The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR on Linux - PlayOnLinux

kookoolet

Hello,

I was searching the posts about swtor on Linux and could not find something updated recently so i decided to make my own post and ask you some questions.

i have installed SWTOR in POL on Linux Mint and after some issues i managed to make it run. Unfortunately the game crashes when i mouse over the Mission names, or zones on map and some other things. Was anyone able to solve those issues?

The swtor page on the PlayOnLinux page is kind of dead lately. I thought maybe someone here found a solution to this. It is kind of hard playing the game and have it crash every 5 or 10 min (i am careful not to mouse over the missions and stuff but it happens.

There are many workarounds online to get various games to run on Linux, but MMOs like SWTOR are always going to be a problem.

Even if you get it running today, it is just a patch away from breaking. With a single player off-line game, you can keep it in a fixed state, once running, you can leave it. You can't do that here.

I suspect you'll be forever fighting it. I wish you luck, but frankly getting SWTOR to run on anything other than Windows sounds like work to me. :)

There are many workarounds online to get various games to run on Linux, but MMOs like SWTOR are always going to be a problem.

Even if you get it running today, it is just a patch away from breaking. With a single player off-line game, you can keep it in a fixed state, once running, you can leave it. You can't do that here.

I suspect you'll be forever fighting it. I wish you luck, but frankly getting SWTOR to run on anything other than Windows sounds like work to me. :)

I was afraid of that answer. :( Well too bad, it is a nice game. I have ended my subscription since I do not intend to pay Windoze as well to play SWTOR. Ill be back when they release a Linux client.

Thanks for your answers.

I was afraid of that answer. :( Well too bad, it is a nice game. I have ended my subscription since I do not intend to pay Windoze as well to play SWTOR. Ill be back when they release a Linux client.

Thanks for your answers.

You're welcome... of course I'm just one opinion, so if others have had better luck, then by all means, go for it...

I will caution you that the odds of a Linux client are just about zero... :(

I don't have Flash installed in native Windows. SWTOR doesn't depend on Flash Player.

You probably shouldn't either, it's a favorite target for drive-by download-and-installs.

Oh, I know. There's a lot less call for it these days, with HTML5 taking over most of what Flash did. I still keep it around for when I go to older websites, though I have my browser set to not load Flash elements until I give the go-ahead to do so.