PvP/GSF suggestion

TRFWesVos

Bioware has been forcing me to PvP if I want to pick up Pierce or M1-4X. I don't like PvP. However, being in matches has given me an idea, which was well received by the GSF community on TEH, at least. The idea is this: create a PvP game type that combines elements of ground PvP and GSF. One possibility would be a large map with several ground-to-air turrets. Ground PvPers would have the responsibility of taking and holding the turrets, while GSFers would have to fly cover and attempt to destroy enemy turrets (and enemy players) from the air. Turrets would run on a similar AI to current GSF domination matches, so they'll be shooting at the fighters trying to take them out. There are also other possibilities - a ship assault, for example, where ground PvPers are the assault team, taking and holding hard points, while GSFers fly cover and attempt to take out enemy hard points.

ADVANTAGES:

1) Creates some more interest in GSF.

2) Gives Strike Fighters a role in space combat, as they would be the primary turret destroyers.

3) Creates a very Star Wars style atmosphere, with ground and space forces collaborating.

4) Gives PvPers a new map.

5) Gives GSFers a new map and game style.

6) Creates a bridge between the two versions of PvP in the game.

DISADVANTAGES:

1) Large map size (at least for the first suggestion). For ground PvP, this is bad, as they'll spend a lot of time running from place to place. A counter to this could be to allow speeder piloting for ground forces, or to allow some sort of transportation system from point to point. That could give GSF pilots another target/defense point.

2) Requires GSF and PvP to work together. Hopefully, this wouldn't be a disadvantage for long, but at first the two communities probably would not mesh well.

3) Takes resources. Everybody complains about Bioware pulling resources from their favorite area to expand the game in another area. Not much I can say to this, except that GSF hasn't had a bone thrown to them in a long while, and PvP could use something new as well. This would make both communities quite pleased.

So, thoughts?

Expensive. Simpler would be to make GSF an option for the companion quest.

It would be fun, though. The controls for Battlefront II space combat weren't really meant for keyboard+mouse.

It still wouldn't help strikes, because gunships would still be better turret killers.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

Agreed, it would be somewhat expensive, but probably no more so than making a new GSF map and a new PvP map - everything else is already in the game. You could probably recycle most of the VO, maybe with just a few new additions. The turret models already exist - just port them off the domination maps and stick them in a building. PvP has a ship-based game and at least two turret-based ground games, so those are there. They could probably port a good chunk of the ground maps in from places like Alderaan, Tatooine, Hoth, Voss, and Corellia.

Of course, I guess getting everything to be three-dimensional might take some work. But I'd say it's worth it for the sheer pleasure of playing such a game.

True, gunships probably would be better turret killers. But strikes would be in a bit of a better spot than they are now. There'd at least be something for them to do, since you couldn't really mine the ground turrets. Bombers wouldn't have much of a place in the game, except to set up gunship nests.

Edited by TRFWesVos

Perhaps limit the ships to ONLY the Scouts and Strike Fighters. GS and Bombers would seem really over powered in this type of match and would deter many (imho).

Pretty much this sounds like a battlefront map, but I'd be very interested in it. Could revitalize PvP (pub side on my server needs it) and GSF (which only pops on weekends or mid afternoons on week days). Need to 20-32 man, with say 6-8 in ships rest as ground forces.

Mounts would be a must for me.

Only if they allowed friendly fire from strike fighters to ground forces. That way they aren't just spamming fire onto the battlefield. I am pretty sure a strike fighter's weapons are a lot more powerful than my sith's armor. I can see massive lag issues with this though.

Only if they allowed friendly fire from strike fighters to ground forces. That way they aren't just spamming fire onto the battlefield. I am pretty sure a strike fighter's weapons are a lot more powerful than my sith's armor. I can see massive lag issues with this though.

This isn't EVE. Backstabbing and betrayal and revenge are the point of that game, not this one.

Instead of automated turrets, they should be mountable a lot like the ones in, say, Colicoid War Game or Kaon Under Siege are.

The circle of death would be: scouts kill strikes, infantry in turrets kill scouts, strikes kill turrets. But, honestly, I think you're looking for Battlefromt 1. You could pick up an X-wing or a TIE Fighter and cause ground attack mayhem with it.

I think I vaguely recall that 16 - 24 is about the limit of what the engine can handle in terms of units/map.

There also could well be issues of map size scaling between ground maps and GSF maps.

So you'd probably be talking 4 fighters per side at max for air support, in a best case scenario where there aren't unsolvable issues of map scale.

Cool, but I think there are probably too many barriers to implementation for it to ever happen.