Maintenance: 9 February 2016

TaitWatson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to catch any problems at the beginning than later on. I'm honestly relieved that this happened. This just means that when the servers are back up there will be less of a chance that a bug will mess up anything or that the game crashes. Thank you for al the amazing work you guys do!

Wouldn't the simple thing to do be to just kill the mission completely until they figure out what's wrong and just put it back in a future patch when it gets fixed? One would think that the software would have been designed such that the missions are referenced by a table or database such that blocking access or entry to any mission would be configurable without accessing the code. Any entry into the area would be like what happens when the Rakghoul :rak_04: Event ends and you enter the area -- you get kicked back to the fleet.

Makes me wonder if there is a much more serious problem with 4.1 than is being adverstised.

If they modified the Database-Sheme and this got ****ed up they can't and likely need to restore it from a Backup. This could take that long.. :-)

Quote: Originally Posted by Jotan_Horn View Post

Oh ye of little faith: MMORPGs have been around a lot longer than that... try since the 1970s... they were played on tables and used dice and dungeon masters to play....

Those were neither "massively" nor "online". Those were neither "massively" nor "online".

Ahh, but since they were created before the internet, doesn't that mean they were "online" for their time period? Just trying to be funny and make someone laugh during these dark times.... :cool:

The term "redneck" is not a political party, though. And honestly, it's a stereotype that is unfortunately more true than it is not.

Thanks for the honesty... but that's what makes a stereotype... so thanks for pointing out the obvious.

How many Subscribers will be receiving their brand new HK-55 Jetpack on Tuesday? Stay tuned for next month's reward!

answer. NONE

Are you ready for the Unstable Arbiter's Lightsaber? Get yours on Tuesday(Just not if you're European) with the Cartel Market's Anarchist Pack!

One day (possibly 2 BUGS YAY) until the Outlander teams up with Firebrand in Chapter 10: Early Access! Info

At this point it's not a patch needed... enough bugs for an exterminator.

Anyone still surprised at this point?? Green streams all over your landscape anyone?

are you plagiarizing or slow?

Hey folks!

I have some updated information. We have a possible fix which we are now moving to test fully on the live servers. Best case scenario, the servers are live within an hour! That means that the next time you hear from me will be an update on the current status of the fix, or that the servers are live.

-eric

Just for the record, we've now heard from you 8 times. :)

Edited by Juric

Well... This is a SECOND major blunder in one month. First the log in server issue, now the 10 hours + maintenance.

I've played a few MMOS to this day and I have to say this is a record for bad service in my case. And it is a game that allows subscriptions...

I like this game, I wanted it to run for a long time and be successful, unfortunately even with the latest Star Wars popularity it is not looking good - people don't want to sub to a game that does not work properly and takes its user base for granted - we did not get any compensation or apologies for the log in mess and we are not likely to get anything for this inconvenience either.

To make the matters worse the "episodic release" system for content means that we have a lot more of this to look forward to... Dear EA and Bioware, to run a successful mmo you need to make sure it is WORKING, to get it working you need to hire people who can actually run it. You can't afford this issues on top of everything else.

The term "redneck" is not a political party, though. And honestly, it's a stereotype that is unfortunately more true than it is not.

The irony is that the term "redneck" was a prized name when it was created during the coal miner wars in West Virginia and Virginia. Anyone that likes to say that uncontrolled corporate power is a good thing, should really look that up.

MUD was the first MMO. it came out in the 1980s and was called Mutli-User Dungeon. it was a Text based dungeon crawler game with multilayer and was the springboard on which Ultima Online and Everquest and most MMO's today would come from.

I believe he was referring to 3D graphical, not text based, could be wrong.

Not how things work in the IT/dev world - not with a revenue costing event. No servers, no Cartel Market purchases. Usually in a major incident/DR event, they have estimates on how much revenue they are losing per hour. Those numbers will be brought up on the phone in every single conference call surrounding this outage.

NO ONE is sleeping tonight if this is still not fixed at COB...

(once worked at a company where the hourly estimate on loss was $1M/hour - it was all hands on deck for 30 straight hours - whether that number was realistic or not, that was the number constantly repeated on the calls)

1 MILLION per hour? What the hell? The company you worked at would have an yearly production worth of roughly 4-12 billion then, depending on the method of calculation.