.

You gave permission by being flagged. That is what the PVP flag is for. When you flag yourself for PVP, you're giving anyone and everyone from the opposing faction permission to attack you.

The fault here lies with you I'm afraid, and not with the two people who attacked you.

That said, there are some people who use exploits to get people to unintentionally flag themselves for PVP, and then pounce on them...often with two or three other players aiding them. That is the definition of griefing. But from the sound of it, that wasn't the problem you ran into.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

PVP kills in Rak tunnels is also an achievement. PVE servers are a bit harder to get the stupid kill count on an event that roles around only so often. Hence the repeated ganking if you are flagged.

Not interested in being PVP farmed... get that FLAG off and you should be good to go.

If you're flagged, you're flagged. There's no "I didn't get around to turning it off." You were flagged, you're fair game.

Yeah that's cool when you are a healer, you respond to a "need heals for H4" only to end flagged for PvP because you healed one of the group members who happens to be a PvPer and then you are fresh meat for the whole time you are trying to complete the heroic. That's so cool, right?

Edited by demotivator

Yeah that's cool when you are a healer, you respond to a "need heals for H4" only to end flagged for PvP because you healed one of the group members who happens to be a PvPer and then you are fresh meat for the whole time you are trying to complete the heroic. That's so cool, right?

Simple solution:

If you don't want to be flagged by healing a team mate, tell them to lose the flag before u start the heroic. Or ask when calling LFG for 'unflagged' players only.

:eek:

When joining a group, check that everyone in the group has their names shown in blue color. If anyone is green, ask them to drop a flag. Upon refusal, drop the group if you do not want to be backstabbed by stealth while you trying to heal in the backline. I have had it happen on a world boss at Ilum, and it is simply annoying. Now, we coped by calling in PvP reinforcements to go gank the gankers while the victims respawned and cleared the flags, and still got the boss down without interrupting the fight, but in 4M heroic it would be harder.

But if you are not ready for PvP, clearing the flag immediately is a paramount. Move to stronghold and use the GSF tutorial, then come right back where you were. Do not go into GSF tutorial on the spot. It still takes a few seconds to access it.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am sorry, but two PvP-geared stealth ganking a PvE-geared healer who is healing a Heroic may be within the rules, but certainly not anything that can be considered an honorable fight.

Still, anyone on a non-PvP server needs to know how to remove the flag and immediately drop it to not give the gankers the slimmest chance to do their thing. Fight the gankers by not being flagged, not by reporting them to BioWARE.

Edited by DomiSotto

I am sorry, but two PvP-geared stealth ganking a PvE-geared healer who is healing a Heroic may be within the rules, but certainly not anything that can be considered an honorable fight.

Still, anyone on a non-PvP server needs to know how to remove the flag and immediately drop it to not give the gankers the slimmest chance to do their thing.

Honor isn't relevant in the context of OP's complaint and you know that as well as I do.

Proper self-management is the only thing that matters as you said. Expecting to rely on strangers in a video game to do things the way we want consistently is the definition of unrealistic.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.