[Leveling] Armormech to Cybertech and Gunnery to Medic

AgeEins

Greets

I'm about to hit 25 and am in the middle of my Nar Shaddaa questing. I hear that the next Trooper companion is a great tank if you kit him out well, and to do that in the easiest way possible you need Cybertech.

Thing is, I'm at about 120 in Armormech and Scav / UT are near there as well. I've been meaning to play a healer all along but figured healing wasn't a great choice for a leveling build - from what I've read recently, though, that's not the case. Indeed I've seen some successful Smugglers running around with a heal spec and a tank companion, and I'd like to get in on that action.

Switching to a heal spec is a near-certainty for me now, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to switch to Cybertech from Armormech to make the best use of the droid companion? The supporting crew skills are the same, I believe, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I've invested a fair amount of cash into Armormech.

So is my best bet to stick with Armormech and continue leveling that, or would it be worth it, do you think, to switch over to Cybertech?

Edited by AgeEins

Well i'm currently level 30 31 medic trooper. I turned when I was level 29. Like you i'm Armstech (260) and scavenging (280), not UT rather investigation. Investigation is better for armstech btw. The thing is, with the tank, even with green armor, if you have a good rotation going, you're completely fine. At level 31 at least, you don't need to deck him out to make him useful.

Greets

I'm about to hit 25 and am in the middle of my Nar Shaddaa questing. I hear that the next Trooper companion is a great tank if you kit him out well, and to do that in the easiest way possible you need Cybertech.

Thing is, I'm at about 120 in Armormech and Scav / UT are near there as well. I've been meaning to play a healer all along but figured healing wasn't a great choice for a leveling build - from what I've read recently, though, that's not the case. Indeed I've seen some successful Smugglers running around with a heal spec and a tank companion, and I'd like to get in on that action.

Switching to a heal spec is a near-certainty for me now, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to switch to Cybertech from Armormech to make the best use of the droid companion? The supporting crew skills are the same, I believe, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I've invested a fair amount of cash into Armormech.

So is my best bet to stick with Armormech and continue leveling that, or would it be worth it, do you think, to switch over to Cybertech?

I would keep Armormech over Cybertech, I am Armormech myself (I am ~270 @ Level 27 [i try to keep my Crew Skills at 10*Level]). If you keep it up, it is (in my opinion) a better way to keep your companion up to date than Cybertech (unless you are going M1 or bust!). You may want to put some time into improving your skill though, as for best performance you want to keep your companion (and yourself) in up-to-date gear. Usually I make myself each new piece and the companion of choice (Currently Elara) gets the hand me down.

Edited by Syas

If you will only use Fourex then Cybertech would be better I guess.

The benefit to Armormech though is...it gears up everyone else including yourself.

I just finished creating two identical "Critical Powered Assault" suits for myself and Dorne, we are very stylish and have pretty amazing stats as well. I'm really looking forward to RE-ing the level 49 greens to see what I can come up with at endgame.

Thanks for the replies.

I just did a run-through of a heroic with a friend of mine, healing in my Gunnery spec with M1 in all his stock gear. He did very well as a tank. I think I might stick to Armormech and get M1 the occasional piece through missions or what have you. If I stay geared well enough then my extended healing capabilities should make up for whatever durability he's losing through comparatively inferior gear.

With that said, yeah, from what I've seen so far it probably will be M1 or bust. I loved the feel of the combat medic / M1 synergy, so he'll be my companion of choice from here on. Plus, come on, he's super cool in every way.

On a different note, when my Trooper hits 50 I might roll another and go Vanguard. If I do that, seeing as I will have a 50 Trooper with Armormech, what might be my best choice for that character? Perhaps Armstech to round out the package? I'm also intrigued by BioChem, seeing as high-end consumables will likely be great for credits later on as more people hit the endgame and get settled in. Any thoughts here?

I skipped to nar shaddaa to get the tank companion at level 18. Levelled to 19 by the time I finished it and having cyber tech wouldn't have done me any good -- his stuff is level 21 green.

Since you're 25, it's probably still good, but not that big of a deal. Armor will still allow you to stay current yourself. However, 120 of any skill isn't that high. Just keep gathering and make up your mind after getting him.