New classes: a third path

PresentTense

I realize the idea of new classes has been covered to death on here, but stick with me.

In my opinion, adding new base classes in addition to the original eight would be the best development for long-term players, like myself, who are sitting on 16+ toons. However, it's become clear that the devs don't have the interest, funding or manpower to implement new classes that include complete new 1-50 vanilla story lines. The voice acting alone, let alone the potential for new starting planets, would be a huge investment at a time when they're focused on content at level 60 and up.

The next suggestion I've seen come out a lot is the idea of new advanced classes for the existing eight classes. This seems quite a bit more doable; it doesn't require any new voiced parts, story lines, or planets; just some new animations and some effort to balance the new ACs with those that already exist. However, this idea has been floating around for years with no progress.

However, there is a third way the devs could add new classes that wouldn't affect the 1-50 game at all: veteran classes. Veteran classes would require the use of a start-at-60 token; they would only be available for KOTFE forward. In addition to being moneymakers on the cartel market, veteran classes would offer new play styles for long-term players while still being interesting for newcomers.

That could mean playing as a Sixth Line Jedi, a member of Sith Intelligence, an Imperial Trooper, an SIS Agent, a Green Jedi, a gangster who leads one of the various in-game organizations, or anything else. KOTFE already forces everyone down the same story line, so why not offer some variation? Any of those characters could step out of carbonite; if Lana's rescuing bounty hunters and smugglers, she seems to not have a lot of preference in who she saves.

Sure, it would take a revision to KOTFE chapters 1 and 2, since these characters would not have their own companions. But other than that, it would be a quick and easy way to introduce new classes going forward. I completely agree it's not as good as new classes that start at level 1 or new ACs for existing classes, but it's better than nothing, which is what we have now.

Edited by PresentTense

So they add new classes, but I have to choose just one to play because I'll be damned if I'm spending CC on Insta-60 tokens. This would move the Cartel Market beyond the realm of "vanity" items and into pay-to-win. I'm not totally opposed to making any new classes or advanced classes open to subs only. Just sever that link to the CM.

EA said a long time ago that they were expending no more money in class storylines, the suggestion it's cool and I would love it, but if they aren't caring even for continuing the ones we currently have I see even more improbable to make storylines for new ones :(

EA said a long time ago that they were expending no more money in class storylines, the suggestion it's cool and I would love it, but if they aren't caring even for continuing the ones we currently have I see even more improbable to make storylines for new ones :(

That's the point, though; this doesn't add any new story lines. These classes would be required to start at 60, where every class merges into being the Outlander. They would have no individual class stories.

I'm not a fan of new base classes, but it WOULD be nice to have a new Advanced Class for each type of character, or maybe 1 more Discipline Path for each AC.

However, I know the sheer volume of work it would take to do so will probably never happen.

But what about cosmetic class customization?

Here's what I mean: We have a TON of character animations already in the game that only rarely see the light of day. What if we have the option of switching the animation of a LIMITED number of our base class abilities for a different animation. There would be constraints, so abilities that defined a Discipline Path couldn't be altered, particularly since visual cueing is so important to PvP.

But for minor things, why not? For example, I always play the most "martial artsy" melee spec I can find. I went with a Guardian as opposed to a Scrapper because of Force Kick and Cyclone Slash (along with Hilt Strike if I decide to tank). But what if I could switch out the animation of my basic attack (Strike) for one of the animations used by the Legacy punches? Wouldn't that be cool as heck?

And to continue this little thought experiment, there are a LOT of really good kicking animations in some of the cutscenes. It's a shame for that gorgeous spinning back kick in the Sith Warrior story to go to waste, among others.

And the same would apply to other character types as well. There's a TON of customization we could wring out of being able to customize the animations of 2 or 3 of our basic abilities. And if there's one thing EAWare has learned the hard way, it's that their player base LOVES customization and doesn't mind paying for it.

Everyone would win. They'd get to milk us out of our money, and we'd get a level of class customization that these types of MMOs generally don't have.

Whaddya' think?

:)

Alright, let's explore the concept of a subscriber bonus that allows us to play a new level 60 class in KOTFE. It has to be subscribers only because non-subs don't get KOTFE. As I said, I'm fine excluding all the players who don't subscribe. Also, as I said, it can't be based on using an Insta-60 token because that converts the Cartel Market from a toy shop into a content vendor ... which is bad. So bad that it's the only way I would ever cancel my subscription. Even when I know I won't play SWTOR for six months, I remain subbed. But the day they make new classes available solely via the CM is the day I not only unsub ... it's the day I uninstall.

I'm not opposed to gating access to these new classes behind elements one may achieve by (a) being subbed and (b) playing the game. Perhaps lock the new Jedi class behind completing both Jedi class stories, etc. Once I complete the Consular and Knight stories, I get a new option at character creation to make a level 60 Jedi Longshoreman (or whatever).

Now, how many of these new classes do we expect EA/BW to make? Four? Eight? Sixteen? Sixty-four? How many is enough to satisfy everyone and avoid the onslaught of "They need to add Swoop Bike Mechanic as a new class!" forum posts?

Next, I assume we can all agree that the most efficient way to create a stable of new classes is to poach class skills from the existing ones. The new Jedi Robe-Model could have both Force Quake and Saber Toss. It's not like EA/BW will want to invest a lot of money into new skills or animations programming.

As for Companions, once in KOTFE, they're the same, so no worries.

Any other aspects of this idea we need to workshop?

Now, how many of these new classes do we expect EA/BW to make? Four? Eight? Sixteen? Sixty-four? How many is enough to satisfy everyone and avoid the onslaught of "They need to add Swoop Bike Mechanic as a new class!" forum posts?

At this point, I don't think it really matters. Effectively, they're acting as skins for the Outlander. Since they would have no backstories, personalized companions or specialized dialogue, the only hurdle is balancing the classes with those that already exist. (Heck, you can even lock them out of PVP for all I care; then balance doesn't even matter.) I would assume they would start with a couple per faction, but the investment into adding more would be limited.

NEW CLASS!!

Civilian Class:

MUST CHOOSE ADVANCED SPECIALIZATION AT LEVEL 1.

Republic or Imperial, choose side after starting planet.

Advanced Specializations:

Shoe Cleaner: Open a shop in cities around the galaxy, or on the fleet ship.

Armour Repair Shop Operator: Open a shop in cities around the galaxy, or on the fleet ship.

Star Ship Washer Company Owner: Open a shop in cities around the galaxy, or on the fleet ship.

Starting Planet: some neutral planet in the outer rim.

Objective of the class is to choose a specialization and learn that trade on the starting planet, then depending on what faction you choose you open a little shop of your advanced class. Imps would start on Dromand Kass, and Reps would start on Corasaunt. Costs lots of money to open the shop and you would never make any real credits but you can easily drain all the credits from your main/alt characters. You can pay credits to buy droids to walk around and advertise your shop, also the cartel market will sell tokens so you can advertise your buisness on bill boards around town. Once you spend X amount of credits/CC you can open a shop in other cities and on the fleet ships.

I would love any of this stuff mentioned.

It'll never happen.

Although adding to the game only makes the game grow and last longer, Bioware seems content to just milk as much money out of us without actually INVESTING a decent amount of coin into the game.

If this game didn't have "Star Wars" in the name, I have no doubt it would have been abandoned by now.