The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BW is testing us with the new Packs - push back against it

KaleTogras

The items from the Anarchist pack are some of the nicest looking in recent time...and therein lies the rub. The way I see it, BW hoped to dangle the pack content like a jingling set of keys to distract us from the real purpose of the pack - testing the Grand Chance Cube system.

The GCCs strike me as the latest in a long list of unfortunate attempts by BW to look at their biggest CM cash cow and figure out how to squeeze more money from it, while giving the consumers less and less value. First, it was the removal of previous packs from CM to minimize the chance of us getting cheap rare items on GTN. Then it was the reduction of the number and types of items from individual packs. Finally, now, it's hiding the lower-than-ever chances of getting new items by mixing them with ALL old emotes, toys, dyes, the works! And it's not like the GCC offers more items so that we have a 4 - 6 random rolls to get an item we want - you roll twice and enjoy your Ball Toss and green-white dye module.

In the word of Xzibit: "Yo dawg. I heard you like packs, so I put a pack in your pack so you can gamble while you gamble"

Are there players who got the Rancor and the Saber in their first pack? Probably one. Maybe two tops. But pointing to the few winners to justify a system designed to create as many losers as possible is a poor excuse. The new Packs were designed to test the stingiest, least-value system of gambling in SWTOR's history, and that's saying something.

I am not one to spend real money on Cartel Coins, so my protest bears little weight. I will continue buying everything on GTN. But I do encourage everybody to boycott the Anarchist pack in its current form. Yes, the items are lovely - buy them from other players who already bought the Hypercrates. Sure, the prices will become astronomical, but BW will get the message and we should be able to get the old Packs, such as they were. Send a sign that we have our limits - and that BW should value your money as much as you do.

As a person that has spent real money on the packs I can say I was left with a high sense of disappointment. I was excited about the packs within the packs but when I got a bag full of bronze emotes, title, dyes and very few weapons, decorations, and armor sets. In addition the armor sets I got are basically vendor trash (I am looking at you Thrull Statesman Armor set).

I expected some trash. I was not expecting to be spending my time figuring out how i can dump 95% of the stuff for a SLIGHT profit rather than figuring out which one of my toons the items would look best on.

I loved the Gold/Silver/Bronze pack. With them I could focus my roll to stuff i actually like (armor, weapons, mounts). I was never disappointed when opening those even when I got a vendor trash Bronze because I knew what I was in for when I bought the Bronze. When I get a hypercrate now I am expecting a few cool things, now it seems like I get hosed.

I will not be spending money on them until they change. I would rather save up for the hope of the G/S/B stuff returning than waste it.

As client and buyer I feel not only disappointed. I feel cheated.

And I'm saying to all my guildies and friends that they shouldn't waste their money on new packs.

We are no fools BW. We are discerning customers as your old CM title says... :rolleyes:

Edited by Hyara

307 packs opened not one lightsaber. If this is working as intended I am afraid this is the last time I will participate.

Blah blah gambling, yeah I know. I think it is still an unreasonably low chance when you are asking your customers to anti up with real world cash. Random is fine with me, if you want to set the drop rate to 4 shipments (120 packs) I can live with that rate but 10+ Hypercrates/307 pack without a single drop is an absurd hurdle for most of your customers to meet.

On this issue I feel quite comfortable expressing my dissatisfaction.

Seriously, there are many ways to handle the back end programming so that they can get to their target $$ for a pack and still have the customers walk away with some sense of satisfaction from the transaction.

Without serious changes I will now rely on the CM for 'select' items and not worry about being a collector.

I agree with all of you. When I but a new pack, it's because I want items out of THE NEW PACK. The entire idea of getting two chances at old things INSTEAD is abhorrent to this, and it happened more than once in the hypercrate I bought.

BW, if you offer new stuff, and we buy new stuff, has it not occurred to you that we might want to receive THE NEW STUFF? If you want to offer "grand chance cubes", which are cool I admit, do so as you have done so in the past: by letting us buy a grand chance cube off the cartel market intentionally (as a grand pack).

Additionally, get the bronze items out of the grand chance cubes. No one, and I mean NO ONE, wants to pay top dollar for 2 random items that we didn't want years ago, either, much less now. Just take the top armor sets in the game, maybe 2 dozen of them, create a chance cube with those on a random roll, and charge accordingly for each pack. We'd happily buy them. Release new packs full of new items, and we'll pay accordingly for them.

This bait and switch, however, is bull, and you're pissing us off.

I'm actually glad I ran across these threads while checking the forum for unrelated reasons.

I was just about to sink the coins I've saved up from being a sub into some of the new packs but seeing this has made me decided to hold on to them for the foreseeable future.

Is there anyone else like me that after spending $50USD or more on the packs and getting 99% junk, your enjoyment of SWTOR suddenly just disappears leaving you with a sense of disappointment and ***-ness?

I depressed quit to desktop 3 days ago and now even if I log in back, I just run around in circles at base then quit and go play XCom 2. But mostly I just play XCom 2.

It is like I am waiting for something to hype me up again to play SWTOR. Something like they upgrading retroly the packs or sending us an apology item and post.... Just something....

On other news. XCom 2 is epic-ly fun!!!

Is there anyone else like me that after spending $50USD or more on the packs and getting 99% junk, your enjoyment of SWTOR suddenly just disappears leaving you with a sense of disappointment and ***-ness?

I depressed quit to desktop 3 days ago and now even if I log in back, I just run around in circles at base then quit and go play XCom 2. But mostly I just play XCom 2.

It is like I am waiting for something to hype me up again to play SWTOR. Something like they upgrading retroly the packs or sending us an apology item and post.... Just something....

On other news. XCom 2 is epic-ly fun!!!

YES! ABSOLUTELY!

I feel your pain brother (or sister as the case may be), and I know what you mean!

My other go to recently has been STO. I don't care to admit how much more time I've been spending driving ships for Starfleet than I have visiting a galaxy far far away.

I have never spent real money on CC with the intent of buying packs with it. I'm a sub for gameplay reasons; the game at Preferred status just isn't fun for me. I sub for the full experience and don't regret that.

I also have a security key so I'm getting 600 cartel coins per month for free. (That's how I look at it. YMMV) Most of the time, I find a decent-looking bronze quality armor set on the GTN and use those coins to unlock it for alts. The Collections tool has been really handy for finding those ahead of time, BTW. My biggest disappointment with this pack was the removal of those bronze armor sets. I get that RNG means I won't pull a lightsaber in 4 packs. I didn't expect it. Really, I'm not out anything at all. But part of what I enjoyed was seeing the 'less valuable' armor sets, and being able to pick them up. Things like the Overwatch Enforcer set. I don't like the helmet, but you know what the set has to recommend it? A really sweet cape. Not many sets have a good cape.

When I throw the dye mods into things, it really expands the options. Sets that previously I had discounted, now take on a whole new life. And part of it is, I don't want to spend a ton of CC unlocking a super rare armor set; I did it for Revanite Vindicator and a couple silvers, but most of them have been bronze. Much more economical.

Considering this is marketed as the "Anarchist's" Pack.. it's appalling how little from the actual Anarchist's items I actually got from a hypercrate.

I honestly feel cheated by this, I get it's a new idea and all.. but I wanted items from this pack, not crap from other packs. Could you maybe actually market test this sort of crap before you rob your players of money? I mean out of 30 packs, I maybe got 6 or 7 items related to THIS pack, and an assload of cubes, many packs were two at a time, and from them I got two sets of armor, neither anything I'd want or will likely be able to sell.. and probably four or five of the same Starforge assault cannon.. because it's only used by one version of one class, and I really need four copies of something I already have, from a pack from last year when I'm buying from a NEW PACK....

Not to mention, taking the basic Vibrosword and splitting it between main hand, and offhand? Seriously?