Been playing a bit now and have some questions please.

georgelappies

Hi All

First the game seems enjoyable. Not sure why all the negativity?

I starting playing on and off since about a week ago. I am still only in chapter 1 and I am already level 54. Just started on Tatooine now.

I have some questions now that I understand the game a bit better.

1. If it says for instance "Tatooine: 52" at the top left of the screen, does that imply that on my server there currently are 52 players on Tatooine? Thus there is no cross realm function in SWTOR?

2. Given the above, should I re roll on a more populous server if I plan to stay in the game for a couple of months (maybe even years)?

3. I rolled on a RP server as in other MMOs the RP servers tend to stay more active after the hype of a new xpack (or the new SW movie) waned due to the server population not just playing the game for PVE and PVP. Is this the case here as well?

4. Will I out level myself from content and block myself from completing the class quest line if I continue leveling at the current pace? Seems I could hit max level before even starting the first xpac...

5. Should I leave professions until after I completed the story in the game as they can be grindy?

Also I am playing a JK and like to play the "Paladin" type archetypes in games. However my companion Kira seems to be luring me in to a romance situation. This forces me to choose options I feel are IC against the Jedi code (understandably so as attachments can cause a lot of problems :)) Quite eager to see where this will lead to.

Edited by georgelappies

1 - Every planet have few instances (usually 2-3), with players spread out in them. 52 is number of republic players in the same instance of planet as you. All instances share faction chat, and you can change them from your map menu.

2 - IDK. 52 used to be pretty good number for a leveling planet. Can't say now.

3 - Probably. PVE english servers tend to be most populated, but again, I can't say for sure how it's now

4 - No. It will become retardedly simple in time, but you will get downscaled to some degree, and never will be locked from anything. (unless you start KotFE. That WILL lock you from almost all of previous quests)

5 - if you mean crew skills (crafting), then, IMO, it's better to do them as you go, instead of doing dedicated grind later.

And Kira is awesome :rak_03:

Edited by Frenesi

Hi All

1. If it says for instance "Tatooine: 52" at the top left of the screen, does that imply that on my server there currently are 52 players on Tatooine? Thus there is no cross realm function in SWTOR?

It means there are 52 players of that faction in that Instance of Tatooine. Some maps end up splitting into multiple Instances. The way you can find out how many instances of Tatooine there are are by hitting your M (map) key and looking at the pull down over the mini Map side of the planet. Click the pull down, and it will list the number of Tatooine maps as well as how busy each is.

2. Given the above, should I re roll on a more populous server if I plan to stay in the game for a couple of months (maybe even years)?

That's up to you. But take a look around on Fleet. On the planets you are on. How many instances are there. Are you enjoying the people there. And a whole lot of other things, to determine if you want to move to a different server.

3. I rolled on a RP server as in other MMOs the RP servers tend to stay more active after the hype of a new xpack (or the new SW movie) waned due to the server population not just playing the game for PVE and PVP. Is this the case here as well?

RPers are a stubborn bunch. They make their own content and stories which keeps them engaged with their characters long after the Cut Scenes have run dry. However they might expect you to emote back.

4. Will I out level myself from content and block myself from completing the class quest line if I continue leveling at the current pace? Seems I could hit max level before even starting the first xpac...

No, you will never outlevel your content. The planets have caps on them so if you outlevel the content you get rolled back down to the planet cap. Level Sync.

5. Should I leave professions until after I completed the story in the game as they can be grindy?

I always ran my gathering skills along side my leveling because, the nodes are right there. But yes you can go back and get nodes later. Or you can spend the credits to send your companions out to get all your crafting mats.

1. If it says for instance "Tatooine: 52" at the top left of the screen, does that imply that on my server there currently are 52 players on Tatooine? Thus there is no cross realm function in SWTOR? That means there are 52 people on that instance of Tatooine. If you look at the bottom right corner of your map, you can see if there is more than one instance. The different Tatooine instances on your server can talk to each other and you can switch to team up with people, but there is no cross-realm if you mean from one server to another.

2. Given the above, should I re roll on a more populous server if I plan to stay in the game for a couple of months (maybe even years)? That depends on what you want to do with your time. If you want to raid or pvp you might want to switch. Server transfers are cheap, so you can finish leveling up and see if you can find a good guild to meet your needs and to see if the queue pops on your server enough to keep you happy.

3. I rolled on a RP server as in other MMOs the RP servers tend to stay more active after the hype of a new xpack (or the new SW movie) waned due to the server population not just playing the game for PVE and PVP. Is this the case here as well? The most active servers that I know of are both plain PvE (Harbinger & Shadowlands)

4. Will I out level myself from content and block myself from completing the class quest line if I continue leveling at the current pace? Seems I could hit max level before even starting the first xpac... You can't outlevel the content with level sync, but you will hit max level well before getting to the expansions.

5. Should I leave professions until after I completed the story in the game as they can be grindy? Start crafting now and level it up as you go. At the very least pick up gathering skills and sell materials on the GTN.

Also I am playing a JK and like to play the "Paladin" type archetypes in games. However my companion Kira seems to be luring me in to a romance situation. This forces me to choose options I feel are IC against the Jedi code (understandably so as attachments can cause a lot of problems :)) Quite eager to see where this will lead to.

Hi All

I starting playing on and off since about a week ago. I am still only in chapter 1 and I am already level 54. Just started on Tatooine now.

And you question the negativity?

Not past chapter 1 and you're level 54. You'll be 65 as you hit chapter 2. There is a massive pile of negativity right there. You may be "level capped" throughout, however as you have all high level abilities there will be absolutely zero challenges for you now from where you are until the end of the game.

You won't die, there will be no chance of you dying. You'll hit level 65, buy the level 65 common crystal gear and that is it - the rest of the game played with no challenge, no risks and as you'll only be earning common crystals, very basically no point.

And you question the negativity?

Not past chapter 1 and you're level 54. You'll be 65 as you hit chapter 2. There is a massive pile of negativity right there. You may be "level capped" throughout, however as you have all high level abilities there will be absolutely zero challenges for you now from where you are until the end of the game.

You won't die, there will be no chance of you dying. You'll hit level 65, buy the level 65 common crystal gear and that is it - the rest of the game played with no challenge, no risks and as you'll only be earning common crystals, very basically no point.

I honestly don't see how this is a bad thing. They will have all their abilities early into playing storyline so they will be better at playing their class, have a better rotation etc.

In the EU or "Legends" Universe, while relationships between Jedi and others were frowned upon in the Old Republic it was not unheard of. (You will encounter this in the SOR expansion). The strictness of the Jedi against marriage really ratched up around 1000 BBY, However there were still exceptions to the rules based on cultural necessities. Example, in the time of the Prequels, the Jedi Council Master Ki-Adi-Mundi was allowed by the Jedi to have a polygamous marriage (4 wives and 7 daughters) due to the extreme low birth rate of his Cerean race.

Hi All

Because you are just a newbie, you don't know all the history back and poor decision on this game that's why you don't understand.....don't worry about it just play and enjoy while it last.

Edited by psikofunkster

Hi All

Ok so I feel the need to explain the negativity every time I see this question as some people who have "fallen out of love" with this game seem intent on trying to drag the game down with their sub lapse.

But basically 4.0 has brought nothing new in terms of traditional MMO elements (group content really, flashpoints and operations) the latest expansion has brought more of a solo play type feel to the game (some like this change some don't)

There have been no new operations implemented in the game since the last expansion (over 1 year) which has caused a uprising amongst raiders, especially since Bioware have said that there is noting coming up in the near future either. So basically these players (many who have been here for a few years) have found they can only run content they have already done lots of times with nothing new on the horizon and that the game has become stale to them.

Whilst these are valid opinions they (intentionally or not) have created a sort of negativity around the forums and in such a way that new players pick up on.

There are a few other issues such as a few poor decisions by the devs and that communication could be much better.

What I say to new players (and those returning from a long absence) is that for you it will take quite some time before new players get to the same stage as those players currently leaving and to enjoy the game for what it is for as long as you can, no game will ever hold your attention forever even with mmo's.

Edited by Jedi_riches