I don;t understand the back story of Knights of the Fallen Empire.

VinUnleaded

Despite playing the expansion for the first time this weekend, and reading the website and videos, who the heck is the old guy in white with the beard and Sith eyes?

AM I correct that somehow the Empire and Alliance are friends now?

Only thing else I could figure out was the two twins are test tube babies, and one killed the other for trying to kill their father.

No idea why and how this all came about.

Despite playing the expansion for the first time this weekend, and reading the website and videos, who the heck is the old guy in white with the beard and Sith eyes?

AM I correct that somehow the Empire and Alliance are friends now?

Only thing else I could figure out was the two twins are test tube babies, and one killed the other for trying to kill their father.

No idea why and how this all came about.

Old guy with white hair is Valkorian, who MAY be the old Sith Emperor. Probably is, but is taking a different approach.

Empire and Republic are NOT friends, you are building a rebel alliance to fight Arcanns Eternal Empire using anyone you can get to join, Repub or Imp.

You played it, but think the twins are test the babies? Did you space bar all the dialogue? One of your new companions is thier MOTHER

and one killed the other for trying to kill their father.

The post above dealt with a bit fragmentary understanding, but this point I should address to - that was the opposite, actually. Arcann tried to kill their father, Thexan tried to prevent it - and it was Thexan who got killed, not his more agressive brother.

SWtOR is set thousands of years before the movies so there is no rebel alliance but rather a fully formed republic (the same one that was still thriving at the start of the prequel movies) and the sith empire. They are enemies but a third party which is the empire of Zakuul rose up and beat both the republic and the empire(who even so still fight each other instead of Zakuul). The sith emperor is immortal and has possessed many bodies (though you don't find out about it until KotFE) one of which was killed by the Jedi knight. Everyone thought the emperor killed by the jedi knight was the only one and that he became a spirit afterwards (we learn later that Valkorion the immortal emperor of Zakuul was another of his bodies).

In spirit form he sucked all the life out of every living thing on a planet called Ziost to gain a true immortality/understanding of life/whatever. An alliance from both the empire and republic was formed to try to hunt down the emperor and put him down for good. The twins in the trailer (and their crazy sister) are the kids of Valkorion/the former sith emperor/the guy with sith eyes and a beard and Arcann (the one with the missing arm and burnt face) tried to kill their father but his brother Thexan tried to stop him and was killed.

The sith emperor is immortal and has possessed many bodies (though you don't find out about it until KotFE) one of which was killed by the Jedi knight. Everyone thought the emperor killed by the jedi knight was the only one and that he became a spirit afterwards (we learn later that Valkorion the immortal emperor of Zakuul was another of his bodies).

It's reasonable to argue that:

The SW learns about the body-hopping thing in the interchapter sequence between Chapter Two and Chapter Three as he is recruited by the Hand, or at the very latest on his way to Voss.

It's reasonable to argue that:

The SW learns about the body-hopping thing in the interchapter sequence between Chapter Two and Chapter Three as he is recruited by the Hand, or at the very latest on his way to Voss.

True, though everyone else learns later.