Utterly confused about 'Medpac' differences...

lymphangioma

I wasn't sure where to post this question (and it seems like a rather trivial issue), but I figured the 'General Discussion' ultimately generates the most traffic with enough grizzled SWTOR veterans to help solve my little dilemma.

Anyhow, since the 4.0 over-haul (I'm guessing that's when this change occurred), it seems that buying / using Medpacs has become a more problematic issue, and one I didn't exactly notice until recently.

For example, when I go to purchase Medpacs from a Stims Vendor (or what-have-you), the "health restored" remains the same regardless of which type of Medpac purchased - but mentions how the health restored scales up to a certain level.

Bottom line, could anyone please shed some light on how these apparent Medpac changes work nowadays? Now, if every Medpac restores the same amount of health, then what's the point in paying more for an 'Exceptional Medpac' over say a 'Regulation Medpac'? Also, does a Medpac's health restored ultimately "change" depending on which planet / level your character is scaled to?

Sorry for this rather rudimentary question, but it's really been messing with my mind. Again, I didn't notice this issue until paying closer attention to each Medpac's specs, and I'm hoping this fine community can possibly explain everything in further detail.

Edited by lymphangioma

I'm sorry but I never saw all medpacs heal the exact same amount?

It's always listed on the medpacs itself the range of healing points they restore, the higher the level, the more they restore (and ofcourse the higher the level requirement).

I've noticed that that only applies to medpacks from a given planet. For instance, all the Tatooine ones heal the same but have different names and prices but they heal more than the Coruscant ones. I don't know what the exact grouping is but you need to find one in the healing tier you need then purchase the cheapest of that tier.

It's a function of level sync. If you are a higher level and visit a low level planet while carrying a variety of medpacs, the higher level ones will be synced down to the maximum range allowed for that planet.

Some medpacs still have a minimum level requirement to use them, which is listed towards the top of their information. Other medpacs say they scale to level X. Medpacs that scale to a certain level are essentially "wasted" if used below that level, because you are not gaining the maximum healing potential for that particular medpac.

How you choose to equip is up to you, but if you pass level cap for a particular planet and want the most cost-effective answer, then do not use any medpacs that scale to a level higher than the particular planet's level cap. Depending on how far above level cap you find yourself, (along with factors such as your gear bonuses, presence, and companion influence), it is likely you'll find you won't need medpacs anymore until you reach endgame, (or content where you are scaled up to 65).

Edited by PiiTarr
clarifying information

Thanks for the replies everyone. Your info has helped me gain some deeper insight into this petty debacle of mine.

All in all, it seems as if this matter is DEFINITELY tied to the whole 'Level Sync' implementation. I'm not sure the devs even addressed this minor Medpac change when 4.0 rolled around, and therefore, wasn't even a rather noticeable issue until I began paying closer attention myself.

Even though Medpacs are only an “occasional” affair with my maxxed-out Merc, I ALWAYS keep a handful available in my inventory just in case. For example, I found myself still using a few during the Gree Event on Ilum this past week, and starting ruminating over the resemblance in Medpacs after purchasing the 'Improved Field Repair Droid'.

Now, normally I grab a bundle of more "advanced" Medpacs on GTN, rather than deal with most standard vendors found on any given planet (unless I've completely run out while in the field of course). What kinda' bugs me however, is that now all your existing Medpacs (regardless of their range of health restored) merely get "scaled" to whatever planet / level you become synced to - making the issue of paying “more” for a supposed "better" Medpac some-what pointless?

In all honesty, I've been fine with how Level Sync has altered the SWTOR game-play experience overall... sheesh, you just kinda' roll with the change(s) like anything else. Even still, it's these "other" issues that seem to arrive because of the aforementioned change that become a bit mind-boggling.

In fact, I simply thought these Medpac similarities were a "bug" that was never completely ironed-out. Anyhow, I can understand why these Medpacs are now appropriately tied to Level Sync. I just find it sorta' bizarre for these particular vendors to basically sell a variety of Medpacs at different prices, when they all restore the same amount of ranged health.

Oh well, at least they’re not as much of an essential commodity since 4.0 made the game a bit easier to say the least. Either way, my Medpac spending habits are going to be more closely analyzed in the days ahead.

One of my newer characters was doing biochem, and I totally understand your confusion because I couldn't even figure out what medpacs to make because the numbers on all of them overlapped and didn't seem to make a single difference in any way I could figure out. I finally just gave up on making medpacs and only made stims because the medpacs were just bizarre in trying to understand what ones did what.

One of my newer characters was doing biochem, and I totally understand your confusion because I couldn't even figure out what medpacs to make because the numbers on all of them overlapped and didn't seem to make a single difference in any way I could figure out. I finally just gave up on making medpacs and only made stims because the medpacs were just bizarre in trying to understand what ones did what.

I'm sorry to hear about your personal Medpac confusion as well - although, the fact other gamers are also experiencing similar issues is a testament to why I created this thread in the first place.

Before 4.0 and the whole Level Sync change, using / crafting medpacs was a more straight-forward and easy-to-understand process. For example (prior to 4.0), each variation of Medpac ultimately restored "X amount" of health depending on which one you purchased / used, and it was easier to differentiate between them all since they worked in their own unique fashion.

Nowadays however, you still have the same variety of Medpacs to ultimately choose from, but most of them simply heal / work the same (but at different prices) while also being altered / synced in such a way to accommodate your specific level or the current planet you might be exploring.

It seems that before 4.0, you paid more attention to the "health restored" - whereas after the 4.0 update, the "level scale" for each Medpac ultimately takes precedence.

Again, while I understand (to some degree) why these Medpac changes have occurred due to Level Sync, it's actually made this aspect of the game a bit more complicated nonetheless.

Edited by lymphangioma

you need to find one in the healing tier you need then purchase the cheapest of that tier.

but if you pass level cap for a particular planet and want the most cost-effective answer, then do not use any medpacs that scale to a level higher than the particular planet's level cap.

After tinkering around a bit more tonight and using the friendly advice / knowledge of the above individuals in quotes, I've been able to "mostly" wrap my brain around this whole Medpac Sync issue, and which particular Medpac is right for a certain planet.

As these guys above basically summed-up, and to kinda' put things in a nutshell...

"Find the cheapest Medpac available that doesn’t exceed that planet’s / or your player's scaled level - but one that restores health closest to your current scale."

For instance, a Medical Droid on Tatooine might sell the following 4 Medpacs - each of them restoring between 1668-2030 health. Now, the health restored scales to a certain level depending on the specific Medpac, which I provided beneath each one below…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Issue Medpac - 400 credits

Level 16 (scaled)

Regulation Medpac - 500 credits

Level 20 (scaled)

Field Medpac - 600 credits

Level 24 (scaled)

Trauma Medpac - 700 credits

Level 28 (scaled.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if my Level 65 Merc automatically gets scaled to Level 30 on Tatooine (and I desire the most bang-for-my-buck at this vendor), I’m going to purchase the ‘Trauma Medpac’.

This will ultimately allow my scaled character to take full advantage of this Medpac’s capabilities, rather than using the other purchasable Medpacs that will only scale to a lower level - which would be better utilized to a player already at said lower level for example.

Not to mention, buying / using a Trauma Medpac for instance, would be more effective (and less costly) than using say… an ‘Exceptional or Optimized’ Medpac in my Inventory which were purchased at a higher price elsewhere.

Plus, these latter two would still only restore the same amount on that particular planet, and would be better off utilized in a battle where they could restore their maximum healing potential.

Whew… my brain is spent just analyzing these Medpac variances and how they should be applied in the best manner possible. Anyhow, thanks again to everyone helping-out with this particular matter.